• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toy Company Banpresto Dissolves, Combines With Bandai Spirits

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Spirits was established on February 15, 2018. The subsidiary absorbed the figure and plastic model business from Bandai and the convenience store goods business from Banpresto.

Well, their figures always were of, let's say, less than desirable quality, leaning issues, miscolored details, shoddy work overall. Nowadays I avoid theirs no matter how pretty the previews look...
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
Bandai Spirits was established on February 15, 2018. The subsidiary absorbed the figure and plastic model business from Bandai and the convenience store goods business from Banpresto.

Well, their figures always were of, let's say, less than desirable quality, leaning issues, miscolored details, shoddy work overall. Nowadays I avoid theirs no matter how pretty the previews look...

Bandai Spirits QC was/is a joke. Their first DB Kuji was plagued with nothing but issues.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing any future Super Robot Wars games will just be released by BamCo without a Banpresto titlecard then.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I'm guessing any future Super Robot Wars games will just be released by BamCo without a Banpresto titlecard then.

I'm fairly sure the Banpresto name & logo hasn't been used in a long time for SRW; even the development studio eventually got renamed to B.B. Studio. Hell, it'll be a solid decade since the Banpresto name was even used on the cover of an SRW title, with the last one being Super Robot Wars Neo on the Wii in late 2009.

Effectively, this is how a legendary name in mech anime video games ends: Not with a bang, but with a whimper of dissolution.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Banpresto figures were pretty decent for their cost if you didn't want to spend a bit more for a Figuarts or something. They'll be missed.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I get they did figures, yet didn't they do plushies at one point? Or was that another company?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Banpresto figures were pretty decent for their cost if you didn't want to spend a bit more for a Figuarts or something. They'll be missed.

Yeah, I can't say I see this as good news. I guess it's possible they'll keep going under the Spirits name, but the Banpresto figures I have were pretty reasonable for the price. Granted, I've since moved on to other companies since there my experience with figures is that there tends to be some "you get what you pay for" but it's not like I don't display my Banpresto figures with all the rest.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:

Yeah, I can't say I see this as good news. I guess it's possible they'll keep going under the Spirits name, but the Banpresto figures I have were pretty reasonable for the price. Granted, I've since moved on to other companies since there my experience with figures is that there tends to be some "you get what you pay for" but it's not like I don't display my Banpresto figures with all the rest.
I don't think the Banpresto name will be going. The way it reads, it is just corporate shuffling and reorganising, probably consolidating things under one division while retaining trademarks. If the name has gone, I just hope they retain the EXQ line
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

Wait what? I have to disagree on Model Kit counterpart, Their recent kits are amazing and innovative. RX-78 revive, Sinanju, Moon Gundam, Gustav Karl, etc.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope they keep making figures. I have several of their figures, with several more I hope to purchase when I have more disposable income. No, they are not the pinnacle of quality, but they certainly are very good for the price. Aside from prize figures (which no matter who they are tend to be of less than dazzling quality), you are usually paying a third or a quarter of the price of some other manufacturers for only marginally lesser quality figures. As one of the only makers doing full-sized figures in such a lower price range, it could be a detriment for anyone looking to get into figure collecting without a larger initial investment, or going for nendoroids.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:

I don't think the Banpresto name will be going. The way it reads, it is just corporate shuffling and reorganising, probably consolidating things under one division while retaining trademarks. If the name has gone, I just hope they retain the EXQ line

Quote:
The February 22 issue of the National Printing Bureau's Kanpō publication revealed that toy company Banpresto has been dissolved and combined with Bandai Namco Holdings' toy and hobby subsidiary Bandai Spirits. Bandai Spirits has taken over all rights and duties from the former company.

Sounds pretty dead to me.

I really like Banpresto's work and their modern figures have been of excellent quality. They aren't as prone to warping and leaning like their older pieces. But I also don't understand what people expected. You can't expect $100 figure quality from a $15 prize figure. Hopefully the new company will continue where Banpresto left off because I really love the Grandista line. Huge 1/6 scale anime figures with option parts for under $20, what's not to like?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:

Quote:
The February 22 issue of the National Printing Bureau's Kanpō publication revealed that toy company Banpresto has been dissolved and combined with Bandai Namco Holdings' toy and hobby subsidiary Bandai Spirits. Bandai Spirits has taken over all rights and duties from the former company.

Sounds pretty dead to me.

I really like Banpresto's work and their modern figures have been of excellent quality. They aren't as prone to warping and leaning like their older pieces. But I also don't understand what people expected. You can't expect $100 figure quality from a $15 prize figure. Hopefully the new company will continue where Banpresto left off because I really love the Grandista line. Huge 1/6 scale anime figures with option parts for under $20, what's not to like?

Emerje

That means nothing. They can dissolve that arm but can retain the branding, consolidating it under one section rather than being two, cutting down the costs of middle management. What's the point of having two sections working on the same kind of thing when you can just merge one into the other? The Banpresto name is still well known, so they can keep that, just the figures are made under the guidance of Bandai Spirits management
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
After Their Recent SRW games keep getting more and more diminishing returns, Banpresto dissolving this way seemed more and more likely with each game released.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
After Their Recent SRW games keep getting more and more diminishing returns, Banpresto dissolving this way seemed more and more likely with each game released.

it seems you haven't been following the news much.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-03/playstation-awards-2018-winners-announced/.140284
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think people are missing the point, Banpresto was Prize toy first and foremost. Yes quality wasn't all that great, but they had some really neat products. Not to mention the price point was $15-$30. If your super picky about details go with the $100+ figure.

I have many Banpresto items, some were junk, and some were not. These and Sega Prize figures are my goto on the cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2