• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mob Psycho 100 (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
I literally laughed out loud when Reigen managed to get solid hits on the Claw members by using his dirty tricks. I was not even much of a fan of Reigen's tricks and jokes about him being powerless earlier, but how he was in this episode made me laugh quite a bit. Like just with some confidence he was able to turn all the grunts into his followers.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
(Haha! Reigen actually fooled everyone in the organization! Isn't he such a good conman?)

...yep. Well, it actually managed to be funny, though, since Reigen acted like a decent human being towards the Claw members, and his insights on their methods were all pretty funny.

Reigen in general was just really good this episode. Him being Mob's inspiration just gives him really great material. I hope he's not dead/Mob doesn't go bananas for the sake of a spectacle, possibly undermining the material so far.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Shit is going to go down next episode. Mob's master was trying to stop his Murderous Intent side from taking over and slapped him out of it. Only to be taken down from the back. Next episode is going to be great.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well that was quite a ride. I liked it overall especially considering how they concluded the arc with Reigen, Mob, etc and their conflict with Claw.

Reigen and Ritsu are my favorite characters in this series. I just really like their role overall in the show. Ritsu especially impressed me with clever he can be while Reigen always knows how to get out of tough situations. That power up by Mob also made him quite a badass in the finale.

The soundtrack was great. Kenji Kawai did a terrific job from start to finish.
Rating this Excellent. This was one of my favorite series for this Summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordMaou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

That was an amusing episode. At least Reigen realized that he was having Mob's power within him. The fact that he was able to play it off to crush all their dreams in the organization.

The anime sets up a bit that there could be another season coming which is good. With showing that kid's father as the leader and he will be coming back soon as well as Hanazawa forming his own group essentially to train them. Ritsu showing off his power to his parents was pretty funny as well.

It seems like the final little bit with the tsuchinoko was done by One I think judging by the graphics and animation since it was in a different style.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That was kind of glorious. I thought that they had kind of written themselves into a thematic corner, but they really managed to pull it off and make it fun. Mob's trust in Reigen and Reigen earned trust from Mob was able to pull together this battle. A mix of Mob's power transported to Reigen and Reigen's ability to read people as well as belief on special and cutting words, tore Claw apart. It really made me laugh, enjoy the fight, and feel satisfied with the message. Mob was a kid so he was allowed to run, that was giving it to Reigen. The best bit for me was when Reigen was pointing out the useless accessories. I did not even like Reigen earlier, but by the end I really like his character, and I might somewhat say the same about Dimple.

If there is an anime you have to compare Mob Psycho 100 to, the clear answer seems to be One Punch Man, but it also makes it kind of hard. No lies about it, One Punch Man is awesome and funny, but Mob Psycho 100 is kind of different. Overall I think it might be even better, which I think comes somewhat from directly pulling a more ONE styled art style, the focus was put more on the sort of weirdness or energy that comes from it, it kind of feels like some sort of honesty to it. Although I maybe can't quite say if it was as fun.

Regardless I am going with a rating of Excellent (9/10). I was not even thinking that highly of it at the beginning, despite that it creeped up on me as really good, and something that felt like it had the confidence to be what it was.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

They're back and exciting as ever! Pretty cool OP song for the second season.

The reaction to Mob's speech was absolutely gold. Well done LOL. Reigen is awesome as usual. I really hope he gets a good amount of screen time this season. As for everything else, I'm glad this episode managed to capture the mood of the previous season.

They also managed to make the episode more emotional than I had thought too.

Great stuff, can't wait for more. I'm guessing this is also a 1-cour like the previous season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote
Poor Mob with the speech. Seems pretty basic with the character that he is far from charismatic and would totally embarrass himself.

Actually forgot that he already had a bad experience with a love letter, the one where he got "captured" by the rival school. But in doing so remembered what he said back then, that it was unlikely, that he wanted to go on the off chance that it was a girl, and respect her feelings. And how the story went with Mob still holding such respect and care for Emi, even if she isn't some instant girlfriend, was cute. We should all be kinder.

A special mention for the body improvement club, who are always best bros.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gone back to re-watch season 1 yet, but I think Season 2 episode 3 was some of the jankiest animation I've seen in this series. It seemed to fix halfway through, but there was some weirdness.

Incredibly stoked for episode 4. Twisted Evil
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting to see Mob so conflicted, where his emotions would lead him to not harm someone, coming into conflict of usually trying to hold back his emotions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

That was probably one of the sweetest ends of the show. That it is quite likely that Mob has known for some time that Reigen is a completely normal person, but to Mob the most important thing is that he is actually a good guy. Reigen may be a fake psychic, but he genuinely helps people and is doing everything he can, but does not actually take advantage of people that he actually hurts them, as he said he does not do things like sell people over expensive useless stuff like beads or salt.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

What an end. That it indeed looks like we saw Mob actually have to go all out, from an opponent with possibly equal strength, but it did look like another damn broke when Mob came to a conclusion that he could not make the leader of Claw improve for the better. And yet, after Mob told everyone to run from the out of control power, he went back and said that he is not going to leave the man alone no matter how much Mob disliked him. It is those big character moments that really set Mob up as a hero that cares more about people than being powerful. The coolest part was probably when Mob said "body improvement, fight on", the mantra of his group, the mantra of his people that look to improve themselves through hard work, and also care about their fellows. Extra sweet with the body improvement club, who upon hearing that Mob and Ritsu would be out of a home for a couple days, they propose a training camp just so they are looked after.

Reigen seems to have hired Serizawa, which could work well for him in having a psychic at hand at all times, and Reigen would be the best possible person to teach him some social skills. Hopefully they have enough work to support them both. Strange with the broccoli, and yet realization that the explanation is not as random as it seems. Oh my god, checking out the first OP with the broccoli, it was already telegraphed, such as from his heart and the explosion.

What to say about season 2? Again, another Excellent (9/10) show. There were big parts, but sometimes the biggest were most understated from just growth of characters such as Reigen and Mob. Reigen's entire arc kind of came out of him giving selfish and bad advice to Mob after he had actually managed to make some genuine friends that were giving him a fulfilling youth. One of the big turns seems that Mob has come to accept some use of his emotions, and a broader understanding of complex not always nice parts of others. There are some hard truths in parts of its stories, against childish ideas of superiority over others, and a need to be willing to forgive others.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
Season 3 first episode just finished airing today.

We're back with more Mob Psycho.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 26: Future ~Career Paths~

Summary: Mob is given a Career Path Survey to fill out, but he's having trouble deciding on what to do for work, once school is over. Later, Reigen and company help a customer who claims to have a cursed antique. After that, Reigen, Mob, and Serizawa go to visit a dirty, middle-aged man living in a disgusting house who claims an evil spirit is possessing him and causing all of his unfortunate circumstances.
----------------------------------

Comments: The ultimate introverted hero is back! I've always loved this franchise for its ability to make its protagonist so overpowered and, yet, socially inept and clumsy with his emotions. But the beauty of it all is how he slowly comes of age, little by little, and learns to embrace some of the emotions he'd been too shy to let out. Top that off with some cool psychic/spiritual powers, his hilarious teacher and moral compass in Reigen, then all those wonderful sprinkles of emotional surges, and you've got a formula for, not just a great shounen series, but some top-tier anime, in general.

I've not read the manga, but I'm gonna' take a gander and assume this will be the final season, or at least, second-to-last, depending on how detailed the plot gets. But judging by the previous 2 seasons (which I feel were expertly-paced), and the fact that the manga is only 16 volumes, I think this'll be it for Mob.

As for the episode itself, I feel it was something of a "mid-mid-life crisis" for Mob (the extra mid, because he's still so young). Pretty much everybody had some kind of idea on where to take their future, but not him. When I was 14, all I had my mind on was hanging out with friends, playing video games, reading comic books, watching pro wrestling, anime, and thinking of girls I thought were pretty. There was no way "work" was even a blip on my radar. Add to that my, somewhat, shy, demeanor and awkward personality, when people even mentioned "the future," I was clueless and, honestly, a little pissed that they'd wanna' rain on my parade.

Regardless, with what I know, now, and remembering how I was (trust me, I remember, I have a very good memory), there's not much I'd change. Well, at least in terms of activities. Intellectually and emotionally, I'd grab young me by the collar and pimp-slap the stupid out of him.

I can't stress enough how awesome this show is, both, as a flashy actioner, and coming-of-age story. This one really hits the feels. And Reigen is probably my 2nd favorite comedic character next to Eikichi Onizuka. What a season for shounen!

Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 27: Yokai Hunter Amakusa Haruaki Appears! ~The Threat of a Hundred Demons!!

Summary: Mob is given the task of coming up with some costume ideas for the school’s Cultural Fair. Meanwhile, a self-proclaimed yokai hunter named Amakusa Haruaki, employs Spirits and Such Consultation to help him eliminate some powerful yokai.

Comments: More slice-of-life-ish storytelling and shenanigans wrapped up in a demon hunting adventure. It felt like an episode of One-Punch Man in how satirically fast the "conflict" was resolved.

Mob continues to grow, as he's way more confident, now, compared to how he was in the first season. At the end of this episode, I love the reaction from Reigen where he's remarking to himself, "Mob was able to solve something on his own?!" Mob's made leaps and bounds as a person, and it's damn fun to see how much he's grown up.

The last screencap I took of Mob and his classmates watching the haunted house they made the costumes for is how I feel watching the show. Many shounen titles grow their characters, sure. But a lot of it is through epic battles and the growth, to me, feels like it's mostly within the framework of the ever-expanding narrative, rather than something subtle like what we're seeing with Mob and his emotions. It feels more intimate, and I find that aspect extremely unique about this franchise.

Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5