• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Last and First Idol" by Gengen Kusano

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The wonderful cover did me in......

Light novel seems to be made up of three separate stories. I have only read the first story and half of the second one. Though it would be a safe bet to say all three stories, evolution is the common theme across all three.

The book cover and title are for the first story. The book cover graphic only applies for the first several pages of this particular story, after that you can throw it away, and enter a world of horrific destruction, massive predation, and evolutionary nightmares lasting eons. Finally ending on an esoteric '2001: A Space Odyssey' type note.

The second story revolves around the gacha machine gimmick. The lady office worker gets addicted to cash gacha gimmicks in a mobile game, and later ends up gacha reincarnated as an girl amoeba, who has to gacha herself into higher multicellular lifeforms to save her life.

The first story is nightmarish and the second story you are going to have to like reading about single and multicellular organisms.

The third and final story is called Dark Seiyuu. One would guess it would consist of a evil female voice actress who somehow evolves into a Dark Seiyuu whose very voice destroys humanity.

I will finish this sometime, but you have been warned.

EDIT: According to Amazon it has won several short story awards. So what do I know....
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The wonderful cover did me in......

Light novel seems to be made up of three separate stories. I have only read the first story and half of the second one. Though it would be a safe bet to say all three stories, evolution is the common theme across all three.

The book cover and title are for the first story. The book cover graphic only applies for the first several pages of this particular story, after that you can throw it away, and enter a world of horrific destruction, massive predation, and evolutionary nightmares lasting eons. Finally ending on an esoteric '2001: A Space Odyssey' type note.

The second story revolves around the gacha machine gimmick. The lady office worker gets addicted to cash gacha gimmicks in a mobile game, and later ends up gacha reincarnated as an girl amoeba, who has to gacha herself into higher multicellular lifeforms to save her life.

The first story is nightmarish and the second story you are going to have to like reading about single and multicellular organisms.

The third and final story is called Dark Seiyuu. One would guess it would consist of a evil female voice actress who somehow evolves into a Dark Seiyuu whose very voice destroys humanity.

I will finish this sometime, but you have been warned.

EDIT: According to Amazon it has won several short story awards. So what do I know....

But look carefully at the illustration... You see the spider web? The jellyfish button? The.... brainmatter?

Also when I designed the logo I subtled put an easter egg into the text itself: The outline highlight and the bumpmap texture are actually taken from the cosmic microwave background radiation map, the WMAP. (The background with the light sticks is actually from hubble data that I modified).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
But look carefully at the illustration... You see the spider web? The jellyfish button? The.... brainmatter?

Also when I designed the logo I subtled put an easter egg into the text itself: The outline highlight and the bumpmap texture are actually taken from the cosmic microwave background radiation map, the WMAP. (The background with the light sticks is actually from hubble data that I modified).

Thanks for the info. The cover was fantastic. It is the main reason I bought the book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1