• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I’m definitely having fun replaying the game with all its new features. I’m still rough around the edges with the battle system, but otherwise it’s just another great experience with a Tales game.

I know I’m the minority on this, but I personally don’t consider Vesperia the best Tales games (I still think Symphonia has the best Tales narrative that’s left the biggest impact on me, and I liked the cast of Legendia and Graces way more than Vesperia.)

However, it is the prettiest and has some of the best character models and environments. Yeah they’re more scaled down-chibi versions compared to recent Tales, but they look way more polished and are more expressive. It’s impressive that graphics aged as well as they did and I wish Bamco could’ve stuck with this style more.

Does anyone know who replaced Troy Baker as Yuri for the new content? Some think it’s Grant George , and it does sound like him. Honestly, even if it’s a new VA it’s a good imitation of Baker’s performance.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It's Grant George yeah. The closer to an official confirmation I think it's Matt Mercer saying it is him.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd say 2nd best Tales for me, Abyss just slightly beats it for me and Symphonia comes in at #3.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I know I’m the minority on this, but I personally don’t consider Vesperia the best Tales games (I still think Symphonia has the best Tales narrative that’s left the biggest impact on me, and I liked the cast of Legendia and Graces way more than Vesperia.)

However, it is the prettiest and has some of the best character models and environments. Yeah they’re more scaled down-chibi versions compared to recent Tales, but they look way more polished and are more expressive. It’s impressive that graphics aged as well as they did and I wish Bamco could’ve stuck with this style more.

Vesperia is kind of an all rounder, it does everything really well but nothing exceptionally well. Like for example, pretty much everybody agree that grace as the best combat system but it's massively bough down by a terrible story and cast and has problematic boss. Vesperia just doesn't have any glaring weakness, so everybody can enjoy it.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I really really tried to like this game but too many things about this 2007 title, its “Definitive Edition” and weird gameplay quirks just hold me back. The reviewer (who very obviously loves the game a lot, and given he played the original 10 years ago, that's fair) mentions this, but brushes it off like it’s nothing, but this game opens up its gameplay so appallingly slowly to you. 15 hours in and literally all I do in gameplay is mash circle 3 times, then follow up with an X move. Sometimes 2 if I’m feeling super daring! (And then my TP is completely spent) It’s just so mind numbing and after playing Graces F, Hearts R, Berseria, even Zestiria, I can’t believe this is the game people say is legendary in the Tales franchise.

And boy is playing with the English dub infuriating. Troy Baker and Grant George are two fantastic VA’s that I’ve loved in countless games/shows, but the endless switching voices is absolutely atrocious. I can’t believe Bandai thought this was okay and didn’t just re-record ALL of Yuri’s dialogue with Grant George. Hell they didn’t even bother contacting Troy Baker to reprise, they just assumed he’d say no, went straight to Matthew Mercer who also said no because he's tired of game companies treating him like budget Troy, and then asked Grant George.
https://twitter.com/troybakerva/status/1043084182405173248?s=21

I really wanted to like this game. I don’t agree at all with the reviewer making not so subtle jabs about how he thinks the newer Tales games aren’t anywhere near the level of Vesperia. I loved Berseria so much, certainly loved it much more than what I’ve played of Vesperia so far. And I want to like Vesperia a lot too! Yuri Lowell is a great character, even with his disastrous English voice situation, and even Estelle, Flynn and Rita are fun.
The translation/localization is extremely wonky though, something I’m surprised the review didn’t bring up. You can really tell this is a 2007 localization by how awkward and transliterated a bunch of the dialogue is.

Is it worth trying to push through my griviences to try and find the gold beneath it all? Reading this review wasn’t encouraging at all since there were so many points I just disagreed with, but I just don’t really know how I should proceed with this game.

Last edited by Stelman257 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
>Vesperia
>The best Tales game

Maybe on Mars.

The cast is incredibly enjoyable, the visuals are very pretty, and the dub (before Definitive Edition ruined it) is wonderfully cast and iconic, but the narrative *completely* loses it's identity by the final third of the game, and later games show just how bare-bones the combat was: fun but mindless.

Symphonia and Abyss are easily better. Abyss in particular is one of the greatest JRPGs of that era, no contest. And if Graces had a more interesting story, it would also be better.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Someone needs to another pass at editing this, yikes, the errors everywhere.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
So let me get this right; they couldn't get Troy Baker back to play Yuri, so whenever a new scene shows up in this game suddenly Yuri has a different voice? wtf, just wtf

Why not just recast Yuri as a whole then, I mean this seems insanely lazy from a production stand point.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Huh, I'm 30 hours in on English dub and have not noticed any of the issues some people had. The combat is a lot more fun if you actually try blocking and dodging.

What I noticed most is how big and padding-free this game feels. Especially for how good it looks.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
I used blocking and dodging plenty, and they really don't make it any more enjoyable. They just slow it down even more.
And man I wish I could be as unspoiled by Tales of Berseria's amazing english dub, or even Troy Baker's work as a whole, that I'd have no problems with the dub for Vesperia.

I do get that this game has a huge nostalgia following, and a lot of the people playing this definitive edition already played the game 10 years ago and know how everything about it works already, but it seems really rough for new players to get into.
getumbuck wrote:
So let me get this right; they couldn't get Troy Baker back to play Yuri

Nope. It's more like they couldn't be arsed getting him back. They didn't even bother asking him, they just assumed he'd say no because he's a big name now.
https://twitter.com/troybakerva/status/1043084182405173248?s=21
getumbuck wrote:
so whenever a new scene shows up in this game suddenly Yuri has a different voice? wtf, just wtf
Why not just recast Yuri as a whole then, I mean this seems insanely lazy from a production stand point.

This game has double the original voice acting than the original, so new voiced scenes are so so frequent, and easily noticeable since Yuri just sounds like a different dude every other scene. And later on, I hear the new voice eventually bleeds into the new combat attacks and new mini skits as well!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
So let me get this right; they couldn't get Troy Baker back to play Yuri, so whenever a new scene shows up in this game suddenly Yuri has a different voice? wtf, just wtf

Yeah, even Capcom during their worst period did the right thing when recasting Lady for the Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition. Bamco should have done the same but instead pulled the same crap they did for DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi and just reused half of the character's lines from a previously-released game (in DBZ's case it was Raging Blast 1 which was dubbed and released before the Kai recasts).

I haven't gotten around to playing yet but I heard there were other characters that got recast for this game's new lines as well but I'm not sure who.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Someone needs to another pass at editing this, yikes, the errors everywhere.

Looks like you might wanna "take" another look at this post to see the error you overlooked in it.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Tales of Eternia was by far the best Tales game the series had to offer to date. I wouldn't even rate Vesperia in the top 5 of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1