• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I want to know more about anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seriously...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm clueless about the anime industry. How it works, how anime is produced, what is the budget for shows and movies, working conditions for staffs, how much do studios earn from tv networks, merchandise, dvds, role of production committees(and how big a cut they take), original IPs ownership, licensing from mangas and light novels, licensing for international audiences and why KyoAni is the exception.

So I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to articles and interviews which provides insightful knowledge on the things stated above and more. It doesn't have to be a complete list of sources but just some articles or blogs for an introduction of sort, I can do the rest from there(hopefully).
I just want to know more about anime.

[I apologize if any rules are broken]
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Answerman should be what you're looking for. It should have the answers you seek. They'll just be buried under a bazillion articles.
Seriously...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry about the late reply. For whatever reason I couldn't get back to you sooner. And thanks for suggesting Answerman. I'm not a regular here so I didn't knew there was a dedicate section for things like that. Most of the stuff here are really intriguing and I've already found some of what I was looking for. Hopefully I find the rest of my answers without having to dig too deep into that archive.
And again, thank you.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Seriously...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Don't have much to add other than to leave a comment here to acknowledge that I've read what yuna49 has posted. Very eye opening stuff written here. Always had suspicions when watching Shirobako that what was shown in the show was put mildly compared to reality. Criminally low wages, overworking, deaths and quitting dream professions maybe prevalent throughout most entertainment industries but it doesn't make it any less disheartening. I honestly don't know what would cause the anime industry to change for the better. Anime going mainstream or having better trade unions I don't know. I hope Answerman has some articles giving ideas as to what could be and should be done.
Not trying to imply that having a clear map and a compass will solve 90% of the problem, I just want to know what steps the industry could take. (Also I'm not completely alien to the concept of 'beneficial for the industry but not so much for the consumer')

Thank you yuna49 for bringing my attention to this.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I think I can help, but it'll take some effort on your end. Just ask specific questions about the industry and someone on here will give you specific answers.
Seriously...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Okay then. Here it goes, What would be a better alternative for animators being paid per frames i.e. 200 yen (possibly less) per drawings? Should the pay be upped or should there be a better business model practically speaking. And how hard are these changes to implant if it occurs at all? And how much is KyoAni's business practices better than your average studio, if any at all?

Also, can someone give me an estimation of the standard industry burn rate?
Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Gonna add one more question to the post.
Was the working conditions and wages in the 'golden age of anime' (the 80s) any better than it is now or is it the other way around? Of course taking into factor how anime was made back in the day (cel animation) compared to digital animation, I imagine this wouldn't be an easy one to answer.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
For anime industry hard data:
http://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data

The understand anime first one has to understand it's roots: Manga.

The best book in English about manga is this 1984 classic:
https://www.amazon.com/Manga-World-Japanese-Comics/dp/1568364768

The 1996 sequel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CW0P6DC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

A more recent book about manga also contains a lot of interesting material:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXK8VY6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the low wages of the anime industry: all artistic professions tend to pay lower wages than other professions. The reason is that art is not done for money but instead it's done by the desire for the self expression of the artist. If the people working in the anime industry wanted to make more money they could quit and move to a better paying job. However, they sacrifice their financial future in exchange for the opportunity to express themselves.

It has nothing to do about how the anime industry is "organized": workers in anime are badly paid because they are willing to work for low pay. If the industry is somewhat reorganized in a way that financially improves it and the revenues of anime studios increases the demand for animators will increase but since the workers are willing to work for low wages more people will be hired in the industry without increasing wages.

However, in my impression the anime/manga/videogames industry complex is already extracting most of the revenues it can. Maybe with exponentially increasing demand from China that will eventually lead to a massive increase in demand for animators which might finally increase their wages.

Or maybe not, they will just outsurce animation work to other countries: already about 70% of the people employed by the anime industry are employed outside of Japan. Most of the animation of many series such as Asobi Asobase was done by people from South East Asian countries such as Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand, where labor is cheaper than in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1