• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lum Invader Turns 40 with Retro Collaboration Merch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the merch here. Looks pretty cute.

Beautiful Dreamer's re-release has given me a smattering of hope we might get some more of UY licensed once again in English. I would LOVE more of the manga, but won't hold my breath and would settle for pretty much anything being in print again. Maybe this anniversary will bring us another movie from Discotek.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I actually like the merch here. Looks pretty cute.

Beautiful Dreamer's re-release has given me a smattering of hope we might get some more of UY licensed once again in English. I would LOVE more of the manga, but won't hold my breath and would settle for pretty much anything being in print again. Maybe this anniversary will bring us another movie from Discotek.

Not likely--AnimEigo owns it ALL apart from Dreamer, or rather, they did, at one point. The only reason CPM got Dreamer in the first place was the fact that it was playing the arthouse circuit on reputation apart from the series, long before AE got the rest.
To get the license back would be a very big (not risky, but certainly big) venture, and Discotek might do it, but I doubt they could.
At least AnimEigo made competent and not-too-bad dubs of the other four movies and six OVA episodes, or at least at the level of CPM's Dreamer dub. (Which wasn't bad, considering the CPM dubbers had visibly never watched the show in their lives and were dubbing the Dreamer characters by ear and character type.)

At this point, even the rumors of Viz pursuing more Rumiko Takahashi after their Ranma 1/2 Blu-rays are too stalled to hope for-- Confused
So, I guess now we DO dream of Discotek getting the whole series and putting it on SD Blu-rays without a competent new dub.

(And while Lum technically didn't have a last name when Mr. Onsen-mark called the roll at school, nice to see that fandom has settled on "Lum Invader" as the correct last name. You wouldn't believe some of the guesses that fan-fiction made, back in the day.)

Quote:
The prices are Thank You Mart's selling point: the store's name is a pun on san-kyu (3-9, but sounds also like "thank you").

(Technically, that could be confused with someone else, but don't worry, I subconsciously confuse her with Lum all the time too. Anime catgrin )
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see more interest in UY in this country. It was largely out of annoyance that, when Viz originally cancelled Lum:UY in it's original run I bought the 15 wideban volumes from Nikaku back in 1991 (which I still own). Later I finished the Animeigo DVD set (with the USMC release of Beautiful Dreamer, 62 DVDs) when they were about to lose the license.

With the new Discotek Blu-ray release of Beautiful Dreamer I certainly would not be adverse to that company picking up the rights to the series though that's likely never going to happen. And sadly, Viz will likely never publish another UY volume, even digitally because it was a poor seller for them back in the day.

Which is a pity, because the series is still one of my favorites.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Does Viz still have the manga rights?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:
With the new Discotek Blu-ray release of Beautiful Dreamer I certainly would not be adverse to that company picking up the rights to the series though that's likely never going to happen. And sadly, Viz will likely never publish another UY volume, even digitally because it was a poor seller for them back in the day.

And even that day was twenty years ago, before the title was even known outside of college clubs and the AE mail-order VHS's of the TV series, and was just going on its strength as a cute wacky manga.
(Which even UY fans admit was just not that great compared to Oshii's later insane free-form jazz-riffs for the TV version.)
Note that even the Japanese anniversary merchandise is for the manga from their pop-cultural past, since regular folk are not allowed to express sentimentality for an anime series from their childhood...

But no, to Viz, there is no such thing as getting back on the horse, which is why we haven't gotten even the existing Maison Ikkoku TV eps yet either, that they already have dubbed.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, I know my hope is the smallest glimmer of a speck ever. But it was 100% dead before, and the re-release just breathed the tiniest fraction of a percent of hope back that someone might release something. I was only able to get the first 3 TV volumes on DVD and the whole Viz set of the manga back when I was a broke teen, so getting Beautiful Dreamer finally was fantastic.

I mean, we are getting Legend of the Galactic Heroes this year (although the release is stupidly expensive) and even Glass Mask just got tapped for a physical release stateside. Things I thought for sure were never, ever happening officially in English are somehow happening. So I'll keep that ember of hope quietly alive and an eye on Woodhead's KS page.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Not likely--AnimEigo owns it ALL apart from Dreamer, or rather, they did, at one point. The only reason CPM got Dreamer in the first place was the fact that it was playing the arthouse circuit on reputation apart from the series, long before AE got the rest.
To get the license back would be a very big (not risky, but certainly big) venture, and Discotek might do it, but I doubt they could.

The current licensor of UY anime in Japan seems to be Warner Bros (except Beautiful Dreamer), which out of all the American anime distributors Viz Media seems to have the closest relationship with. However, I do not see them going after such an old property they didn't have before.
Beautiful Dreamer could have been easier to re-license for Discotek since it's only one piece of the franchise and has not changed licensors in Japan. It's still owned by Toho, which CPM dealt with back in the day. The rights to the rest of UY's anime are more complicated as the company AnimEigo dealt with back in the early '90s sold off their assets at some point. AnimEigo probably let their license lapse, because it became too difficult to renew it.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Indeed, Discotek doesn't have the capital to acquire a 195-episode anime of a high-profile series. Hell, neither does AnimEigo to revive it, and can do all the crowdfunding it wants.

EricJ2 wrote:
Note that even the Japanese anniversary merchandise is for the manga from their pop-cultural past, since regular folk are not allowed to express sentimentality for an anime series from their childhood...

What? It's the source material manga celebrating its fortieth year anniversary.
the green death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah strange to comment that the manga is getting celebrated because the Japanese don’t appreciate retro anime when the anime isn’t 40 years old so of course it’s not being celebrated in the 40th Anniversary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1