• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Karakuri Circus

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this is one of my favorite shows this season. I also enjoy the author's other works.

Only part I'm wondering is how they will adapt the rest of this considering how long the manga is. 3-cour will still have content omitted but I'm definitely satisfied from what they have shown so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
This really is my kind of show the concept is bonkers but it's the kind of absurd/crazy I readily jump on board with. The look the tone everything about this show screams Kazuhiro Fujita and that's great because I absolutely loved Ushio & Tora.

That series was an emotional thrill ride and I'm expecting exactly the same thing with Karakuri Circus. Even better Narumi Katō is voiced by Rikiya Koyama (Tora) so watching this is gonna feel like putting on a comfy pair of slippers.

The icing on the cake is we're getting 36 episodes, so we can settle in and enjoy the long haul.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I hadn't even heard of this before watching the first episode, but from the author of Ushio and Tora and opening by Bump of Chicken are enough to sell me on it. This looks like it'll be a fun ride.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm digging the retro style of the show and it's well crafted even outside of that. I do wish they'd tone the forced rivalry between Narumi and Shiro, it wasn't really established well and at this point it's just there because it has to.

I'm not quite sure about the bad guy suddenly turning coat and helping the main character, it's seems obvious he's going to betray them at some point, so now that they have his car, why not just dumb him on the side walk?
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
This may be the first old school shonen series where most of the English audience has no idea where it's going and can't read ahead even if they want to. The vast majority of the manga seems to remain untranslated even as online scans.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:

The icing on the cake is we're getting 36 episodes, so we can settle in and enjoy the long haul.

Given that the first two episodes only adapted a single volume of the manga (and had to skip some action to do that) and there are 43 volumes, 36 does not seem enough.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
The big question for me is: who going to pick up translating the manga again?

I'm loving the anime despite some slightly rushed bits, but I wanna see how the manga plays out ever since the guy translating it dropped it.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Was it just me or did anyone else think the uncle looked like a Mr Rogers?
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I gotta say, I like the big line/picture of the story but I'm finding myself skipping around scene quite a lot because the writing isn't that thigh and the animation isn't great either. The uncle segment was really absurd, Masaru comes in like a lion just to fold immediately (they could have easily threaten the uncle to force him to release the others) and then he attack the uncle but there's no repercussion from it (he still has his hostage but does nothing). Narumi just getting out of his cage at will also ruin a bit the tension, why didn't he do that earlier?

The perfectly intact arm surrounded by burned wood also was more humorous than anything, which really killed the tension (I'm gonna bet on him coming back but with amnesia, or maybe has a puppet himself, which will really once again be funny when it's supposed to be tragic).
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The perfectly intact arm surrounded by burned wood also was more humorous than anything, which really killed the tension

Well, it did get a good chuckle out of me, so Narumi might have been pleased since he loved making people laugh...

I really liked Ushio & Toro which is why i was looking forward to this show, but with the plot being all over the place and the drama switching between being cringeworthy and unintentionally funny, i've been pretty disappointed so far.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I think the show's problems have a lot more to do with the relatively low episode count (36 episodes to cover 43 manga volumes) than with the source material. The first two episodes, which covered half a volume each, flowed rather well, but the next two suffered for having to cover a volume each. It's a good thing that author Kazuhiro Fujita himself is sharing the series composition duties with scriptwriter Toshiki Inoue, but I suppose even he must be struggling with this thankless task.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I think the show's problems have a lot more to do with the relatively low episode count (36 episodes to cover 43 manga volumes) than with the source material. The first two episodes, which covered half a volume each, flowed rather well, but the next two suffered for having to cover a volume each. It's a good thing that author Kazuhiro Fujita himself is sharing the series composition duties with scriptwriter Toshiki Inoue, but I suppose even he must be struggling with this thankless task.

Honestly if I could change something about the show I would make it cover most event faster (and use the saved time on more interesting fight). Most conversation just dragged, Maseru encounter with uncle could have been done far quicker and would have been better for it, same with the segment in the cage. Shirogane backstory is also very typical, they could leave most of it to our imagination and it would just be entertaining that way.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
The things that the anime missed were some of the puppets that were present, there were more puppets in the manga.

Also, there was more subplot with the uncle, and Masaru had a moral dilemma as to whether or not he would save him. I guess that had to be cut out for the sake of time, but I bet the content could've flowed better if they had an extra 1-2 episodes...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
so, caught up after only seeing episode 1 after it came out and my god they are going through this series at hyper speed. 4 episodes in and they've covered 26 chapters from the manga. That's literally what most entire anime seasons cover, now I know how they plan on fitting the entire manga series into the anime, and I'm a little worried it's going to destroy a lot of the emotional elements if they shoot through the story so quickly.

As far as the reviewer thinking its odd how his arm is left at the end, in the manga there's a giant explosion (not really shown in the anime for some reason) that blows up most of the mansion, and after that clears masaru is left with just Narumi's arm.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
so, caught up after only seeing episode 1 after it came out and my god they are going through this series at hyper speed. 4 episodes in and they've covered 26 chapters from the manga. That's literally what most entire anime seasons cover, now I know how they plan on fitting the entire manga series into the anime, and I'm a little worried it's going to destroy a lot of the emotional elements if they shoot through the story so quickly.
I wonder why the show does not have a higher episode count. This must have been made because Ushio & Tora was a success, so I would assume they would have made more episodes.

I must say as an Anime only viewer, so far it has not felt rushed, not even the death, Gai Daigoji died in ep 3 of Nadesico, a whole episode earlier and that still worked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6