• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass to Launch in April, But Not in 00's Slot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Guess the time change may be due to the popularity of the series.

Yeesh, all this waiting is killing me. >P
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
From late nite to prime time. Bravo, Sunrise.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
so Code Geass 2 and Macross Frontier both start in April.

this is gonna get ugly.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the timeslot itself has died? They've been exploiting it for a long time now, it's possible that the 5pm Sunday timeslot could be replacing the old 6pm Saturday one entirely. Gundam 00's second season hasn't been confirmed for the Saturday timeslot yet either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Er, hasn't Macross Frontier already started? The first episode has aired, at least. Or is that just a tease and the full run starts later?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Heres hoping its an HD broadcast.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Er, hasn't Macross Frontier already started? The first episode has aired, at least. Or is that just a tease and the full run starts later?

yeah it was a sneak preview. the series doesn't officially start until April.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Indeed! This is great news - I recently finished the original series and I fell in love with it! I hope the second series lives up to the high standards set by the first!
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Heres hoping its an HD broadcast.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Hopefully this time they'll broadcast in a standard aspect ratio!
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
Maybe the timeslot itself has died? They've been exploiting it for a long time now, it's possible that the 5pm Sunday timeslot could be replacing the old 6pm Saturday one entirely. Gundam 00's second season hasn't been confirmed for the Saturday timeslot yet either.

I think it's a way to avoid Major which is very very popular in Japan, it's the reason Destiny ratings declined so much and not because Destiny sucked (I mean c'mon lots of crap that sucks still rates very highly...). Reruns of the 3rd Major season are not far behind Gundam 00 and even beat it once, the 4th season starts in Jan and it's going to get a movie in 2009...

Of course this leaves speculation as to what is taking over the Dokuro slot, personally I'm hoping for Macross Frontier. It would be near criminal for that to be a late night series.

Quote:

this is gonna get ugly.

Doubt it, if it was Gundam 00 and Frontier (Frontier 01 takes a dump on 00's first ep) otho...
Destinyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I think it's a way to avoid Major which is very very popular in Japan, it's the reason Destiny ratings declined so much and not because Destiny sucked (I mean c'mon lots of crap that sucks still rates very highly...).

Yeah, that could be a reason, but there's also the possibility that the broadcaster already had slated the next show to replace Gundam 00 in the Spring.

As for the reason why Destiny ratings declined, that's arguable too. It is true that Major aired its first season during the time SEED Destiny was being broadcasted, but I would think that sequels would be lower in ratings compared to its predecessors (since most people would think that you need to see the first series before seeing the second). Also, if you take a look at the ratings for SEED Destiny, there really isn't a time where there was a noticeable declining trend in ratings. The ratings seem to be random for the most part for that show; one episode could be 4.9% and then the next one would shoot up to 7.8%.

You could be right, but there are other possibilities to consider as well.

Westlo wrote:
Of course this leaves speculation as to what is taking over the Dokuro slot, personally I'm hoping for Macross Frontier. It would be near criminal for that to be a late night series.

In contrast, I'd rather they put something else on the slot and not Macross Frontier for Spring 2008.

Nothing against Macross or its fanbase (I've never seen any of the shows or OVAs), but I'd like to see the producers experiment with the slot in Spring '08 instead of putting something on there that probably is guaranteed to be a success. So far, the only shows that did well in the ratings on that slot are shows that come from a well-known franchise (Gundam) or from a very popular manga (Fullmetal Alchemist).

Since Gundam 00 isn't doing bad in the ratings and it's going to have its second season air in Fall 2008, this is a chance to test something and see if it'll work. If it does, it may help create more original anime and make them successful on the slot in the future. If it doesn't succeed, it's not the end of the timeslot. They'll have a decent ratings show in Gundam 00 Season 2 ready for Fall.

I just don't want to see the slot host only mecha shows or franchises that are already well known. That slot has a lot of potential of producing very high quality anime, so I hope they don't limit it to just those types due to ratings.

In any case, while it hasn't been announced, I think it's safe to say that either this upcoming Macross series or perhaps the rumored BONES anime (Bounen no Zamudo, I think it's called?) will take over Gundam 00 in the Spring. BONES shows have been on that slot before, so it wouldn't be unusual. It was rather unfortunate that the last show on there bombed (Ayakashi Ayashi), but maybe they can redeem themselves with Zamudo (assuming that it is a show).

Quote:

this is gonna get ugly.

Yeah, in a way, it could, but that might depend on the times they air in Japan. If Macross airs on at late night, then in a sense, the two are aiming at different demographics/audiences. So there won't be as much competition between the two in terms of merchandise sales (DVDs, models, etc.).

Splitter wrote:

Technically, it's not primetime. 5pm Sunday is certainly a better airtime than late night, but that's not really a primetime slot. Primetime is usually around 7-11pm, with Golden Time at 7-10pm in Japan. Still, the fact that Season 2 will be airing in the late afternoon instead of late night (like Season 1 did) shows how well this show did.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
Wait... that was only a preview of Macross Frontier?!?!

Damn.... it's the best first episode I've seen in a while. I can't wait for more.

Spring is looking to be good. Macross, Geass, theoretically the new Haruhi.... of course, Spring is always one of the best seasons for anime. Spring 2006 brought us Ouran, the first Haruhi, Higurashi, Utawarerumono, Simoun, NANA, and Mushishi. Hope this one will bring just as many great titles.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Destinyblade wrote:
As for the reason why Destiny ratings declined, that's arguable too. It is true that Major aired its first season during the time SEED Destiny was being broadcasted, but I would think that sequels would be lower in ratings compared to its predecessors (since most people would think that you need to see the first series before seeing the second). Also, if you take a look at the ratings for SEED Destiny, there really isn't a time where there was a noticeable declining trend in ratings. The ratings seem to be random for the most part for that show; one episode could be 4.9% and then the next one would shoot up to 7.8%.

You could be right, but there are other possibilities to consider as well.

Destiny's DVD sales did an average of 65k per volume compared to the first seasons average of 54k. I'll say Major is the main cause for its ratings not being as good as SEED.

Quote:
In contrast, I'd rather they put something else on the slot and not Macross Frontier for Spring 2008.

Nothing against Macross or its fanbase (I've never seen any of the shows or OVAs), but I'd like to see the producers experiment with the slot in Spring '08 instead of putting something on there that probably is guaranteed to be a success.

You can say they have already gone through that period really with Blood+, Ayakashi Ayashi and Terra e. That's 2 years of 2-4% ratings after 3 years of 4-7% that they had from Gundam SEED, FMA and Destiny. Also IIRC the previous show in that time slot before it became anime was something like a Live Action Ultraman and was rating 7-9%.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1