• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animation Planned for Hit Korean Drama Winter Sonata

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TNaran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
I watched the original Korean soap opera: Blech!

I found myself rooting AGAINST the lead heroine. The writing was amateurish with characters and plot twists that made American soap operas from the 80s seem believable.

Only good thing about this series was it seemed to change Japan's attitude towards Koreans.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
They needed permission to use Yon-sama's appearence? To me, Tezuka from Prince of Tennis already looks like him.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
I can't believe Bae's still going strong, but NHK's willing to pay $45 million for a wuxia-like special for him, with Joe Hisaishi doing the music.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
TNaran wrote:
I watched the original Korean soap opera: Blech!

Anime hyper Isn't that the point of Korean soap opera-- so melodramatic and out there, it's insane?

I dunno, as eyerolling as Winter Sonata is, 1) it's a classic, essentially, and 2) it was also my first drama. So I hold a LITTLE of it in my heart. A LITTLE.

Korean-Japan relation improvement is always a plus. I'm also a little surprised that there hasn't been a Winter Sonata manga or manhua made already, seeing how popular it was.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
The article itself says that there was a Manhwa, which was translated into Japanese.

And lumping all Korean Soap Operas together is like comparing Friends with Guiding Light. It's not a fair comparison. I will readily admit that while most Korean dramas bothered me (my roomate loved them when I lived in Korea), there were a select few that really intrigued me.

EDIT: Minor revisions. I hit the submit button too early.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
So they're not all like this parody? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1