• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Drawn & Quarterly to Publish Collected Works of Yoshiharu Tsuge

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'd been curious about this title since I saw mention of it in Fred Schodt's 2nd book on manga Dreamland Japan almost 20 years ago. Sad to hear the circumstances under which it's finally becoming available.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty monumental license. I too have read about Tsuge and "Screw Style" in Dreamland Japan and other places. Now that I think about it, his "Oba's Electroplate Factory", featured in Art Spiegelman's anthology magazine RAW, was one of the first works of manga I ever read (it's an excellent short story; definitely worth reading). Drawn & Quarterly is a perfect fit for this project, and even though I agree that said circumstances aren't the best, I'm glad it's happening.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This is really incredible. I've held onto my copy of TCJ #250 for years just for Screw Style, thinking that that's all we'd ever officially see of Yoshiharu Tsuge in English.

And I agree with the others here: it's sad that it took Tsuge's failing health for this to happen. But at least others will finally have a chance to read more of his works.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the reason why he refused all this time is because he thought non-Japanese readers wouldn't appreciate or understand his work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1