• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boogiepop and Others (TV 2019).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote

Boogiepop and Others (TV 2019)

Genres: horror, mystery, psychological

Plot Summary: There is an urban legend that children tell one another about a shinigami that can release people from the pain they may be suffering. This "Angel of Death" has a name: Boogiepop. And the legends are true. Boogiepop is real. When a rash of disappearances involving female students breaks out at Shinyo Academy, the police and faculty assume they just have a bunch of runaways on their hands. But Nagi Kirima knows better. Something mysterious and foul is afoot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
First two episodes are up on Crunchyroll.

Pretty interesting start.

I'm interested in seeing how much they plan to explore the human psyche and character emotions. Boogiepop is such a mysterious character. When it takes on the an apperance of someone else, I wonder how much they can understand their feelings.

There's an eerie sensation about the story too although it's too early for me to tell how much it will develop over time. Theme songs are neat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the original, and I really don't even know what it's about, other than it's supposed to be creepy and it was hailed as really good. Can I still watch this one, or will I be lost?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am not really familiar with original series. But what an odd and interesting way to do a story. The first episode felt kind of blank, like we really were not getting some bigger picture, that I even found myself turning off a bit. Felt weird that it seemed the whole event would be over without getting insight, like these characters were done, but the second episode seemed to be around the same time frame, with dramatically different point of views. Events in the episode were popping in and out of chronological order to give this big psychological issue where we get initial looks at characters, before diving deeper and hitting what was relevant.

I was first having some real problems trying to figure out who particular characters were meant to be, and why they were relevant, which was some problem, but the episode seemed to play on that. Like wondering who the girl is that spooked the manticore and got bit, and then we see how she really fit into events. I am guessing the manticore may have been able to see in her memories, to get an idea that things could be closing in around it.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I haven't seen the original, and I really don't even know what it's about, other than it's supposed to be creepy and it was hailed as really good. Can I still watch this one, or will I be lost?

Looks to be a re-working of the original, so you don't need to see the original. Or the live-action movie that came first, that's a different storyline too.

Prettier animation and coloring this time, where the old TV show had a dark color scheme. If my memory serves, comparatively, this plot is a bit more clearly laid out. But they still like to jump around in the timeline.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
Ep 3. Even with the non-linear storytelling, this seems to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon. Aside: spoiler maybe for the live action movie spoiler[going with the archery this time.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Ep 3. Even with the non-linear storytelling, this seems to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon. Aside: spoiler maybe for the live action movie spoiler[going with the archery this time.]

"to have gotten into some stuff a bit soon." They've chosen a running jump start right into volume 2.And then there is Volume 2 being a different arc than the first three episodes...So non-linear story telling indeed Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Looks to be a re-working of the original, so you don't need to see the original. Or the live-action movie that came first, that's a different storyline too.

Prettier animation and coloring this time, where the old TV show had a dark color scheme. If my memory serves, comparatively, this plot is a bit more clearly laid out. But they still like to jump around in the timeline.

Boogiepop Phantom is a anime original story that takes place one month after the events of the first three episodes(volume one of the LN).

Boogiepop and Others is,so far,pretty faithful to the LN.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 (Finale)

Okay, that is over. I could maybe try and talk about the sort of stuff that happened in the last episode with the final arc, but I kind of feel like I should just talk about the show in general. Indeed I said that I kind of liked the jumbled time line of a story, where we can have dramatic shifts in perspective. But I think it was maybe too much of that sort of thing for its own good. I would say that it felt a bit too high concept. Maybe I am just dumb and not picking up on things properly, but the show felt a bit too much. I am sure there is a whole bunch of subtext and really interesting stories when you map it out from finding out what is happening, but it doesn't really do it in an accessible way.

This was Madhouse, but I can't help but think of SHAFT, where there is a heavy use of symbolism and use of the abstract, that makes things like the Monogatari series a bit of a puzzle to figure out, and chances are you don't really have all the pieces because they are hidden in the subtext. Somehow, Boogiepop (this 2019 series) felt even more confusing to follow. It is not like I am not understanding the explanations it lays out towards the end of the arcs, but it feels like a confusing line to follow. For a comparison and contrast, the Monogatari series is set in a mostly normal world, which is framed through heavy uses of symbolism, where supernatural forces are built on the sort of distortions that are displayed through symbolism of the environment. Boogiepop doesn't quite do that, with the setting being mostly normal, and we are expected to simply believe that ridiculous things exist in the otherwise mundane world. A humanity judging alien is some homeless guy, a shapeshifting monster created through science just sort of exists as people, we don't see what sort of facilities must be required to create artificial people, but we are simply told they are artificial and things happen. An assassin being some normal office worker looking guy who has super strength, the weird baby face man who is both skinny and fat, and some teacher who can mostly perceive and later one's heart is suddenly the greatest threat to humanity. The environment doesn't match the things happening, and we have an entire arc about people talking to people who are sort of like holes in their heart, and also giant dinosaur monster thing.

It is not like I couldn't be okay with a sort of aliens so advanced that their stuff looks like magic and able to hide that technology. But I can only say that it feels sort of inconsistent. Are we meant to believe that the secret organization controlling society is just made up of seemingly separate individuals and kind of directionless except for vague goals? Always looking totally normal that there isn't some sort of secret labs or just being outright bizarre that you wonder why no one notices the mutant man who slinks around places and brainwashes people? A character could be a normal high school girl one moment, and the next a super spy with a skin-tight black outfit, yet I am not sure is actually aware of the strange things? Perhaps I am going to be able to watch something that goes into detail what everything meant, their origins, and what is really happening behind the scenes, but as for watching it by myself it is a little too strange. I also remember hearing from somewhere that there was a bit of girl power in the show, but I am not sure if it counts if it is a girl being possessed by something to do things that are kind of said specifically not be a feminine force. I think that one hypnotism bit might have even said that they thought Boogiepop was a man's mind? But really it got pretty vague about different existences just coming into life.

I give this series a rating of Good (7/10), I think that it was things like the nice animation that pushed it to be more than simply not a waste of time, and although I think it was a bit too confusing, others might be totally into it.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
This was Madhouse, but I can't help but think of SHAFT, where there is a heavy use of symbolism and use of the abstract, that makes things like the Monogatari series a bit of a puzzle to figure out, and chances are you don't really have all the pieces because they are hidden in the subtext.
With the Monogatari series in particular the similarity has less to do with the studios and more with the original authors: NisiOisiN has apparently admitted in interviews that his writing style has been influenced by the Boogiepop series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1