• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Project-H Store Reopens With Kodomo no Jikan Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy this comment section is going to get rough. Best of luck mods, god speed.

My only opinion is that it's fictional and censorship is bad, so it's good that they're letting people buy it. I'm not interested personally and this is all I'm saying on the subject.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Oh boy this comment section is going to get rough. Best of luck mods, god speed.

My only opinion is that it's fictional and censorship is bad, so it's good that they're letting people buy it. I'm not interested personally and this is all I'm saying on the subject.

This! All of This.! The Harm Principle embodied.

But I'm surprised that they were able to reopen with Kodomo no Jikan. I mean, the neo-puritans as someone I know calls them, are doing damage everywhere. Just go to Tumblr, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Does it hurt anyone? No? Then leave it there.
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

But still, any form of media that depicts an underage (in this case, a 9-year-old) person in a sexual manner is wrong, period.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

But still, any form of media that depicts an underage (in this case, a 9-year-old) person in a sexual manner is wrong, period.

Tell that to the people who made Fate Prisma Illya.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:

About as wrong as turning violence, suffering, death, war or any other hugely negative thing into entertainment or even fetishising it.

Personally, as long as a fictional work doesn't damage a real person in any real way, I don't think it makes any sense to arbitrarily draw a line somewhere and put some depictions of bad things on the "it's wrong, period." side and others on the "nah that's totally fine" side, no matter if we're talking about art, humor, entertainment or, honestly, even sexual stuff.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
Great news! Kojika is one of my favorites. I posted on their Twitter around the time it was shutdown. Glad to see the store reopened.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Finally, some good news to start 2019 with.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
Really nice to see that censorshp didn't win this time and props to Project-H that they set up their own store so quickly and continue to sell the manga through that.

Personally, I'm not interested in digital manga tho, still waiting for the physical release V.V
Halko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

One could also argue that depictions of violence are also wrong as a blanket statement and make every action movie ever made taboo.

Its not what act is being depicted but rather how it is being done and the point behind it. If its depiction is not harmful in how it was presented and have a point such as entertainment then there is no foul. The arguments presented against KnJ are the same arguments that were thrown against Lolita in the 50's. Its nothing new and not something that is likely to end.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

May I direct your attention to 120 days of sodom which can be bought from amazon in both paper back and Kindle.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:

I think this is an absurdist statement. Media should have no qualms about reflecting reality so long real people aren't hurt in the process, and sometimes in real life, bad things happens to kids. Not to mention that depending on your definition of underage, teen soap operas like Degrassi count as being wrong because of things like teenage pregnancy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Re'Nell Glover wrote:

I think this is an absurdist statement. Media should have no qualms about reflecting reality so long real people aren't hurt in the process, and sometimes in real life, bad things happens to kids. Not to mention that depending on your definition of underage, teen soap operas like Degrassi count as being wrong because of things like teenage pregnancy.

All the Child beauty pageants across USA would count as more obvious and blatant examples of that. Actually, I would think those, along with Japan's own Junior Idols, already cross the line, as there's no question they DO affect the participants and there's absolutely nothing fictitious about it...

In contrast, who exactly is hurt by simple drawings, even if they might pertain to certain unsavory fetishes?...
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Re'Nell Glover wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

Does not serve as a legal argument.

In other news, Murder is wrong, and works depicting murder are a cultural and financial success. Watching them does not make you a murderer.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
And I'm still waiting for the physical release (if they will do it). :/
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow a victory against censorship! I'm really happy about this and if they ever do a physical release of the series I'm supporting it 100 percent! It only took an extra 10 years but Kodomo No Jikan finally gets to be bought by the people that loved it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2