• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tatsuya Matsubara

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Decent interview, though it would have been interesting to address more of what has been going on with the new anime series lately. I am not watching it right now so can't really judge the material, but folks seem to be less happy with the newer show compared to the original game. If the first anime was a successful adaptation, it appears this one has led to more mixed results.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
IMO the zero version of steins gate focuses very heavily on okabe and the severe PTSD he experienced through looping.
The general consensus is that the series spends 'too' much time dwelling on his PTSD and would rather he get his ass in gear sooner.
I think that's very silly as the trauma isn't something he can just 'get over' no matter how much people yell at(characters) and get frustrated at him(viewers) for. Its got to happen at his pace or at a rate he's able to withstand, I'm sure there are bad endings in the VN where he does in fact crack.
Of course, there are other problems but those I'm willing to sweep under the rug - to an extent.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
0 is very uneven. Good episodes happen, but there are also very mediocre ones and the majority of series is rather meh.

Calsolum wrote:
IMO the zero version of steins gate focuses very heavily on okabe and the severe PTSD he experienced through looping.
The general consensus is that the series spends 'too' much time dwelling on his PTSD and would rather he get his ass in gear sooner.
I think that's very silly as the trauma isn't something he can just 'get over' no matter how much people yell at(characters) and get frustrated at him(viewers) for.

I think the problem is not that Okabe has PTSD, the problem is that the authors didn’t make it interesting and there is nothing to make up for it, so the viewers are stuck with Okabe moping around for the majority of the series and new characters that are just awfully uninteresting or annoying. Maho is the only one that turned out kind of ok, but nothing extraordinary.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I think the problem is not that Okabe has PTSD, the problem is that the authors didn’t make it interesting and there is nothing to make up for it, so the viewers are stuck with Okabe moping around for the majority of the series and new characters that are just awfully uninteresting or annoying. Maho is the only one that turned out kind of ok, but nothing extraordinary.

Thats certainly true his method of dealing with it is really boring but while i've never experienced ptsd before i feel like the experience would in fact be uninteresting.
At least I feel like this approach of watching him painfully 'spin his wheels' is closer to reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1