• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report - Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's anything to be said for Ulysses, it's that the show knows exactly what it's here to do, and none of it will be tasteful. If your anime viewing habits range somewhere between "dumpster raccoon" and "shameless voyeur", well, Ulysses' truly meager production chops hold it back from making anyone's must-see list, but its unabashedly trashy story is certain to yield its own unique kind of entertainment value this fall.

What!?
Sending Jacob to make a Premiere Report on a ecchi show is like send a vegan cover the debut of a new Texas Barbecue restaurant. Laughing Did Jacob lose a penalty game?

Looking on the long history of ANN with ecchi anime reviews (with very few of the reviewers liking ecchi shows) this kind of report make me think that this anime will be one of the best of the season for fan-service/ecchi fans.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
^Regardless of whether or not one thinks the reviewer was the best fit for the show (I’m sure the choice was limited by who was at the convention), I do think that the concerns about the animation quality already in episode one that Jacob brought up will likely prevent it from being considered the best of the season among any genre, unless there are slim pickings in the genre. If I had any anticipation for this series before, I don’t have much now after reading this.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get to see more of Montmorency's saliva action on more than just the girls' mouths Twisted Evil

but I expect for the full uncensored experience we need to wait for the blurays.

zrnzle500 wrote:
^Regardless of whether or not one thinks the reviewer was the best fit for the show (I’m sure the choice was limited by who was at the convention), I do think that the concerns about the animation quality already in episode one that Jacob brought up will likely prevent it from being considered the best of the season among any genre, unless there are slim pickings in the genre. If I had any anticipation for this series before, I don’t have much now after reading this.

He could've done without the jabs at the end but whatever. Regarding the animation quality, it's not even "episode one", it was a preview version of it as it was only 70% complete with cuts into incomplete portions. So while I don't expect anything extravagant I expect it will be better for the broadcast, and improved or fixed again for the blurays like all anime
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, from that PV, Mont is pretty hot and there's likely a ship with him and Jeanne (who is rather adorable)...I think I could take the ecchiness for the sake of watching these two on screen....maybe. I will watch the first ep anyway. Anime hyper
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It's airing in a month and the first episode isn't even done yet? shouldn't they postpone it for like...a year?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding the animation quality, it's not even "episode one", it was a preview version of it as it was only 70% complete with cuts into incomplete portions. So while I don't expect anything extravagant I expect it will be better for the broadcast, and improved or fixed again for the blurays like all anime

If they are only 70% done with episode one with a month to go, that would seem to indicate that the production isn’t going well. They could definitely make it better for broadcast, but if they are already getting behind, that doesn’t bode well for the following episodes.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Like another poster said, it was just a preview of 70% complete. We don't know at what time they reached this 70%. Depending on amount of work before the TV debut ,the animation will improve, i hope. But they probably save the best for the BD's.

On other hand this are not a Kadokawa LN.
Shueisha usually invest more money in their manga adaptations than of their LN adaptions so maybe the studio don't got much money to make the anime.

AXsiZ one of the 2 studios of Seiren. And even the anime was bad, the animation was pretty good. I'll wait to the TV debut to see if they improved or not.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, the animation will be better than Death March. Sounds like an interesting story, so I am game to give it a go.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
What's the difference between Fate Apocrypha & Ulysses? Question
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hopefully, the animation will be better than Death March. Sounds like an interesting story, so I am game to give it a go.

Yeah.

This kind of show could definitely use some nice animation to further make the eye candy appealing. Especially since the designs look nice for this one.

configspace wrote:
I hope we get to see more of Montmorency's saliva action on more than just the girls' mouths Twisted Evil

but I expect for the full uncensored experience we need to wait for the blurays.

LOL.
Yeah, probably a good amount of editing in this one.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
What's the difference between Fate Apocrypha & Ulysses? Question

Better animation, not being an ecchi series, and a number of cup sizes, to name a few.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
I am curious as to why the series has "Ulysses" in the title. If they had any James Joyce references (even though I have read his famed "Ulysses" book), that would be perhaps an inside-joke.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am curious as to why the series has "Ulysses" in the title. If they had any James Joyce references (even though I have read his famed "Ulysses" book), that would be perhaps an inside-joke.

"Ulysses is the Roman name for Odysseus, a hero in ancient Greek literature." (The guy from The Odyssey, among other things.) Which is also where the name of that James Joyce novel comes from, presumably.

What that has to do with Joan of Arc or an "Alchemist Knight," I have no idea, but Japan seems to have a fondness for random assortments of historical and/or mythological figures. Or a... fetish, perhaps.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Like another poster said, it was just a preview of 70% complete. We don't know at what time they reached this 70%.

The thing is, this was supposed to be a "World premiere". What kind of premiere shows only 70% of the product completed? One that has serious delays happening. For a quick comparison, by this point in time, Yuri on Ice already had 3 episodes completed (minus the opening which needed minimal adjustments), and that was a show that got into quite a bit of production issues in its second half. Ancient Magus Bride also hosted a 3-episode premiere a full two months before the anime aired and the episodes were completed. The fact that they were hosting a "Premiere" and yet didn't even manage to finish the episode they were supposed to show speaks of severe production issues. I don't follow premiere reports super closely, but I'd never heard of an anime series showing a premiere at a con and not having at least one full episode to show, let alone with so little time left before the episode is set to air.

This reminds me of that storyline in Girlish Number in which they're supposedly hosting a pre-screen of episode one, but the production is such a disaster they end up showing just a PV and it's an embarrassment for everyone involved
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I know that it was gonna be crap and voila, was confirmed already. Of course I ain't touching this with a ten foot pole now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2