• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A-Kon Convention Announces Move to Dallas, Date Change

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is the one big con I go to each year--I've been attending since 2011. These last minute changes (last minute for an indoor event with 30k+ attendees, at any rate) are deeply concerning, especially since they haven't announced the new venue yet. There are only a few places in DFW that can hold crowds that big, and holding any part of it outside isn't possible in the heat of a Texas summer.

At least they're offering to mail badges this year. My group was in line for five hours last con, and we met people who had to wait seven.

Best of luck to the new organizers!
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for all of the people who are unable to go to the con because of the last minute change(s). I know some work places aren't so flexible when it comes to changing time-off requests, for example. Not to mention the ones who booked a flight to go to the con.

I just don't get why they didn't do the ownership/venue change for next year's con instead.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
I just don't get why they didn't do the ownership/venue change for next year's con instead.

While we don't (and may never) know any details, I'm going to guess that it just wasn't possible. It sounds like ownership of the convention was sold to a completely different group, and it's likely that the previous owner's business contracts with the venue were not transferable. The old owners may not have had much choice about when they sold it, and the new owners probably had to choose between rescheduling the venue or canceling entirely. Business contracts suck.

I'll miss the water gardens as a place for photoshoots, but hopefully the new venue is nice. A-Kon has been big enough that they've been needing to mail badges for the last decade -- even the line to pick up pre-registrations was frequently 3+ hours long -- so I'm pretty happy that's an option now.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, major changes just 5 months before the con? Sucks for anyone that made non-refundable transportation/housing arrangements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1