• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Russian Official Claims Link Between Anime and Child Suicide

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The news article classifies anime fandom as an "anime-cult" and one of the main ways to "manipulate children" into suicidal ideation, rebellion against their parents, and homosexual tendencies.

Day by day Russia is becoming more ridiculous. Laughing
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She allegedly watched an anime starring a character with a super-power who "wants to commit suicide but can't."

spoiler[Kaido] from One Piece?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Live long enough and you will likely have heard similar arguments made against everything from rock and roll music to pet rocks, to pogs and today's favorite whipping boy, social media. I'm pretty sure my someone in grandparents village back in the meiji era said the same thing about electricity, the steam engine and the typewriter.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but why are you posting Russian propaganda here?

There will always be people who are vulnerable to stuff but the majority of the people dont have any issues. Same goes with violent games, its way to easy to blame games or anime or w.e.

The source of the problem is the issues surrounding the person itself. If a person does something horrible and its a reference to an anime or games or w/e its still not that medium fault. But a failing system to help that person. Or parents that fail to raise someone in a proper way.

But im sorry animenewsnetwork staff. Any Russian propaganda bullshit shouldn't be on here.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I hear Russia, suicide, and anime in the same sentence, my mind always goes back to the teenager who threw himself off the roof after spoiler[Itachi was killed off] in Shippuden.
gacha

There's no russian propaganda here, it's just a bunch random silly people running their mouths who are always ridiculed by their folks back in Russia, every country has a few of those. I'm always amazed just how far the mostly baseless anti-russia propaganda has come, the most suggestible people become a literal walking prejudice, some things never change.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

TheMorry wrote:
But im sorry animenewsnetwork staff. Any Russian propaganda bullshit shouldn't be on here.

Anime News Network has readers around the world and moves by government entities to restrict or censor access to anime is newsworthy. It is not my intention in publishing the article to legitimize the reasoning behind state-sponsored censorship, but to make readers aware that it is happening potentially within their communities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Omg, this russian article is literal shit-post. You could consider it as some sort of animemaru type of news (I mean, there's no proofs, no links, nothing - just plain text that enyone could write).
feitan000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Omg, this russian article is literal shit-post. You could consider it as some sort of animemaru type of news (I mean, there's no proofs, no links, nothing - just plain text that enyone could write).

Thanks you lol Laughing journalism at its finest
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Yeah, except it made on major info site and not on the satiric blog. However, I too will not justify this nonsense, because it's complete idiotic rant that is similar to the statements of some people about banning of video games in connection with incidents in schools. And the fact that it is written in Russia doesn't mean anything.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The country has previously looked to restrict certain animated programming under child protection laws including Ikki Tousen and GTO.

There's 2 anime that I don't think I've ever heard put in the same category.

Takkun4343 wrote:
my mind always goes back to the teenager who threw himself off the roof after spoiler[Itachi was killed off] in Shippuden.

Kind of surprising. If somebody was going to do that, wouldn't it have made more sense to do it earlier, after they completely retconned his entire backstory and motivation. That was basically when I quit Naruto forever.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Comi..... I mean Rock &..... I mean Video ga..... I mean Anime is totally the problem. Our society is perfect and the only problems come from things that are different. Sigh, these type of stories annoyed me so much
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
anime, manga, games, music etc can effect the way people see their own real life.. for example if a teenager watched a romance anime and enjoyed some romantic songs in the end he/she may try to have a romantic relationship of their own~ the anime may encourage them to talk to the opposite sex/giving them hand made gifts or whatever stuff they learned about.. and if romance can do that then weird or violent etc stuff may do their work as well. it depends on the person in the end but calling entertainment harmless just because its labeled entertainment is delusional.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh man here we go again...
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
1 - Lack of access to mental health causes suicide among teens, not anime/heavy metal/horror movies/videogames/Insert crappy reason. Maybe making a fairer, more open society reduces suicide... Maybe?

2 - LGBT are LGBT, wheter they watch anime or not, and that's fine.

3 - You're just full of ****.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3