• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Streams Hells Anime Film's English Dub Trailers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This feels like a bridge between an amateur dub and a professional.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! I forgot all about this movie. I imported it on Blu-ray years ago. It was really really awful.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought the animation was fine.

I had seen it "elsewhere" and considered the import but was glad I got a chance to look at it.

Yeah, it has narrative issues. That's usually what damns most anime including the most recent feature film I saw, Night is Short, Walk on Girl (which is literally a girl spending the night drinking and meeting weird characters -- 92 of the slowest minutes I've sat through in a while!). I don't know if the dub will really help or not.

There are some very good voice actors on the dub list, however.

There's so much other stuff I know IS good being released by Discotek that I have a feeling this film will be overlooked again.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I had seen it "elsewhere" and considered the import but was glad I got a chance to look at it.

Yeah, it has narrative issues. That's usually what damns most anime including the most recent feature film I saw, Night is Short, Walk on Girl (which is literally a girl spending the night drinking and meeting weird characters -- 92 of the slowest minutes I've sat through in a while!). I don't know if the dub will really help or not.

There's so much other stuff I know IS good being released by Discotek that I have a feeling this film will be overlooked again.

You act as if this is an "anime" issue. Pretty much every story in every medium has some narrative problems. Some of which are minor problems that are easy to overlook while others can be damning. I'd say narrative problems can be at times subjective and I think saying "most" anime is a pretty large generalization, but yes there are plenty that have big narrative issues. Just like there are plenty of Western books, movies, TV shows, and so on that also have these problems.

Also I watched Night Is "Short, Walk On Girl" and thought it was great. I knew what I was getting into and the type of movie, which is why I wanted to watch it. It's cool if you didn't enjoy it but my point is that our views on narrative problems is different. Where you found problems that were damning I found a great movie.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise this movie came out 10 years ago. I didn't know about it until last year and I saw Deadleaves when I was a teenager in High School back in 2005. I can't wait to watch this movie because it looks so good.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
How can you not at least check out a movie with a character named Hellvis?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Always glad to see TeamFourStar doing more official dubbing opportunities!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

You act as if this is an "anime" issue. Pretty much every story in every medium has some narrative problems. Some of which are minor problems that are easy to overlook while others can be damning. I'd say narrative problems can be at times subjective and I think saying "most" anime is a pretty large generalization, but yes there are plenty that have big narrative issues. Just like there are plenty of Western books, movies, TV shows, and so on that also have these problems.

Also I watched Night Is "Short, Walk On Girl" and thought it was great. I knew what I was getting into and the type of movie, which is why I wanted to watch it. It's cool if you didn't enjoy it but my point is that our views on narrative problems is different. Where you found problems that were damning I found a great movie.

And your point is?
Yeah, I have opinions.
I can't have them if they're different from YOUR opinions?

That's a huge problem nowadays. Why don't we just let people make up their own minds and leave it at that okay and NOT make it a federal case of it every time they make a choice YOU didn't make.
I don't care for most of the anime that's popular now but I don't make a federal case if people want to watch Dragonball or Bleach. Good for them if they enjoy it! Not my cup of tea!

I LIKE movies with good stories AND empathetic characters.
I also like films that don't BORE ME to death.

So I didn't like Night is Short -- are you REALLY that offended and care about my opinion that much?
I never said bad writing was a problem only anime had. Where the hell did you read me saying that?

So what's your point, or do you want to put more words in my mouth?

And yes, Hells Angels has some issues but I'm sure you'll "love" that film because you just want to be contrary to everybody else! Rolling Eyes
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

And your point is?
Yeah, I have opinions.
I can't have them if they're different from YOUR opinions?

That's a huge problem nowadays. Why don't we just let people make up their own minds and leave it at that okay and NOT make it a federal case of it every time they make a choice YOU didn't make.
I don't care for most of the anime that's popular now but I don't make a federal case if people want to watch Dragonball or Bleach. Good for them if they enjoy it! Not my cup of tea!

I LIKE movies with good stories AND empathetic characters.
I also like films that don't BORE ME to death.

So I didn't like Night is Short -- are you REALLY that offended and care about my opinion that much?
I never said bad writing was a problem only anime had. Where the hell did you read me saying that?

So what's your point, or do you want to put more words in my mouth?

And yes, Hells Angels has some issues but I'm sure you'll "love" that film because you just want to be contrary to everybody else! Rolling Eyes

Calm down dude.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
How can you not at least check out a movie with a character named Hellvis?

Wise words.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
You know you're in the deep end of the fandom when you look at the cast list and automatically think "Hey, it's little kuriboh!"
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
I never saw this. Sounds like it'll be a fun dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1