• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Last Remaining Secrets of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
don't want to call any effort put into this colossus of a game lazy, but it certainly *looks* low-effort in a way that's unusual for Smash.

The same Smash Bros that gave us Dr.Mario,Pichu, Ganondorf, Roy, Kid Link (who I don't want to put here just like Roy), Falco/Wolf, & Dark Pit.

Is unusual for it's laziness?
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Not one mention of Sonys Western led censorship drive against Japanese developed games with even mild fan service elements that has escalated dramatically? Really?

That is a poor show ANN considering the content you cover I thought it would be front and centre but looks like you're ignoring this serious issue like most western media outlets have because they're fine with it. This issue needs as much coverage as it can get and ignoring it sends the misguided message to Sony that their censorship is okay.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
You might find this column somewhat illuminating about both the topic you're worried about and the nature of weekly columns (tip: they happen every week!).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanos, eat your heart out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:

Not one mention of Sonys Western led censorship drive against Japanese developed games with even mild fan service elements that has escalated dramatically? Really?

That is a poor show ANN considering the content you cover I thought it would be front and centre but looks like you're ignoring this serious issue like most western media outlets have because they're fine with it.

Or they could just care about it as much considering some of the content being "tweaked" involves things like a gimmick that designed to let you fondle, grope, & kiss females.....some of whom would be under the age of consent depending on what country you're from. Even with it being censorship that's not the kind of thing you want to defend let alone bring massive attention to as I'm pretty sure the latter already happened once before.

Not to mention the fact that with Omega Labyrinth and SK:Renewal being the only two titles of note that are apart of this "alleged" campaign by Sony a involving content that is by no means "mild" it's kind of hard to write too much about it.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:

That is a poor show ANN considering the content you cover I thought it would be front and centre but looks like you're ignoring this serious issue like most western media outlets have because they're fine with it. This issue needs as much coverage as it can get and ignoring it sends the misguided message to Sony that their censorship is okay.

To be fair, the column didn't really care about the Steam censorship until LGBT stuff starting getting hit. I imagine until it affects the progressives games, this will have a lid kept on it.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not to mention the fact that with Omega Labyrinth and SK:Renewal being the only two tiles of note being apart of this alleged campaign by Sony against content that is by no means "mild" it's kind of hard to write too much about it.

I'm not sure why you're calling it an alleged campaign. Japanese developers have spoken out and confirmed Sony's new policy. A number of other games were recently revealed to be censored on the PS4, but not the Switch.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, after watching the Smash Bros. video, I thought I had missed something big looking at the thumbnail of this article paired with its title.

(Also, I get the feeling there is more we haven't seen of the game yet besides teaser stuff. For one, there are two stages left not yet shown, if I've counted everything up correctly.)

I was confused as to what "circles" meant, as I thought it was "social circles" or something. So a circle is basically an exhibition booth?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
With Incineroar joining the cast (yay!), I now have one new character I want to learn as well as having him fight alongside me in team battles. Now all I need to do is actually buy a Switch and I'm set.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Aaaahhhh crap, I forgot the put the info about Miss X in SNK Heroines in! I even had it written up and everything. I blame sleep deprivation.

Also, considering the Sony policy thing is mostly hearsay at this point, I’m not going to write about it until I can confirm it with a dev myself. Most of the sources seem to be things like matome blogs, which are very iffy to use as primary sources. Also, the petition going around about it is *hilarious*. I’m sure Sony’s gonna listen to a change.org petition that can’t even spell “petition” right in the first paragraph.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, and one more thought: I wonder if Piranha Plant will get the standard Super Mario victory jingle or the electric guitar one normally meant for Bowser and Bowser Jr. (Somehow, seeing the Mario characters stunned and some flash of light made me think Bowsette.)

belvadeer wrote:
With Incineroar joining the cast (yay!), I now have one new character I want to learn as well as having him fight alongside me in team battles. Now all I need to do is actually buy a Switch and I'm set.

Ah yes, that reminds me that my goal grows ever bigger with each Smash Bros. game, and this one will be by far the biggest, which is to get at least 1 win online with every character using Random, not counting taunt parties. (For the first two games, it was local multiplayer.) Took me a couple years to pull it off with 3DS/Wii U, which I count together as they have the same roster and the same gameplay, just with different stages. The last one in the base roster was Little Mac, though the last one, period, was Fire Emblem Roy.

But yeah, as a Pokémon fan since Generation I, I am quite elated to see a Generation VII Pokémon join, as well as filling the much-needed wrestler role. Now to see if they bring in a stage from the Alola Pokémon games. Certainly, they have the music.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Or they could just care about it as much considering some of the content being "tweaked" involves things like a gimmick that designed to let you fondle, grope, & kiss females.....some of whom would be under the age of consent depending on what country you're from. Even with it being censorship that's not the kind of thing you want to defend let alone bring massive attention to as I'm pretty sure the latter already happened once before.

Not to mention the fact that with Omega Labyrinth and SK:Renewal being the only two titles of note that are apart of this "alleged" campaign by Sony a involving content that is by no means "mild" it's kind of hard to write too much about it.

I can understand Sony not wanting to get attacked by the vocal minority of social justice mobs but they need to have a backbone as a company. You find touching a fictional, hyper stylised, completely unrealistic girl in a game like that creepy? Fine, don't play it, go near it, talk about it and it won't ever bother you. You do you. This goes beyond that like others have said. You might not have seen since western game media are likely approving of it and hence not covering it but it is happening and the cases are growing day by day.

Also did you really just compare an Intimacy Mode in Senran Kagura to a full on eroge game on PC? That is staggering.

Chester McCool wrote:
To be fair, the column didn't really care about the Steam censorship until LGBT stuff starting getting hit. I imagine until it affects the progressives games, this will have a lid kept on it.

Yeah that did go through my mind as well and makes a lot more sense. Most other ‘liberal’ gaming outlets were exactly the same. It won’t affect the progressive games though since they are the people causing this, just look at Sonys push of something like Dream Daddy and it matches up.

Zero-chan wrote:
Also, considering the Sony policy thing is mostly hearsay at this point, I’m not going to write about it until I can confirm it with a dev myself. Most of the sources seem to be things like matome blogs, which are very iffy to use as primary sources.

Really don’t see how it’s heresay, the following is confirmed:

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart - images of the girls in swimsuits light rayed into oblivion while other versions remain unaltered
Mary Skelter 2 - a game even China (China, the censorship capital of the world!) allowed but Sony forced retrospective censorship and basically broke the game
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san Yukemuri Meikyuu - scenes featuring the girls wearing a swimsuit or towel completely obscured by steam just weeks before launch
Silverio Trinity - currently not approved because new strict Sony checks, have to appeal in English for some bizarre reason as confirmed by developer
Nekopara - jiggle physics gone and large amounts of extra steam added to cover up scenes

And who knows how many more, we have to wait now before each and every game releases until we can see if it’s not been butchered by Sonys California head office, the ones behind this.

Look at the above and tell me there is nothing substantiated there? If that isn’t enough to comment on or put a story on I don’t know what is.

Sony obviously haven’t commented on this new regressive policy because they barely know it themselves as some elements seem okay in one game but not the other. Depends on which ever clown is answering the request.

We all know why this is happening, certain western hate groups have infected Sony leading to this change, it’s happened slowly after the move to California where these groups are large in presence and now they are forcing a different culture to adhere to the backwards logic of the US where violence = wholesome family and fun and anything sexual = burn it. Well unless you’re a big developer like CD Projekt Red or Rockstar who Sony would not dare unsettle of course.

Sorry if this comes off as ranty by the way, stuff like this where people tell me as an adult what is and is not appropriate for me infuriates me more than anything.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
-2B: Yeah, she was pretty much a shoe-in. My only complaint was how people flooded Okubo's Twitter, pestering him for 2B despite her probably being greenlit for awhile. Not cool guys, ever.

-Smash Ultimate: I expected Ken and Incineroar (also, Incineroar might be the last performance by Unsho Ishizuka) and they look pretty good, Ken being a flashier Ryu while Incineroar is a grappling character with some serious flash. I'm just glad they put in another story mode with World of Light. And Kirby is now the strongest Nintendo character. It has been proven.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I was confused as to what "circles" meant, as I thought it was "social circles" or something. So a circle is basically an exhibition booth?

Nope, but good guess. A "circle" is the group working to put out content. There are circles of people that have worked together for years on stuff that have developed their own brand and name that fans will specifically search out. You can think of it like a team, but they're usually referred to as circles. Particular circles will also rent booths or tables to sell their works like you were supposing, though.

A good example is CLAMP, who originally started as a doujinshi circle with a lot of members prior to making it big in the traditional publication world. As time passed, several members cycled out until there were the final 4 that remain in the group today.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Considering that Sony's new censorship policy is totally forgotten makes someone J-Fans of gamers misreable, now we will have to play an uncensored ones for PC a bit since they are always uncut ones.

As for Ken and Incineroar appearing in Super Smash Bros, this is prehaps to be the most amazing things i've ever seen in my life!!! I hope DLC will add some more playable characters like Chun-li, i am hoping this excitement about the news will be more powerful as much as it was boring back in the day when SMB was an ordinary boring game.

(sorry for my poor English)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Considering that Sony's new censorship policy is totally forgotten makes someone J-Fans of gamers misreable, now we will have to play an uncensored ones for PC a bit since they are always uncut ones.

Or just get the Switch versions. Because we live in a timeline where Nintendo is more open to sexual content than Sony is now. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2