• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Fall 2018, Oct 1-28

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Reviewers of some shows are bipolar, it seems.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nothing in particular stands out from this initial outing. In the cumulative the shows are ranked about where I expected them to be. Release the Spyce seems low, but it is not surprising.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I came here to mention how strange it was to see Tsurune so low on the list, but now I'm even more curious why the title for this forum thread is in French.... Confused
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Tsurune being so low makes no sense. It's been fantastic so far.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It is honestly surprising for me to see Release the Spyce being so low on this list. It’s been pretty solid so far.

Also, I find it strange to see the talkback title for this forum being in French. I wonder if that’s got something to do with this type of article being so long to arrive for this season.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched it but surprised SAO is so high, same for SSSS grindman, actually same for rascal too. Surprised Irodoku is low, those kind of show usually score quite high. Goblin slayer probably has a tons of very high and very low score I'm guessing. I though slime was getting quite a positive reception (which just make me even more confused at SAO high score). Really sad zombieland is low, easily the best show this season imo. Why is juliet so low too, I though people loved it (couldn't get very far but that's just my particular taste). Tsurune being low is also a surprised, I mean it's not very good but it should get some browny point for being pretty at the very least. And why is skull face so low? Sure it's essentially a powerpoint slideshow and the comedy is hit or miss (mostly miss with me) but it's not that bad.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
So The Girl in Twilight didn't even get enough votes to get on the list? That's kinda rough. Wonder if it has anything to do with it being on HiDive.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
So The Girl in Twilight didn't even get enough votes to get on the list? That's kinda rough. Wonder if it has anything to do with it being on HiDive.

No, I don’t think it’s due to that since Bloom into You and Release the Spyce are both on HiDive and they are on this list. I read a post a while back that I think summarizes pretty well why it may not have made the list. Not a lot of people who use this site may have had enough enthusiasm for the premise to vote for it.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Haven't watched it but surprised SAO is so high, same for SSSS grindman, actually same for rascal too. Surprised Irodoku is low, those kind of show usually score quite high. Goblin slayer probably has a tons of very high and very low score I'm guessing. I though slime was getting quite a positive reception (which just make me even more confused at SAO high score). Really sad zombieland is low, easily the best show this season imo. Why is juliet so low too, I though people loved it (couldn't get very far but that's just my particular taste). Tsurune being low is also a surprised, I mean it's not very good but it should get some browny point for being pretty at the very least. And why is skull face so low? Sure it's essentially a powerpoint slideshow and the comedy is hit or miss (mostly miss with me) but it's not that bad.

SAO, Gridman and Rascal are among the best, if not the best of the season, so i wouldn't be surprised. Irodoku... people are probably burned from Glasslip or something? Zombieland... i'd say it was nice, lost it's groove and is gaining it back with this week. Juliet, no idea since i only read the manga. Regarding Tsurune, it's probably cause it came out late so people didn't really bother with it and those who did probably feel like it's a low effort Kyoani show. (The low effort thing was something i heard from multiple people, having not watched it myself, i can't confirm if that's the case or not).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Yeah I was surprised too that Slime wasn't higher, though after the most recent episode, I think it will be higher next week. I'm not that worried about Zombieland, as it is doing well in the cumulative and will likely be up in the weeklies after the most recent episode as well.

After the first episode, Gridman has been quite good, so seeing it where it is isn't surprising and I fully expect that it will go up further in the cumulative if it keeps it up. Even Zac is following it (out of interest in the show itself and not just the surrounding discussion), and was recommending it on the podcast last week.

As for SAO, after the discussion being held by its anti-fans and the Youtubers who rose to prominence by playing to them, at least in part, when (main series of ) SAO is rated by users and ranked weekly on this site for the first time, it does quite well. Sure GGO did respectably earlier this year, but even some of those Youtubers thought GGO was good, if only to use that to bag on the main series. But when the users actually have their say, they think SAO is actually pretty good, hand in hand with its episode reviewer, I might add.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
^
I don't pay attention to Youtubers at all, but I think SAO's high ranking is a recognition from established fans that this has been a very good adaptation of the source material so far. The source material for this part of the story isn't, IMO, Reki Kawahara's strongest work, but the adaptation team is doing wonders with it.

The opposite seems to be true for Tokyo Ghoul. I had heard that fans of the show were displeased with this current incarnation, but even so I would not have expected it to be a consistent bottomfeeder. (It's also hurt by Conception not being covered. I find that show amusing, but it's already firmly establishing itself as the top contender for the season's worst.)

And to address another question, if Girls in Twilight was in the rankings then I think it would probably be in the bottom third. I have been mostly keeping up with it, and it hasn't been all that impressive so far. I might do a full review at the end of the season if I do continue to keep up with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by this.

Boarding School Juliet is way better than what their listing implies imo and I don't get why Zombie Land Saga dropped so much either. My favorite shows this season is probably SAO, Bunny Girl and Goblin Slayer.

I'm rather surprised to see Bloom Into You, SSSS and Run With The Wind are rated so high, but I have not seen them myself so I can't really say.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Boarding School Juliet has been consistently polling around a 4.1, with an average reviewer rating on the low side of B. That suggests to me that there isn't much deviation between fan and reviewer opinion. Those are still decent ratings, but it comes out low in the rankings because it has stiff competition. Frankly, I'd also put it in the middle of the pack of what I'm watching this season.

By comparison, Slime is averaging around a 4.4. SAO, which is significantly higher on the chart, is actually averaging slightly lower on community rating (4.3), but the method being used for the polling places higher priority on relative ratings, so that means that people rating both are more consistently rating SAO as the higher of the two and that a lot of people are rating Slime but not SAO at all. (This method also tends to reduce the impact of hate-raters on the rankings, which I'd assume is at least part of the reason why ANN uses it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
if you can understand that link to the Schulze method, which is what is used to determine the rankings, then I suppose it might be easier to understand why things are ranked the way they are. I've tried, I've failed. now its just amusing to see everyone struggle to understand whats going on
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The opposite seems to be true for Tokyo Ghoul. I had heard that fans of the show were displeased with this current incarnation, but even so I would not have expected it to be a consistent bottomfeeder. (It's also hurt by Conception not being covered. I find that show amusing, but it's already firmly establishing itself as the top contender for the season's worst.)

I wasn't as down on Re's second season after the first episode, but it has become clear pretty quickly that it has been horribly rushed, even to an anime only viewer such as myself. Several times this season I've asked myself who the hell some of these characters are, often right before they die unceremoniously, and it is abundantly clear that they have skipped and are skipping a substantial part of the source material. On top of that, I've heard that even the source material was declining in quality towards the end. The first season of Re was pretty close to the bottom of the charts already, so if you decline even further in quality, it's no surprise that it's reached the bottom, and I say that as someone who liked the first season of Re overall. I wouldn't put it at the bottom of my list this season, but of the stuff that is being covered here, I have to agree with the ranking.

Speaking of the worst, I ended up passing on Conception, but I had been nonetheless curious about its potential to be the worst. How does it compare to My Sister, My Writer, (which is my own choice for worst so far)? If it is better (worse?) in that regard, I may have to check it out, time permitting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3