• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Do They Ever Retouch Unpolished Manga?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
This isn't a new conundrum by any means, though the most recent showing was in a recent chapter of My Hero Academia, which showed some obvious panels being nothing more than rough pencil drawings, due to Golden Week deadlines. Easily the most infamous example would be Yoshihiro Togashi, who would have entire chapters of Hunter X Hunter in the past decade be nothing more than roughly-drawn pencil sketches for the serialized issues, before actually drawing them properly for the later tankouban release. His past couple of returns have lessened this, so he likely gets them ready beforehand now, and then polishes them enough for the magazine when he feels ready to "return".

But, again, this isn't new by any means, and it doesn't even only apply to artwork. Masami Kurumada once revealed in the mid-00s that back when he was serializing Ring ni Kakero in the late-70s/early-80s, he was still fine-tuning the name for a character's superblow right until the deadline. Unfortunately, once he finally decided on a name, Shocking Fire, it was too late, so the serialized chapter featured a completely different superblow name, Dead End Fire, and it wouldn't be until the compiled tankouban that chapter would be a part of that the proper name would be first seen.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
This isn't a new conundrum by any means, though the most recent showing was in a recent chapter of My Hero Academia, which showed some obvious panels being nothing more than rough pencil drawings, due to Golden Week deadlines. Easily the most infamous example would be Yoshihiro Togashi, who would have entire chapters of Hunter X Hunter in the past decade be nothing more than roughly-drawn pencil sketches for the serialized issues, before actually drawing them properly for the later tankouban release. His past couple of returns have lessened this, so he likely gets them ready beforehand now, and then polishes them enough for the magazine when he feels ready to "return".

But, again, this isn't new by any means, and it doesn't even only apply to artwork. Masami Kurumada once revealed in the mid-00s that back when he was serializing Ring ni Kakero in the late-70s/early-80s, he was still fine-tuning the name for a character's superblow right until the deadline. Unfortunately, once he finally decided on a name, Shocking Fire, it was too late, so the serialized chapter featured a completely different superblow name, Dead End Fire, and it wouldn't be until the compiled tankouban that chapter would be a part of that the proper name would be first seen.

It's funny you mentioned My Hero Academia because I'm 100% positive that is why the person asked the question, since it was the most recent occurrence.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

It's funny you mentioned My Hero Academia because I'm 100% positive that is why the person asked the question, since it was the most recent occurrence.

I was gonna say the same Laughing I'm sure that's where the question originated from Laughing although some idiots was saying it was drawn that way for lightning effects in the concert like they never seen an unfinished panel before. heck that wasn't even the first time it happen in my hero or any manga for that matter.
tragedian

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's also worthy to mention changes to the panels overall to different markets, while not really having anything to do with unpolished panels, there are cases where sometimes like with the JJBA release, they changed a dog being killed to a rat, from what I remember.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
One very odd case I noticed was in Jun Maeda and Rei Izumi's Hibiki's Magic, where there was one instance where the tankobon actually removed a scene from the magazine; The scene in question had a character chasing after a messenger bird trying to steal the letter it was carrying, and in the magazine, this went on for like three pages of him luring it into a trap, whereas in the tankobon he caught it immediately. Having read both the magazine and the tankobon for the later chapters of that manga I noticed quite a few instances of the tankobon touching up artwork or extending scenes, but that was the only instance I found of them actually removing content for the finalized version.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I'm.pretty sure I also happened with Black Clover.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
^ Yes, this often happens with Black Clover. I’ve read several chapters where a couple of pages are unfinished.

I’m sure the popularity of the manga also has something to do with it. Artists like Kazue Kato, whose Blue Exorcist manga sells very well, can get away with these sorts of things easier than a newbie artist still trying to make it in the industry. The more money you make for the company, the more things like this can be overlooked..same as with any other sort of industry.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
It's very common for fanservice manga to get published censored in the magazine, then uncensoredin the tankubon; yuna and the hot springs is a good, recent example.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card arc added a page or two into the tankouban release to show the actual capture of a card, and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle's final chapter got an extra page to explain the potential origin of Fei Wong Reed.

Because of weird management issues, the function of grief seeds and Witches in Kazumi Magica were completely incorrect, but after Madoka Magica airied the plot twists and the secrets were revealed, the tankouban retconned the look of the "seeds" into "nuts" and a new type of generic, temporary Witch creature was explained away as another girl's power in the story. Kazumi's earring was also redrawn.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This constantly happened to DOGS: Bullets & Carnage.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
This constantly happened to DOGS: Bullets & Carnage.

I remember getting very confused reading Dogs because of half of the time you can't tell what the hell happened with those empty panels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1