• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Voice Actress Hiroko Konishi Shares Her #MeToo Story

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought Daisuke Namikawa hiding an affair involving his manager for many years was bad...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yet another reason why I'd honestly not go to Japan. It's bad enough being a woman in a place where women are just treated like crap (my country), but going there and hearing stories like this, in a place that a bunch of people think is "much more advanced" just gives me the creeps.

Only when people start teaching their sons to respect women and not to treat them as sex toys or incubators for their kids, will we start seeing some kind of change.
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It's always shocking to hear about this kinda stuff. This story kinda bothers me since one of the sex pests was Akitarō Daichi which I met last year at Animazement, after hearing about this kind of stuff all the time its surprising to hear it about someone I've met. I really hope they don't invite him back with a story like this featuring him.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She shared a personal story she heard from a friend in the industry, whose husband had been having adulterous affairs with numerous voice actresses at the time. This was such an open secret that one of the voice actresses involved in the affairs even told her, "This is how things work in the industry." Upon confronting her husband about the issue, the friend was physically abused. They divorced, and Konishi's friend now works and raises their child as a single mother

That sounds suspiciously similar to what happened to Yuka Imai...
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Yet another reason why I'd honestly not go to Japan. It's bad enough being a woman in a place where women are just treated like crap (my country), but going there and hearing stories like this, in a place that a bunch of people think is "much more advanced" just gives me the creeps.

Only when people start teaching their sons to respect women and not to treat them as sex toys or incubators for their kids, will we start seeing some kind of change.

That's why I tell people when people I see online or irl that Japan's not as advanced as they think they are.

I'm sorry this happened to this actress. I hope she's not getting harassed online for coming out
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
That’s really messed up. It’s horrible that female voice actors have to go through that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's just creepy. She deserved better
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote

This stuff can and probably happens in other countries as well, not just Japan.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm proud of her for speaking out like this. It's systemic abuse like what she described that destroys the lives of good people.

Women in entertainment deserve to feel safe, respected, and human.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
that reminds how she was the original voice of Shiori in Kanon,but due to her quiting(that we now know was over these serious issues.) she was replaced in both anime adaptations and her voice was completely re-dubbed by her anime replacement when the visual novel was ported to PSP(you can only hear her voice in the Dreamcast and PS2 versions).
I miss her.How can't you love her Lilith and Bridget?
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

This stuff can and probably happens in other countries as well, not just Japan.

It happens in the USA, what do people think Harvey Weinstein was arrested for? This isn't a Japan problem it's an indoctrinated system thousands of years old problem. Very glad women are speaking up.

On another note I understand now why Natsuki Takaya hated the director of the first Fruits Basket anime so much. I wonder if he tried to pull some sexist bullshit on her too?
Phraze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda glad the MeToo movement is helping flush out the dark secrets in the entertainment industry, but also worried if it goes too far. At least, it's good to know who to avoid or support. I thought Hiroko Konishi wasn't interested in voice acting, since she's only in old anime.. Turns out she had it rough. I wonder if other lesser-known seiyuu have similar stories.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Side question, is she related to Ryosei Konishi?
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:

That's why I tell people when people I see online or irl that Japan's not as advanced as they think they are.
out

Wait, people think that Japan is advanced compared to what? It sort of puzzles me because for all that it is certainly a first world country, decently rich and with good infrastructure and all, most people seem to know this specific social aspect is worse than in most of the West. I wouldn't know compared to other Asian countries - Korea seems even worse from what I hear, and India is very messy too.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
I'm kinda glad the MeToo movement is helping flush out the dark secrets in the entertainment industry, but also worried if it goes too far. At least, it's good to know who to avoid or support. I thought Hiroko Konishi wasn't interested in voice acting, since she's only in old anime.. Turns out she had it rough. I wonder if other lesser-known seiyuu have similar stories.

she was pretty big in the late 90's(she even voiced T.K in the first Digimon season).She got plenty of big roles despite a relatively short career and then she suddenly quit around 2002 with Bridget in Guilty Gear XX being her last voice-work and is now a full time singer.
Also,quite a coincidence that she was replaced by Yui Horie(who was becoming big around that time.)in two series directed by the guy she had issues with,huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4