• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ultraman 3D CG Anime Premieres on Netflix in Spring 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
The manga volume should have said "Simultaneous worldwide release outside of the U.S. In such case, a binge-upload is done for the U.S."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Netflix, you’re green lit.

Netflix is all over 3D stuff as of late, huh? This seems more advanced than other offerings.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Why is it that so many Netflix anime is CGI anyway?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The manga volume should have said "Simultaneous worldwide release outside of the U.S. In such case, a binge-upload is done for the U.S."

Not necessarily. This assumes that it will be streamed week to week and not all at once everywhere, like some of Netflix’s true original anime, such as Devilman Crybaby, B the Beginning, or AICO.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why is it that so many Netflix anime is CGI anyway?
It could be because they are a western company, and are therefore more interested in the CG stuff.
Random Name wrote:
It's like Netflix is trying to ruin anime with all this 3dcg garbage. I refuse to watch it and just hope others are doing the same.
I won't be watching it either.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It's like Netflix is trying to ruin anime with all this 3dcg garbage. I refuse to watch it and just hope others are doing the same.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
How is CGI ruining anime?
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
That is a good news, I have been reading the manga and it's quite nice. I am happy we have Netflix now, with Japanese's trend to release all these all female/male cast crappy animes or stupid harem (my personal opinion), only 15% of animes each season were interesting for me.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Random Name wrote:

I think it is because I'm only interested in drawn animation. CGI looks bad and I'm not interested in watching it. Western animation was completely consumed by CGI and now it's starting to happen to anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The manga is a lot of fun, like Spider-Man crossed with Men in Black in the best way! I hope the CG isn't awful, because I want the anime to be worthy of the manga!

Galap wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
Random Name wrote:

I think it is because I'm only interested in drawn animation. CGI looks bad and I'm not interested in watching it. Western animation was completely consumed by CGI and now it's starting to happen to anime.

I prefer hand drawn animation too, but 2 points:
1. Only feature film Western animation is almost all CG. There are still plenty of hand drawn TV series & shorts
2. Not all anime CG is awful. Land of the Lustrous was actually fantastic! (Although it helped that the characters weren't human). Inuyashiki wasn't the worst looking show, either. #NotAllCGAnime (tongue in cheek, because I totally understand why people are turned off by CG based on some awful recent shows)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Both Kamiyama and Aramaki, excellent! Glad this is a series.

On the topic of CG, I've loved the look of each of Aramaki's CG movies so far (the first Appleseed visuals look rather dated now though, despite looking quite good at the time, whereas the rest still hold up visually much better and/or look fantastic in his newer movies like Harlock) so I expect this to be especially good CG. And Sola Digital Arts' three for him looked great. So them plus Production I.G I think is a promising sign.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Netflix didn't produce this Ultraman adaptation, as the IP is controlled owned by Shogakukan (& Shuiesha / Viz same parent company). So Netflix had nothing to do with the decision to use CG during planning. It's more likely that the publisher when deciding on the adaption, went with CG in order to have a more global/western appeal and to gain more money from licensing, resulting in the Netflix license. And to be honest it looks very much in line with western CG movies with Ultraman looking at lot like Ironman.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with CG anime. It's only when it's amateur level bad that I don't like it. (My only main quibble with it most of the time is that they still try to animate it like traditional 2D animation. Which looks odd when backgrounds scroll smoothly at 24FPS and the rest is choppy)
It's not like the majority of hand drawn stuff is perfect anyway, especially when actual large amounts of motion come into play.

Let's see how it turns out first instead of just blindly hating it because it's CG. It's not like CG doesn't take just as much effort and skill to make decently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1