• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2018: Me!Me!Me! with Hibiki Yoshizaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I want dat book!
Mad

Quote:
The panel ended with Iseki saying that Studio Khara was hard at work on production for the next Evangelion movie.

They'd better be!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I want that book too! But it's not a high priority for me at the moment.

What I want to see, however, is some physical release of these shorts. Not just ME!ME!ME!, but the other ones too. Their sporadic online presense makes it hard to rewatch these things.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
According to https://animeuknews.net/2017/11/studio-khara-animator-expo-dragon-dentist-blu-ray-in-japan/ the Japanese Blu-ray special edition of The Dragon Dentist includes almost all the Animator Expo shorts, though there's no word on whether they're subbed on disc as they were on the site. I'd certainly hope they are...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
According to https://animeuknews.net/2017/11/studio-khara-animator-expo-dragon-dentist-blu-ray-in-japan/ the Japanese Blu-ray special edition of The Dragon Dentist includes almost all the Animator Expo shorts, though there's no word on whether they're subbed on disc as they were on the site. I'd certainly hope they are...

Huh, is that so? I mean, some of them I don't need any understanding on what's being said to enjoy them ("I can Friday by day!" is one and is actually my favorite among them), but that sounds very bizarre for them to be tucked away in some other home video release, whereas I expected a release to highlight them collectively and had searched for that. But some others I absolutely need to know what they're saying (like "Kanón").
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also wasn't safe for Anime Expo's early afternoon crowd, and needed the help of a few strategically placed AX screensavers to make the screening a little more family friendly.

Those in the audience who haven't seen it yet missed out on the best parts! Smile
But is AX that strict on the fanservice? I mean it's no worse than other non-adult ecchi shows.

Anyways, I didn't even know there was a book and it's too bad already sold out, despite the steep $54 price Sad

I also didn't expect Crunchyroll to approach them for a show, but it would be cool if they did in the same raunchy psychedelic fashion.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
It also wasn't safe for Anime Expo's early afternoon crowd, and needed the help of a few strategically placed AX screensavers to make the screening a little more family friendly.

Those in the audience who haven't seen it yet missed out on the best parts! Smile
But is AX that strict on the fanservice? I mean it's no worse than other non-adult ecchi shows.

Anyways, I didn't even know there was a book and it's too bad already sold out, despite the steep $54 price Sad

I also didn't expect Crunchyroll to approach them for a show, but it would be cool if they did in the same raunchy psychedelic fashion.

I mean, it does have uncensored titties and vagina-piercings. So, not exactly in the same league as your standard TV ecchi show (at least not the broadcast version).

But yeah, I would have liked to check that book out. Maybe they'll do a reprint sometime down the line, but I doubt it. Usually for these kinds of special releases, once it's gone, it's gone.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
@Sahmbahdeh
I'm thinking about shows like the Highschool DxD series, Queen's Blade series, Seven Mortal Sins, Seven Heavenly Virtues, To Love Ru Darkness, The Testament of Sister New Devil and the raunchy OVAs which Funi also released (then you've got the older TV shows like Seikon no Qwaser or Yosuga no Sora that are more extreme)

As for the book, the link was to Otaku Mode, and I thought that was all there is, but it turns out other import places still have them like
https://www.amazon.co.jp/日本アニメ-ーター-見本市資料集Vol-4-「ME-BOOK/dp/4905033179/
and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2233748?s_ssid=e4637f5b4720d93b06
for less. However after factoring in shipping it comes out to the same (cheapest DHL option is $27)
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
As for the book, the link was to Otaku Mode, and I thought that was all there is, but it turns out other import places still have them like
https://www.amazon.co.jp/日本アニメ-ーター-見本市資料集Vol-4-「ME-BOOK/dp/4905033179/
and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2233748?s_ssid=e4637f5b4720d93b06
for less. However after factoring in shipping it comes out to the same (cheapest DHL option is $27)

I don't know which state/country you live, but I bought both "Cassette Girl" and "Robot on the Road" art books from Amazon Japan with $12 DHL shipping fee ($6 per book).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
azabaro wrote:

Huh, is that so? I mean, some of them I don't need any understanding on what's being said to enjoy them ("I can Friday by day!" is one and is actually my favorite among them), but that sounds very bizarre for them to be tucked away in some other home video release, whereas I expected a release to highlight them collectively and had searched for that.

You have a point there. However, will Animator Expo shorts released as a separate collection of anthologies make sales for Japanese side? Honestly Animator Expo feels like a mix of loose ideas and another plug of Evangelion franchise rather than solid anime anthology. Dragon Dentist is a part of Animator Expo brand by Dwango, so probably Japanese video publisher (MAGES.) thought that it would be better to represent as whole rather than chopping up to pieces.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@Sahmbahdeh
I'm thinking about shows like the Highschool DxD series, Queen's Blade series, Seven Mortal Sins, Seven Heavenly Virtues, To Love Ru Darkness, The Testament of Sister New Devil and the raunchy OVAs which Funi also released (then you've got the older TV shows like Seikon no Qwaser or Yosuga no Sora that are more extreme)

None of those were ever broadcast in the daytime though, at least to my knowledge, not even in Japan.

Theoretically, this panel could've taken place in the 21+ room, and though I didn't attend it, I did get the feeling they wanted to bring a lot of people into the panel rather than age-restrict it.

reanimator wrote:
You have a point there. However, will Animator Expo shorts released as a separate collection of anthologies make sales for Japanese side? Honestly Animator Expo feels like a mix of loose ideas and another plug of Evangelion franchise rather than solid anime anthology. Dragon Dentist is a part of Animator Expo brand by Dwango, so probably Japanese video publisher (MAGES.) thought that it would be better to represent as whole rather than chopping up to pieces.

To me, it felt more like an animation film festival than an anthology of any sort. Many of those HAVE been released as collections on home video (most notably Spike & Mike's), which is why I was hoping they'd do it for Japan Animator Expo.

But yeah, I don't think this sort of thing would sell well in Japan. It'd be a niche release anywhere, really, but it'd be something animation fans like myself would really like to have and to watch. Of course, What a Cartoon!, a much higher-profile western equivalent in which various people are given an animation studio and create whatever shorts they wish, has never had a proper home video release either.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I don't know which state/country you live, but I bought both "Cassette Girl" and "Robot on the Road" art books from Amazon Japan with $12 DHL shipping fee ($6 per book).

Thanks for that info. I'm in the US. I used cdjapan's shipping calculator.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
None of those were ever broadcast in the daytime though, at least to my knowledge, not even in Japan.

Theoretically, this panel could've taken place in the 21+ room, and though I didn't attend it, I did get the feeling they wanted to bring a lot of people into the panel rather than age-restrict it.

I'm not sure what the broadcast times have to do with it though, since the majority of anime are late night broadcasts in general. I was just pointing out other anime compatible in fanservice elements. But are the other such anime presented by the publishers either at booths or at panels also restricted to 21? It would be strange for non-adult shows.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's approach for Yoshizaki to turn this into a series is misplaced.

It's perfectly fine as it is and ideally only works in this music-video format. It doesn't need more extrapolation.

A better idea would be to get Yoshizaki and Teddyloid to work on a new original series together, if possible ideally with the same level of quality as in the video.

Or a more palatable idea would be if someone releases the Animator Expo shorts as a new anthology, like we had Memories, Robot Carnival and Short Peace.

Same for Genius Party 1 & 2.

Studio 4C also did some great conceptual shorts and music videos.

There are so many other short films of great quality out there that never saw any kind of release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1