• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Hiroko Yokoyama Discusses Sexism in Japan's '90s Game Industry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
And now I learned why SNK crashed in 1999.

You deserved it SNK
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
read this on twitter and it's just all very sad. and from what I can gather, not much has improved in many other gaming companies.

Quote:
a response to the recent discovery that Tokyo Medical University has been lowering the entrance exam scores of female applicants since at least 2011.

WTF? Why would they do that? I mean, I'll google that since it's not the actual topic here but wow...
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
read this on twitter and it's just all very sad. and from what I can gather, not much has improved in many other gaming companies.

Quote:
a response to the recent discovery that Tokyo Medical University has been lowering the entrance exam scores of female applicants since at least 2011.

WTF? Why would they do that? I mean, I'll google that since it's not the actual topic here but wow...

Same reason as given here: Education is wasted on women since they'll just drop out & get married (also they were fiddling the results so well connected sons could get in).
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Quote:

Same reason as given here: Education is wasted on women since they'll just drop out & get married (also they were fiddling the results so well connected sons could get in).

On another note, I think Japan has to stop trying to chase the bubble boom nostalgia train and face reality. I'm sure there are a lot of close families, but Japan and its family culture is way much unlike its neighbors. In my family, the grandparents get the opportunity of watching the kids while the mother and dad go off to work if they both have jobs. Infact, that's the situtation as I am typing RIGHT NOW. If Japan's strict western nuclear family system isn't doing so well with them, then maybe they should lay off that along with the smug, materialism, and the game of catch up with the first world joneses. There's no excuse for Japan to pull this backass policy off.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Yet more proof that ethics in the video game community are and have been terrible for a long time and the problem of sexism was always there.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Yet more proof that ethics in video game community are and have be terrible for a long time and the problem of sexism was always there.

Heh, you aren't even getting into the thick of it...
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
And now I learned why SNK crashed in 1999.

You deserved it SNK

I'm fairly certain SNK went under because of the low sales of the Neo Geo in the free-for-all that was the 90s console war, not some random middle-management guy.

Kougeru wrote:

American universities do it to, and all for the same reasons. They want a certain percentage of admissions across certain demographics.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually proud of the comments in this thread.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
I'm actually proud of the comments in this thread.

I too expected fire and brimstone.

As to the meat, this seems like a legit sexist using sound reasoning for a bad purpose.

Why not offer these women some job security so they will keep the skills inside the company? The part that raised my eyebrow wasn't that women would give birth, but that they would naturally leave the company and never return.

What was the Maternity package like in the 90's? What was it like when that boss was in his prime? I'm leaning on him being somewhat sexist, though without fully knowing his circumstances as well I can only half heartedly condemn.

Though this seems to be about office culture in general, and I don't think anything dependent on which industry. Pretty sure it happens across many industries in Japan.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The man's remarks relate to the expected trend—which continues in Japan today—of women quitting their jobs after marrying and starting families
Sadly given the declining birthrate, that maybe something you will have to do.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sadly given the declining birthrate, that maybe something you will have to do.

No, that's probably (a small) part of why the birthrate IS declining. How many women will want to raise a family if they know it's a death sentence to their career? Things in the US are still pretty heinous compared to much of the West, especially when it comes to the lack of sane maternity leave, but Christ, at least we're not still riding the Sally Homemaker train.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that hashtag has been making the rounds this well, but it's always terrible that these situations exist at all.

This, plus WeToo, will hopefully bring even more change.

Going to be interesting to see how many gaming sites, if any, report on this and other similar Twitter threads.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Speaking from a pragmatic view, that manager guy isn't really wrong. It's the same reason companies wont put as much resources and training into temp workers as they would full-time employees. If it's more common for women to retire upon marriage of having children, then I can see the logic of businesses doing it.

Also got to point out this article uses the American boxart for the games, which Yokoyama had nothing to do with. She did the Japanese boxart.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The ingrained of the problem is shown in this thread:

https://twitter.com/LilithAlive/status/1027535818317955072

Quote:
My experience applying to work at Sega, as an average-looking foreign woman in Japan, a thread:

This was highlighted by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's former north Asia correspondent, Rachel Mealey. (I've been really impressed with the correspondents that the Australian ABC has had in Japan, both female and male, and also particularly with one of their Japanese team, Yumi Asada, being polite and sensitive but not shying away from difficult to cover issues in Japan).
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Speaking from a pragmatic view, that manager guy isn't really wrong. It's the same reason companies wont put as much resources and training into temp workers as they would full-time employees. If it's more common for women to retire upon marriage of having children, then I can see the logic of businesses doing it.

Also got to point out this article uses the American boxart for the games, which Yokoyama had nothing to do with. She did the Japanese boxart.

I'm not going to disagree completely on what you said, it's just sad that women are the only ones who have to carry burden of raising child(ren) in Japan. At least in the West, both men and women tries to balance work and raising family however they can.

Speaking of box art, that's something that writer should've done some homework before putting it out on the web. Finding Japanese box art isn't that hard.

Quote:
If Japan's strict western nuclear family system isn't doing so well with them, then maybe they should lay off that along with the smug, materialism, and the game of catch up with the first world joneses.

I don't know about Japan is being strict nuclear family system and keeping up with Jones, but how many Japanese women are willing to marry men living with parents? Plus there is that ever present Demon-wife vs Demon-mother-in-law conflict we hear so much about. More wealthier you get, more nuclear your family becomes, i guess? And that's not limited to Japanese either. Speaking of materialism, I see my well-to-do neighbors composed of working couples with high paying jobs are hiring Latino nannies to watch their children while working their hardest to paying off their expenses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2