• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us Anime Film Earns US$789,170 in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting, congrats on the Pokemon Movie 21 getting an lots of US money, now how money is being earned from other countries?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
Wow impressive.

Respect. Cool
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
I lot of the fans at the screening I went to were very excited when they saw the preview for Detective Pikachu. I have a feeling it will be the first legitimately good live-action film adaptation of a video game. Take that, Paul W.S. Anderson.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I lot of the fans at the screening I went to were very excited when they saw the preview for Detective Pikachu. I have a feeling it will be the first legitimately good live-action film adaptation of a video game. Take that, Paul W.S. Anderson.
oh give tje RE movie franchise some credit. 1 billion at the boxoffice is nothing to scoff at. Love the first movie
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Aside from my roommate and I, there was only a mother and daughter and two guys watching the film here. I have a feeling the marketing just sucks for rural areas...
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Considering the history of US Pokemon theatre releases, that's actually rather pathetic:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
oh give tje RE movie franchise some credit. 1 billion at the boxoffice is nothing to scoff at. Love the first movie

I'm not trying to bash the movies. The franchise was fine as it is, I just don't think it really captured the essence of the games, that's all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Aside from the first mortal Kombat movie.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
Considering the history of US Pokemon theatre releases, that's actually rather pathetic:

Comparing this to the big theatrical releases by Warner Bros. isn't really fair. However, Power of Us still doesn't measure well against the Miramax limited releases and is in fact, only a fraction of what last year's Pokemon movie did despite a larger theatre count.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The I Choose You movie benefited from being made as an anniversary reboot film that worked as a stand alone movie even if you haven't watched Pokemon in years. Outside of Ash and Team Rocket, The Power of Us doesn't have any of the familiar characters from the show or nostalgia fanservice bait, and it's my understanding Lugia only plays a very small role in the movie in spite of all the marketing hype. Without the nostalgia aspect of last year's movie, I can understand why there's less of a mainstream interest in The Power of Us. While these alternate universe reboot movies have been an interesting take on the Pokemon anime formula, I would have liked for them to make at least one Sun and Moon movie before the next generation of Pokemon games starts up. I would love to see the Sun and Moon characters and animation style in a big budget feature film but I guess they're going for another Mewtwo movie instead.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
scowler wrote:

Comparing this to the big theatrical releases by Warner Bros. isn't really fair. However, Power of Us still doesn't measure well against the Miramax limited releases and is in fact, only a fraction of what last year's Pokemon movie did despite a larger theatre count.

It's a real shame, because I found it to be a better movie than I Choose You!. It had a much better story, not to mention no stupid hallucination scenes.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
... and it's my understanding Lugia only plays a very small role in the movie in spite of all the marketing hype.

Yup, it shows up for about 2 minutes in the movie. For a movie that centers itself around Lugia and the Wind Festival, it was disappointing to say the least. Animation-wise, 2nd movie Lugia was drawn better than this Lugia.

I thought Zeraora was incredibly boring as the main Pokémon in the movie. Was not a movie I'd watch again.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The old Pokemon movies got a lot of flack from critics for the CGI animation mixed in with the 2D artwork but I still think Lugia's big scene at the end of Pokemon The Movie 2000 still looks really good years later and it's one of the highlights of the old school Pokemon movies for me.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
As always not available in Amazon prime of France...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1