• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Voice Actress Toshiko Fujita Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
So sad, i'm gonna miss her actual voice of Taichi's. Rest in peace. This year 2018 is not good as it want to be. I hope 2019 won't be the same as 2009 when we lost so many famous people like Michael Jackson and more.
Xeogran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
As a Digimon fan and especially a human being, this is saddening to hear. My condolences to her family.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
This is a horrible time of the year to lose loved ones.
It's hectic enough and stressful without having a death and THEN dealing with the memorial and burial!

Well, having somebody close to you pass is tough, period, no matter what time of year it is.

68 by today's standards isn't that old and a lot of cancer is survivable now if it's caught early.

I hope for her sake that she didn't suffer too long.

I do recognize some of the anime in that list but have to shamefully admit I have NOT watched all of Silent Mobius TV or the movies but I have them in my collection. I can vaguely remember Silent Mobius but I do know her character was a MAJOR figure in that series. Silent Mobius is something they probably should license-rescue one of these days.

Hiromi Tsuru was also a member of the Silent Mobius cast and she passed away (aortic dissection) during the holidays last year and that was a major VA loss, too.

Americans are more familiar with Tsuru because of her voiceover in Dragon Ball (Bulma), Kimagure Orange Road (Madoka), and Ranma 1/2 (Ukyo).

Appreciate these people while they're around folks.
I'm seeing more VA people from the time when I started collecting anime and watching more intensely passing away nowadays. At least 4-5 members of the Japanese Ranma 1/2 cast alone have passed way and they've replaced probably 2-3 people of the original Dragon Ball cast as well...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
May she rest in peace.
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Man, this is sad.

I'm going to play on repeat "Yuki wo Tsubasa ni Shite" today.

May she rest in peace.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
RIP.. cancer steals yet another VA. Confused
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first time I saw the original Digimon in Japanese and being so impressed by Toshiko Fujita's performance as Taichi. It was her stunning performance as Taichi that made him stand out to me in the world of shonen anime protogatonists that made Taichi such a memorable character. I always enjoyed Taichi because he wasn't just a shonen protagonist but he felt like a real kid with believable problems that kids can releate to and that was what made Digimon so special behind the cool monster battles. Ms. Fujita always nailed her role in ever scene whether it was an exciting action scene, a comedy scene, or one of Digimon's emotional moments. The Digital World won't be the same without Ms. Fujita and we Digimon fans will always remember her for the important role she had in making Digimon the beloved anime it is today.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
RIP Taichi. You will not be forgotten.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Right before the end of the year too. Damn. May she rest in peace, and my condolences to her friends and family.

I knew her more for her voicework in the Dragon Quest Dai's Adventure anime since that was never dubbed in English. She was great as Dai, and I'll never forget her epic battle shouts of "Mera!" whenever he cast that spell.
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I had finished watching Cat's Eye a few days ago and loved her performance as Rui. She had a very motherly voice.

May you Rest in Peace Ms. Toshiko.
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Toshiko Fujita, the voice of Taichi Yagami, is gone. This hurts worse than I care to admit since Digimon was the first anime I seriously followed as a child. I didn't discover the Japanese version until Middle School and while the dub had its moments, the original Japanese cast was something to hear too. Much like with Dragon Ball, I was surprised to hear a male lead voiced by a woman (though being only 10 years old I guess is understandable). While I think Joshua Seth did a fairly good job at conveying Taichi's personality (the few questionable script changes notwithstanding), listening to Fujita-san's take really got me to the heart of what made the character so likable to me (though I admit my favorite of the original DigiDestined was Yamato/Matt). Going back to Dragon Ball for a minute, I liked her appearance as Hasky the thief in the Red Ribbon arc, even if it was a filler part. Part of me wished that she could've kept voicing Big Mom instead of Mami Koyama, but I still liked her brief stint. Other roles I heard from her were Mamiya from Hokuto no Ken, Rally Cheyenne from Silent Möbius, and one other thing that I can't recall.

It's bad enough we lost Yuko Mizutani a little while back. This though is another level of grief. Farewell, Fujita-san. Hope you continue to evolve in the next life.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Man that is so sad to hear and I loved her in Digimon. She was also a really good choice to play Big Mom in One Piece and I kind of sadly know why they replaced her in latter episodes. RIP Toshiko Fujita you will be remembered as a legend to Japanese voice acting. Crying or Very sad
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I think my first time hearing Ms. Fujita as Taichi is watching the Japanese version of Our War Game in late high school which is still my favorite of the Digimon movies. The only other major role of hers I'm familiar with is Hilda in Outlaw Star. In spite of Hilda only being in a few episodes, she was always a character that made a big impression on you right away and is still one of my favorite Outlaw Star characters. And I always liked the relationship dynamic between Gene and Hilda.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I probably first knew her from Hokuto no Ken, but it's really selling her short by pinning her down to one franchise. She had a 53 year career as a seiyuu in anime... she was working as a young teen in the infancy of the industry.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Rip Mamiya...

She sang a bunch of theme songs in the 60's when she was a teenager like Mitsuko Horie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2