• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Skip Beat! Complete Series BD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
As a backer and pretty involved with the project (I created the backer website) my judgement might be a bit clouded. But this project was truly amazing to be part of. The dub team did an amazing job for this classic anime and created top tier dub.

Skip beat! itself is a real good story about overcoming all odds. However if i may hate on something... i truly hate the ending. Just stopped. In the middle of a amazing storyline.... I was like, what? Where is the rest? Sequel please...

I would like to say to anyone who normally dont like shoujo anime. This is not your typical shoujo anime. Its fun for guys and girls.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I found the anime to be kind of painfully slow compared to the manga, which I started reading around the same time.

But as a Kickstarter backer for this release, I saw how much it was very clearly a product of love. It was so wonderful to see a shoujo romance show, that might normally be a sub-only, barebones release, get so much love an attention from staff that truly saw what makes this story so great. Also the dubbed ending theme is legitimately better than the original Japanese song. (The OP is pretty great in both languages)

And for those who hated the ending (I did too), I would definitely recommend checking out the manga. It has better pacing, IMO, and continues on... forever, apparently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
I watched the series streaming years ago and found it to be an addictive watch. One of those shows I had to watch as quickly as possible because I needed to know what happened next. Then I read all that was available at the time (stopped years ago, around the time Kyoko was pretending to be Ren's bro-con punk little sister for a movie role prep... or something).

But there is a problem with the series in anime and manga forms and IMO the sidebar blurb for the article gets it wrong (although the article itself makes no such explicit claim).
"With its strong characters..."
No, that should be reworded as "With its strong LEAD character"
Because, although Kyoko is a fantastically awesome character, the supporting cast are all consistently shallowly defined. Defined mainly by their relation and reactions to Kyoko. Sho gets a little more attention... but even then- do you care about him? I didn't.

At some point I may go back for a rewatch and read-through, maybe if it ever ends, but the addiction stopped when I realized it was such a one-woman show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This was an alright show and I wanted to watch it dubbed, so picked up the Blu Ray.

The dub for all the main characters is really good, but the dub suffers from a lack of additional voices. If really does sound like every other random lady is either Christina Vee, Mela Lee or Vic Mignogna. It's not a huge deal, but it does sound weird hearing the same 4 or 5 people play just about every bit part in the series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
The dub for all the main characters is really good, but the dub suffers from a lack of additional voices. If really does sound like every other random lady is either Christina Vee, Mela Lee or Vic Mignogna.

Pffft, Vic voices random ladies in this? I'm sure you meant random guys, right? XD
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This story does sound pretty neat; would it be better to start with the anime, or with the manga?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
^ Much as I enjoyed the anime, I'd go with the manga. It goes into more detail, and Viz has 3-in-1 volumes out.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
The dub for all the main characters is really good, but the dub suffers from a lack of additional voices. If really does sound like every other random lady is either Christina Vee, Mela Lee or Vic Mignogna.

Pffft, Vic voices random ladies in this? I'm sure you meant random guys, right? Anime hyper

You got me, I should have said "random people", the point still stands though, they didn't bring in anyone for bit parts in this dub.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the ks backers for this series and I really enjoyed the show for the characters-especially Kyoko. The dub was exceptionally well done. I did read part of the manga just so I could see how it actually ended.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I was one of the ks backers for this series and I really enjoyed the show for the characters-especially Kyoko. The dub was exceptionally well done. I did read part of the manga just so I could see how it actually ended.

Not sure how that's possible, since the manga is still going. In fact I just read chapter 265 earlier this week. If I'm remembering right, the anime just randomly stops in the middle of a story arc.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I was a backer, and I'm really happy with how the dub and release turned out. I only wish we could get a season 2, or at least an OVA to wrap up the story arc the show was in the middle of.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Because, although Kyoko is a fantastically awesome character, the supporting cast are all consistently shallowly defined. Defined mainly by their relation and reactions to Kyoko. Sho gets a little more attention... but even then- do you care about him? I didn't.

Speaking as someone who's up-to-date about the manga, the series gets better about that as it goes along. Sho and especially Ren are a lot more fleshed out nowadays, and even minor characters like the bully Moko stood up to come back into the fold and get further fleshed out.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Season 2! Season 2! Season 2! (onegai)
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know this was a thing. I definitely want to support it, but I wish we were getting a remake/reboot instead. (C'mon, netflix, you don't wanna give Skip Beat a new anime?)

For how long the manga is though, it's impossible for the anime to be all too satisfying. There's so much that's missed. Hopefully one day we get more adapted though~. I'd love to see the current arc adapted.

1dbad wrote:
I was a backer, and I'm really happy with how the dub and release turned out. I only wish we could get a season 2, or at least an OVA to wrap up the story arc the show was in the middle of.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Speaking as someone who's up-to-date about the manga, the series gets better about that as it goes along. Sho and especially Ren are a lot more fleshed out nowadays, and even minor characters like the bully Moko stood up to come back into the fold and get further fleshed out.

Strongly agreed. And really, by the time you get to see Moko's family, she's already starting to be fleshed out more as a character. Same for the other LME girl (I feel so guilty for forgetting her name).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1