• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gaina Announces Uru in Blue Anime for 2022, New Top o Nerae! 3 Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
Man if this Blue Uru thing actually materializes in 2022, it'll be 30 years after it was announced. People like to meme about Half Life 3, but that ain't got nothin' on this.

I really hope it eventually happens, since I really liked Honneamise and would really like to see more of that universe.

Last edited by Galap on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wow. Gunbuster 3 was something that I knew could possibly happen - Diebuster was made years after the original after all, and added to a story that was probably considered open and shut - but to hear that it's actually happening is still amazing.

Gunbuster is one of my favorite animes and Diebuster isn't too far behind. The way Diebuster was so stylistically different, but thematically a great follow-up to Gunbuster was amazing, and I feel bad for the people who don't like it.

I hope they continue to do the unexpected with this new sequel, and change the style up again. It's not exactly what I want but I would NOT be surprised if the protagonist/s were male this time.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Man if this Blue Uru thing actually materializes in 2022, it'll be 30 years after it was announced. People like to meme about Half Life 3, but that ain't got nothin' on this.

I really hope it eventually happens, since I really liked Honneamise and would really like to see more of that universe.

+1000. I really hope they can pull it off as Honneamise is one of my favorite anime films ever. On the other hand, it's kinda sad to think that unique, heartfelt projects like this (or the one about Hiroshima announced a few days ago) have to go through hell and beyond to get made while we get a flood of generic trash greenlit left and right... Confused
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Oh right, Gainax is now Gaina, it's gonna take a while to get used to that
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Very excited for Gunbuster 3...
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd be a more excited about this news if Gaina(x) wasn't just a pale shadow of what it once was. All the talent that produced the shows they're famous for is long gone. Not to mention that I wouldn't be surprised at all if these projects never actually happen. It's only been 30 years or so for Aoi Uru, what's another decade or two?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Uru in Blue! Excellent to hear that it's still in the works. I'm happy to see that the temple screen art seems to suggest that all the gorgeous design work done previously hasn't been totally scrapped. I'm hoping for something that will reflect all the visuals we've seen up to this point rather than making it generic just to get it out. This might just be my most-anticipated anime. I imagine the machinery will be CG now, but hopefully it'll be in the vein of really good CG that carefully blends with anime--more Yukikaze than Macross Zero. This was supposed to be about the fighter pilots of the world of Honneamise, so if we end up with something that blends the humanity and action of Honneamise, Battle Fairy Yukikaze, and Area 88, I'll be over the moon.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's way too far off to guess but I seriously hope they dub Gunbuster 3 so we at least have one entry in the franchise in English...stupid sound masters/Bandai Visual USA...

Also hoping Uru turns out good.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Uru...ah, it's been so long since I first heard of it's existence. Pretty sure I first heard about it in the mid-late 90s, around the time I first watched Wings of Honneamise. So perhaps I will finally watch Blue Uru on 2022...when I am 60 years of age.

Or not...after all how many times has it been put aside at Gaina(x)?. Oh well, at least I still have the couple of wonderful Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Aoi Uru illustrations to look at, in his Alpha art book!

As for Top o Nerae 3? WHY? Top o Nerae from the late 80s is one of my all-time favorite OAVs, with Noriko Takaya having long since became iconic, and while I liked Diebuster there's only a couple small points where it actually shows it is a part of the first (the conclusion being the truly big part of the reveal), so what are you gonna show with the third?

How Noriko and Amano whiled away the time before they made it back to Earth Smile?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
^: A new story, which is what a sequel is? That's what Diebuster was, and that's what this will presumably be, too. I don't want them to revisit the old characters, I just want more Gunbuster/Diebuster style crazy space stuff. Thinking that it has to literally relate to the old work in an immediately obvious way is so boring.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Timely, I'm finally watching Gunbuster and Diebuster for the first time right now. I'd be excited, but does nu/remnant/whatever Gainax have anything close to the level of talent left to pull off something decent? When you have Anno and Kazuya Tsurumaki as your previous directors, those are huge shoes to fill.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
See you in 4 years everyone... At least it´s the 30 year anniversary. Not thank you regarding Gunbuster 3 though. The franchise is on a downward trend already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
First Gunbuster has the best ending I have ever seen.

But I loved Diebuster as well for what it was.

I won't lie, I'm really happy for third Top wo Nerae!, and I wish guys that they surprise us all, and make something nice.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Wanna place bets on if we see this first or the next Eva movie?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
When I first saw the headline, I thought Gainax had just been misspelled. This is going to take some getting used to..

Psycho 101 wrote:

Wanna place bets on if we see this first or the next Eva movie?

Well if both stick to the currently stated dates, we'll get Eva first. Since I don't recall ever actually having a previous date for Eva 4 prior to them announcing it for 2020(other than the original timeline of each of the four being 2 years apart placing Eva 4 in 2013), I'm betting we see Eva 4 first, as planned, in 2020.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2