• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - All The News From Gamescom

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Grandia is Back!:

Quote:
I find it weird how Grandia II is more fondly remembered than the original Grandia in the west: while the sequel is by no means bad, it's not quite as interesting or ambitious as the original game. Of course, that could have something to do with the painful localization Sony Computer Entertainment America saddled the PlayStation version with…

It's not that hard to believe. Grandia II took everything about the first Grandia and made it better, though admittedly the first game definitely captured a very strong theme of adventure. Grandia is sadly more remembered for its awkward dub, typical of late 90s PlayStation games that utilized voice acting. It was just another case of actors whose voices fit the look of the characters, but were given no professional voice direction, making many scenes lose their impact with flatly delivered lines. It would be fantastic if they redubbed the game with professional VAs, but I don't think that'll happen. Like Grandia II, they'll probably include the Japanese audio. In my opinion, Grandia II was far better in English since the dub cast consisted of some very professional voice actors from Metal Gear who hit every note exactly.

Quote:
I'm hoping that these reissues will get people excited about the series again: it still has what is, in my opinion, the best RPG battle system out there, but the series basically died after Grandia III's ho-hum reception. Maybe this will be what we need for a Grandia IV to take shape.

It's hilarious they followed up the horrible Grandia III with an online game that's long been since shut down due to lack of interest (I predicted Grandia Online's downfall would eventually happen). Ever since Takeshi Miyaji (R.I.P.) left after directing the first two Grandia titles, the series went on a sharp decline. I know Xtreme is equally despised for having dull characters and a lifeless plot that was simply there for the sake of having a plot, but it had the best combat system out of all the titles, especially thanks to the fact there were no loading times between battles. Like Grandia I, it suffered from a somewhat awkwardly directed dub, though the acting was definitely better than the first game.

Grandia IV would be nice, but considering the series has been essentially dead for years and the fact Game Arts hasn't worked on anything new since 2012, it's safe to say it won't happen...unless they appoint a different developer who can handle it.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting progressively more excited for Devil May Cry 5 with every announcement.

It's good the see that character creation is back for Soul Calibur, but I'm disappointed to see Tira as DLC. She is one of my favorites, plus it always irks me when an unreleased game makes announcements for DLC.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope langrisser 2 has all the path that der langrisser had, the imperial and independent path were great.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Good times.

Grandia: Getting the two classics back is great, especially for the Switch.

Bloodstained: Why do you toy with my emotions, Iga!? Sucks for Vita backers, but considering how Sony stiffed their own platform I can't blame Iga.

DMC5: Dante is dual wielding giant, serrated pizza cutters that also happen to be a motorcycle. And with one weapon DMC5 already surpassed everything that Ninja Theory thought up. That's the kind of madness I need in hack and slash and it's my most anticipated game for next year. Also, an interesting coincidence: the first DMC released this day 17 years ago.

Soul Calibur: Good times, though people are mad over Tira being DLC. It makes a certain sense since she's couldn't be in the story this early but announcing it this early is awkward.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
"What a horrible night to have a Vita..."

But seriously, Vita's been on the market for almost 7 years. Given how much of a "failure" the system is in the eyes of most gamers and Sony gave up on it years ago, it's more amazing stuff like this didn't happen sooner.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shouko (whose name is often romanized as “Showko” on merchandise, which makes me irrationally angry

Why because it's a horrible pun?

Quote:

A second OVA got made as well: Konranteki Sento Mahjong, featuring the adventures of Shouko, Miki, and Kasumi as they fight an evil rabbit-man in a magical mahjong world. At least there's actual mahjong in this one, and the budget seems a bit higher… but it's still dull and cheap-looking, and there's even less cartoon nipples.

Better get yourself some Poland Springs.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
No mention of the Gamescom coverage of Daemon X Machina, Shoji Kawamori's and Armored Core Kenichiro Tsukuda's latest mech game?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, it kinda tanked hard, so Seta very quickly went back to the drawing board to figure out how to sell their game. They hit upon the obvious solution: nudity.
When the chips are down bring out the big guns. Also is it just me, or does that OVA look a bit too bright.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Boobies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1