• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Black Butler II License Expires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
More importantly, Shiki is set to expire on the same day.

Unlike Black Butler II, that actually is a show you should try to buy before it goes out of print.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for future anime fans that need to deal with Aniplex pricing xD.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Unlike Black Butler II, that actually is a show you should try to buy before it goes out of print.

Shiki is so underrated. Bought it during the Right Stuf BF sale a year ago after watching. Snagged when I knew the license would expire eventually.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
It's all cool. I already bought it. Although Aniplex making all their show disappear from legal streaming platforms, except for FMA, is super dumb. I want Baccano....
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Dealing with Aniplex prices would be irritating enough, but I think it is worse that Aniplex's approach seems to be not to renew licenses, and then just sit on anything that isn't FMA. If they don't plan to do anything with these shows, why not make a little money from a renewal? I suppose Aniplex might be planning re-releases when they are sure that there aren't cheaper copies available, but I don't know that there would be much market for Aniplex priced copies of shows that are several years old. Even less so when they aren't at least keeping these things available for streaming in the meantime.

Throw in Sony's purchase of Funimation, and it's hard to tell what, if any, plan there is.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler is one of those shows that really needs a more manga faithful reboot given how all over the place the current adaptation is.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Shiki is so underrated. Bought it during the Right Stuf BF sale a year ago after watching. Snagged when I knew the license would expire eventually.

Any fan of shiki should grab a copy while they can, the save edition is the only blu ray currently available in the market and once it is gone aniplex will sell in the hundreds rather than under 20 dollars as well as the fact it will probably be in parts. anyone who is still thinking of getting it. GET IT NOW>
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but it's not likely to happen.
At least, the 6 first episodes of season 1, Circus, Murder and Atlantic are good adaptations of the manga. The Prince Soma arc (eps 13-15) are fine, except for episode 15 and all its changes (the angel girl giving some evil curry to a chef, queen victoria covered with a veil (and apparently being a little girl) with her filler butler...)

I'd like to see a tv anime adaptation of the next 2 arcs (Public School and Emerald Witch)..
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I suppose Aniplex might be planning re-releases when they are sure that there aren't cheaper copies available, but I don't know that there would be much market for Aniplex priced copies of shows that are several years old. Even less so when they aren't at least keeping these things available for streaming in the meantime.

They might just do that anyway. R.O.D. TV was re-released by AoA 6 years after the final volume released by Geneon, and managed to drive up the price of all the Geneon volumes on the second-hand market even further as a result. It isn't as big of an age gap as the first Black Butler series compared to today, but R.O.D. wasn't exactly fresh off the presses either. That's the oldest one I remember them re-releasing, but there might be a larger gap someone else remembers.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Black Butler is one of those shows that really needs a more manga faithful reboot given how all over the place the current adaptation is.

I agree. Later anime adaptions have redeemed themselves and are much more faithful to the manga. Unfortunately, I don't really like the approach they took. Making one arc a proper TV season, another arc an OVA series, and another arc a movie. You're right, it does seems all over the place.

They should have given it 1 cour or 2 cour adaptions, then waited a few months until they got another season. It's the approach Weekly Shounen Jump has been using with their newer shounen manga, and it actually works quite well. Unlike the other filler infested trainwrecks that they have.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost, at least in regards to Black Butler Season 2. Shiki going OOP is a shame though, luckily I already own that..
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Trash is just being thrown out nothing to see here. Moving on...
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
That means a new Aniplex dub is gonna be released soon right?
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The first series was half good (the half that wasn't filler). The third series was great. The second series never should have existed.

Edit: Let me clarify. The Black Butler manga is brilliant. The anime is good when it follows the manga. The filler, of which 100% of season two was, was absolutely awful.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Season 2. It's far better than S1 at least. The first one was so boring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2