• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto Partners with Illustrator Akira Ōkubo to Launch Samurai 8 Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
First ninjas, now samurais.

Glad he's stayed true to his promise of it being a scifi. We're not seeing many scifi shonens at the moment, so it's nice seeing that niche get filled. I'm also curious to see what his work on a more modern series will be like.

Wasn't expecting a different artist, but that should help lessen the workload and make Samurai 8 feel distinct. It looks good too. I'll definitely miss Kishimoto's style though.

Last edited by 1dbad on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
Oof YES!!!! Looks good! CANT WAIT!
NightRunner7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
I assume those drawings we saw were done by Kishimoto himself, but if they're actually from Okubo then thats great because his style is really close to Kishimoto. I am looking forward to this new series
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
Here’s hoping Kishimoto can have another hit. There’s not too many “sci-fi” shonen battle mangas that I can think of, so the space is very ripe to exploit. With Kishimoto helming the story, he can have a much more lax schedule then he did with Naruto.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
I'm hyped. I'm a fan of Naruto even though it struggled a lot since the adult arcs.
To see a new work of Kishimoto, starting again from the beginning, would be a really refreshing experience.

NightRunner7 wrote:
I assume those drawings we saw were done by Kishimoto himself, but if they're actually from Okubo then thats great because his style is really close to Kishimoto. I am looking forward to this new series

I feel the same. The drawing felt nostalgic that it screams Kishimoto. Then I read that Okubo is doing the artwork, then I was pretty surprised. I hope Kishimoto draws his own story, but if it's best for him to focus on the story, then I have no complain. The art looks pretty clean anyway.

I wonder if there's any connection to Samurai 7. I hope not. I'd personally prefer something new.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:32 am Reply with quote
I remember when Kishimoto first brought up the idea of his next manga being Sci-Fi, many people joked that it would be "Space Naruto", and here we are ... Space Naruto. Rolling Eyes

Just looking at the preview, you can tell that Kishimoto originated the designs and Okubo refined it with his own artistic techniques. The Adult characters scream Pain and Kakashi. And the kid, just a Cyborg Naruto with a Sword, fighting in an apocalyptic world like Chassern. While I have to see where it goes, I have low expectation as it's already been done. Just look at Mashima, his new manga is basically Fairy Tail with Robots!

Personally, Kishimoto should've went back to his original Gangster concept that birthed Naruto. I think that was more interesting.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I remember when Kishimoto first brought up the idea of his next manga being Sci-Fi, many people joked that it would be "Space Naruto", and here we are ... Space Naruto. Rolling Eyes

Just looking at the preview, you can tell that Kishimoto originated the designs and Okubo refined it with his own artistic techniques. The Adult characters scream Pain and Kakashi. And the kid, just a Cyborg Naruto with a Sword, fighting in an apocalyptic world like Chassern. While I have to see where it goes, I have low expectation as it's already been done. Just look at Mashima, his new manga is basically Fairy Tail with Robots!

Personally, Kishimoto should've went back to his original Gangster concept that birthed Naruto. I think that was more interesting.

Kishimoto spent several months conducting research to ensure many of the Sci-fi elements work. Why would an mangaka go through those lengths to replicate an earlier series? Even if some character models hark back to Naruto, it doesn’t mean the series won’t develop its own identity.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So... is the resemblance to that other sci-fi samurai show intentional? Or did everyone forget about Samurai 7 already?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Kishimoto spent several months conducting research to ensure many of the Sci-fi elements work. Why would an mangaka go through those lengths to replicate an earlier series? Even if some character models hark back to Naruto, it doesn’t mean the series won’t develop its own identity.

He might've spent years thinking about these ideas, but ideas sometimes never turn out the way you expect them. Just look at J.J. Abrams and the time he spent researching Star Trek and Star Wars and yet he ended up making movies that were just rehashes. Many regard gun still as a talented movie maker.

So once its out and you read it and it's good, then by all means support Kishimoto. But if it's bad, he shouldn't get a pass because he wrote Naruto.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
So... is the resemblance to that other sci-fi samurai show intentional? Or did everyone forget about Samurai 7 already?

The people that worked on Samurai 7 forgot about Samurai 7.

I'm looking forward to this, mostly because Kishimoto's been talking about it for a while. I take it to mean that he was planning the story out so that he didn't end up with another Madara.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

He might've spent years thinking about these ideas, but ideas sometimes never turn out the way you expect them. Just look at J.J. Abrams and the time he spent researching Star Trek and Star Wars and yet he ended up making movies that were just rehashes. Many regard gun still as a talented movie maker.

So once its out and you read it and it's good, then by all means support Kishimoto. But if it's bad, he shouldn't get a pass because he wrote Naruto.

But that’s literally the thing. No one will give him a pass if this series is mediocre or bad. One smash of a series isn’t enough to immortalize someone’s talent. The good thing about it is that Kishimoto knows there’s tons of pressure to follow up Naruto, so I’m sure he’ll want to come as hard as he can. Aside from a few familiar character models, we know virtually nothing about the story even after this teaser. And I love that mystery going in.

Oh and also, unlike J.J Abrams, Kishimoto can be more flexible with incoperating popular gripes from shonen manga into his new property. After all, most shonen series are reskins of one-another, but the truly good ones can disguise that.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
The designs look way too much like Naruto. They really need to change that up a bit, it's already enough that we have Boruto out there.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:

The people that worked on Samurai 7 forgot about Samurai 7.

I'm looking forward to this, mostly because Kishimoto's been talking about it for a while. I take it to mean that he was planning the story out so that he didn't end up with another Madara.

I was just about to say will Kishimoto base this off the ACTUAL film by Akira Kurosawa or will he make it similar to Samurai 7 the Steampunk Anime version of the original story?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1