View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote

Boogiepop and Others (TV 2019)

Genres: Psychological, Mystery, Horror
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
There is an urban legend that children tell one another about a shinigami that can release people from the pain they may be suffering. This "Angel of Death" has a name: Boogiepop. And the legends are true. Boogiepop is real. When a rash of disappearances involving female students breaks out at Shinyo Academy, the police and faculty assume they just have a bunch of runaways on their hands. But Nagi Kirima knows better. Something mysterious and foul is afoot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
First two episodes are up on Crunchyroll.

Pretty interesting start.

I'm interested in seeing how much they plan to explore the human psyche and character emotions. Boogiepop is such a mysterious character. When it takes on the an apperance of someone else, I wonder how much they can understand their feelings.

There's an eerie sensation about the story too although it's too early for me to tell how much it will develop over time. Theme songs are neat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the original, and I really don't even know what it's about, other than it's supposed to be creepy and it was hailed as really good. Can I still watch this one, or will I be lost?
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am not really familiar with original series. But what an odd and interesting way to do a story. The first episode felt kind of blank, like we really were not getting some bigger picture, that I even found myself turning off a bit. Felt weird that it seemed the whole event would be over without getting insight, like these characters were done, but the second episode seemed to be around the same time frame, with dramatically different point of views. Events in the episode were popping in and out of chronological order to give this big psychological issue where we get initial looks at characters, before diving deeper and hitting what was relevant.

I was first having some real problems trying to figure out who particular characters were meant to be, and why they were relevant, which was some problem, but the episode seemed to play on that. Like wondering who the girl is that spooked the manticore and got bit, and then we see how she really fit into events. I am guessing the manticore may have been able to see in her memories, to get an idea that things could be closing in around it.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I haven't seen the original, and I really don't even know what it's about, other than it's supposed to be creepy and it was hailed as really good. Can I still watch this one, or will I be lost?

Looks to be a re-working of the original, so you don't need to see the original. Or the live-action movie that came first, that's a different storyline too.

Prettier animation and coloring this time, where the old TV show had a dark color scheme. If my memory serves, comparatively, this plot is a bit more clearly laid out. But they still like to jump around in the timeline.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
Ep 3. Even with the non-linear storytelling, this seems to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon. Aside: spoiler maybe for the live action movie spoiler[going with the archery this time.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Ep 3. Even with the non-linear storytelling, this seems to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon. Aside: spoiler maybe for the live action movie spoiler[going with the archery this time.]

"to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon." They've chosen a running jump start right into volume 2.And then there is Volume 2 being a different arc than the first three episodes...So non-linear story telling indeed Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Looks to be a re-working of the original, so you don't need to see the original. Or the live-action movie that came first, that's a different storyline too.

Prettier animation and coloring this time, where the old TV show had a dark color scheme. If my memory serves, comparatively, this plot is a bit more clearly laid out. But they still like to jump around in the timeline.

Boogiepop Phantom is a anime original story that takes place one month after the events of the first three episodes(volume one of the LN).

Boogiepop and Others is,so far,pretty faithful to the LN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1