• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Manga Publishing Company Denpa Launches, Licenses Kaiji, Inside Mari, More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kaiji manga in print? Now I have a reason to live further
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This is so exciting!!!! Surprised
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Maiden Railwayssssss god bless

Also, hi to whoever else was at otabrew Wink
OingoBoingo96

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Bruh, freaking Kaiji. This publisher has already proven itself to me.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
"Kaiji, inside Mari"?
Sounds fun Laughing
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This publisher is already better for me than a lot of the other big ones. Right away they're putting out a lot of really interesting manga.

An Invitation from a Crab (Kani ni Sasowarete) and Kaiji are definitely two of my favorite manga and they're some of the first things this company licenses. I hope this company does well. Seven Seas and Viz media have had very lackluster lineups of manga for me. Kodansha are slightly better because of their great digital selection.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been requesting for Tetsudô Shôjo among some other comics of Nakamura’s to be translated in English for years. Very excited Ed nabbed it and to have a new company on the scene.

I’ve been kind of worried Nakamura’s work wasn’t performing as well as expected. Only a few English language publishers have dipped their toes into licensing any of her titles in the last 10 years usually, with several years in between doing so. So I really hope people open their wallets for this one and Classmates Seven Seas is redoing.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, how will this publisher distribute their books? I picked up 'Super Dimensional Love Gun' from Fakku, and I had to order/import it via rightstuf, which is rather expensive, when I get all my other US manga from my local amazon without additional shipping + taxes.

I see me picking up a lot from them, both from the start and in the future. Inside Mari? Jup. PEZ and Maiden Railways too, if they get a print edition.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Inside Mari is a definite buy, and I'll probably get the Murata artbook as well. Some of the others look interesting too but I'd find out more about them first.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Ed is back in the industry! I think he didn't like how Kodansha changed Vertical.... hopefully after DMP inevitably dies (but after they fulfill my damn Tezuka kickstarter), Denpa can pick up the Tezuka catalog from there.
Ed has good taste in manga, and letting him be in charge again is probably going to feel like old-school Vertical did (back when I liked them the most, honestly ever since Kodansha took over them, I've been wondering why they don't just fold it into Kodansha or maybe just keep it for novels or something)

But Kaiji! That's what I'm most excited for! Good slate to start off with! And omnibus format for Kaiji, at that!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I wonder, how will this publisher distribute their books? I picked up 'Super Dimensional Love Gun' from Fakku, and I had to order/import it via rightstuf, which is rather expensive, when I get all my other US manga from my local amazon without additional shipping + taxes.

I see me picking up a lot from them, both from the start and in the future. Inside Mari? Jup. PEZ and Maiden Railways too, if they get a print edition.

Fakku books aren’t widely available via amazon because of their adult content. No idea what denpa has planned, but I don’t see any reason why anyone who sells manga wouldn’t stock the books.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited to see Ed back in action!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Glad to see Ed is back in the industry! I think he didn't like how Kodansha changed Vertical.... hopefully after DMP inevitably dies (but after they fulfill my damn Tezuka kickstarter), Denpa can pick up the Tezuka catalog from there.
Ed has good taste in manga, and letting him be in charge again is probably going to feel like old-school Vertical did (back when I liked them the most, honestly ever since Kodansha took over them, I've been wondering why they don't just fold it into Kodansha or maybe just keep it for novels or something)

But Kaiji! That's what I'm most excited for! Good slate to start off with! And omnibus format for Kaiji, at that!

Yeah, when I learned that Ed was behind this new company, the specific titles Denpa announced made a TON of sense. It was like Old Vertical had come back! Out of this starting lineup, I will definitely be picking up Kaiji and PEZ, and maybe one or two of the others. Denpa getting Tezuka licenses would be amazing (another recent Kickstarter backer here), but even if that doesn't happen, that they're willing to take a chance on a mid-90s work like Kaiji gives me hope for more older manga in general from them.

Vertical does feel a lot more like a sub-label of Kodansha than they used to be, sort of like their version of Viz Signature. Seems like I used to buy roughly half (or more) of their new releases, but nowadays, most of what they publish is stuff that I'm not interested in.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This is really exciting news. Love the mix of initial titles (Futurelog, Inside Mari, Kaiji). Love having another manga publisher in the mix.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
I rather wish Seven Seas pick up Kaiji instead because I love their hardcovers and this Kaiji release is paperback only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2