• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Frontwing Funds Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Anime Entirely on Its Own

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I don't want to be a downer, but I hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the butt...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
I wish them luck, I assume coming back if this does not sell well, is unlikely.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
Seems like a risky move to do. But hopefully it draws in enough fans to the series to make a profit or atleast break even.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Source: Ryuichiro Yamakawa's Twitter account via Otakomu

It's a huge risk but also means more money for them if it's profitable and wish them the best of luck. I'll binge stream it if it's uncensored and I'll definitely be buying the home video when (assuming) Sentai licenses it
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
i would support the company more if I trusted a kickstarter funded project. really wanted too preorder the Grisaia Complete Box - English ver., but i dont have a huge amount of disposable income for it and the horror stories i read about how long it took for previous items too arrive boggled the mind, if it ever ends up on ebay or amazon than i'd get it :p

prolly wont end up getting the anime either.
two rules i go by when buying things are i purchase only dubbed anime and i order only eroge games that get hardcopies
kae kurono

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
what is the point? i don't get it. it only matters if this idea is affecting the anime's quality in terms of animation other wise what's the point of doing this the typical production way?

money?
Profit?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the have a little more money to work with now that they're starting to earn recurring profits from not only the Japanese market, but also the Western market now (via sales of their VNs and others they've helped bring to market)?

Whatever may be, hopefully it turns out to be a more enjoyable watch than the Grisaia anime was...
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It's easy, just make (or rather, keep) the budget a whole 8 yen.
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Maybe the have a little more money to work with now that they're starting to earn recurring profits from not only the Japanese market, but also the Western market now (via sales of their VNs and others they've helped bring to market)?

Whatever may be, hopefully it turns out to be a more enjoyable watch than the Grisaia anime was...

Drat! I was going to ask if the original Grisaia anime was worth watching or if I should just grab the VN from Steam or something. Was it really that bad?
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I enjoyed it for what it was, but can definitely say I've seen better as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Drat! I was going to ask if the original Grisaia anime was worth watching or if I should just grab the VN from Steam or something. Was it really that bad?

grisaia no kajitsu VN is in completely another class, its way better than sequel, and as for anime it was sorta trashy, still lovable to watch after vn,

grisaia no meikyuu/rauken anime is really great and better than vn, as I prefer anime medium, in the end they are basically the same, just vn alternative is something which puts whole development into a joke, sorta joy killer.

Imo get Grisaia no kajitsu vn play it, and then watch whole anime.
and lastly if you feel like it play its sequels.
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Hey 9029! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to find some time to play the VNs and watch the anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
what is the point? i don't get it. it only matters if this idea is affecting the anime's quality in terms of animation other wise what's the point of doing this the typical production way?

money?
Profit?
The actual budget might not be too different, but the studio's fortunes are more connected to the show's sales performance than usual. If it sells well, the studio sees a nice profit. If it doesn't, the studio takes a loss and may have to cut back or shut down. Under the normal model, studios are contractors hired by the investors on the production committee. They may not see anything extra if a show does well, but they're also more insulated from the fallout of poor sales -- even if hardly anybody buys I Can't Believe My Little Sister Reincarnated Me in Another World as the Demon King, the studio's got their fee, people got paid (to an extent), and they can move on to the next project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1