• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adezero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
idk this show is a bit of a disappointment after playing blood will tell. Blood Will Tell had an amazing in-depth story, he got his windpipe back very early so he could talk, in this anime he's a lifeless doll until ep 7.

The anime seems very rushed, like the first village with the demon woman who steals the towns money and the guy who rings bells to draw people in, it was one episode and wrapped up very fast. In BWT is was much more suspenseful, you didn't know who the demon was right away like in the anime. Hyakkimaru just immediately notices the color of her soul is red and attacks her. In the game you follow the guy who rings a bell for awhile then you find out about him, then you get put into a trap by the demon woman and you escape, etc...

Same thing with the cursed sword, it was one ep in the anime, hours of gameplay in the game.

Also there were 48 demons in the game, 12 in this show. I understand 48 mighta been too much for a show but it just seems they cut this series way too thin.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
adezero wrote:
Also there were 48 demons in the game, 12 in this show. I understand 48 mighta been too much for a show but it just seems they cut this series way too thin.

What the 2019 anime is doing far better than the manga,the 1969 anime,the 2007 movie and the PS2 game is developing Hyakkimaru's character.Using only 12spoiler[13 actually]demons allows for a slower pace plus more original content such as episode 7.

The PS2 game does have one thing over the manga and '69 anime..an actual ending.
(The '69 anime has the better OP/Ending song of the other two adaptations)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
why is she making the effort not to kill people?

It sounded to me like she was sort of farming people. If she didn't kill them and they recovered, she could feed off them again later.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Expect a lot more anime-original material now that we know Dororo is going to be 24 episodes long.

I thought it was a widely known fact that this show was going to be 2 cours since it started airing. The pace of the series also suggested that it was not going to conclude in one cour.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Quote:
Expect a lot more anime-original material now that we know Dororo is going to be 24 episodes long.

I thought it was a widely known fact that this show was going to be 2 cours since it started airing. The pace of the series also suggested that it was not going to conclude in one cour.

I had no clue, it's original listing made no mentions of two cour either that i could find. Then again it's streaming on Amazon so they're far from being open about their shows.

As an aside, i hope this doesn't mean a change to that Opening theme.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear about the 24 episode season Smile
skooby00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Quote:

I had no clue, it's original listing made no mentions of two cour either that i could find. Then again it's streaming on Amazon so they're far from being open about their shows.

As an aside, i hope this doesn't mean a change to that Opening theme.
I forget who and what ep exactly but a fairly notable person among the anime industry had said they were currently animating ep 15 (or something around there) that clearly indicated a 2nd cour. They said this very early on into the show. (Was a twitter post)

I found the tweet https://twitter.com/osamukoba/status/1082040974086262784
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I'm really at a loss as to why this series is getting such meh / low reviews ... I feel like it's one of the objectively strongest series this season. Am I crazy?

No, you're not. It's one of the best shows I've seen in quite some time.

I'm sure it's being dismissed in part because of its supposedly "dated" style. That ignores how spectacularly well-illustrated and well-animated Dororo is. The fighting animations are well-paced and choreographed, and the quieter scenes are often lovely to look at. Also the casting has been spot on. I'm not usually a fan of "monster-of-the-week" type shows, but at least Dororo has underlying plot threads that knit the episodes together. (At the moment GeGeGe no Kitarou is going through one of its "monster-of-the-week" phases as well, and those episodes have little connective tissue. I'm sure we'll be back to Mana and Nanashi soon though.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This weeks episode was great, it was great that Dororo took a more active role than usual. One thing that did make me a little sad was that after watching the cool monster fight, I realised that part of that was because it was animated the same as everything else on screen, not a dirty great 3D model, and I thought how much I could have enjoyed stuff like the bear fight in Golden Kamuy, if they had put some effort in.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The times are changing, and both Dororo's parents and Itachi had to determine what matters more: their principles or their survival.

In fact, the overarching theme of Dororo is about survival, and the extent people go to survive, as covered in this anime forum post here.
https://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=6325881&postcount=213

Quote:
We've been presented different perspectives on what (surviving all odds) could mean...(from Daigo making a devil's deal to ensure the survival of his lands and ambition, to Hyakkimaru being forced to fight to survive his cursed nature.)

...(Tezuka) was deeply influenced by Buddhism...(which believes)— that to live is to suffer — but at the same time believes in the salvation that enlightenment offers: the surrendering of one's ego, and all its attendant desires.

What would be the actualisation of such salvation, in practical terms?...(It would be) survival for its own sake, while being (mindful of the) price of survival.

The poster also talks about why Dororo is so central to the story:

Quote:
I feel it's because Dororo is the least morally conflicted character out of all the people we've seen so far in the series. Everyone else, including poor Mio, was caught in desperate situations not of their choosing, and over which they had very little control.

In a world where everyone is a monster, either literally or figuratively (by compromising their morals in survival's name), Dororo stands out for being the single pure individual who is acting on what he feels to be the right thing to do.

At this point in time, the one piece of his humanity that would be the most difficult for Hyakkimaru to recover is his conscience, his ability to reflect on the price of his actions. And that is why Dororo is key to the equation: the child is the heart and soul of this moral tale, the only one reflecting on this important question as the story unfolds.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Great episode, from the presentation to the story. My hands hurt after that soup scene.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I read that Dororos mother drew a map on her back showing the location of her fathers treasure, is this revealed later or has this plot point been dropped from this adaptation.]

The bit at the end when Dororo was asking Hyakkimaru about being undressed, must mean that Dororo is deliberately concealing her gender, which sounds different from your description of the Manga where she truly believes she is male. I wonder if in her parents forced this gender on her, maybe to protect her because of all the bandits or that male heir trope. Or maybe with no females, aside her mother, she did not have anyone to emulate.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
spoiler[I read that Dororos mother drew a map on her back showing the location of her fathers treasure, is this revealed later or has this plot point been dropped from this adaptation.]

They may do that later since it brings Itachi back around and we never find out what happens to him.

Quote:
The bit at the end when Dororo was asking Hyakkimaru about being undressed, must mean that Dororo is deliberately concealing her gender, which sounds different from your description of the Manga where she truly believes she is male. I wonder if in her parents forced this gender on her, maybe to protect her because of all the bandits or that male heir trope. Or maybe with no females, aside her mother, she did not have anyone to emulate.

In terms of adaptation the 2019 show is showing a much different version of Dororo's character than the manga. Whereas in the manga she's adamant about being a boy, here she seems very conscious of the fact that she is a girl going by this episode. Her gender isn't brought up until this episode, but even until then she never said what she was one way or another (it's mostly unimportant but still), people would just assume she is a boy and she didn't seem to care one way or the other. Though she does seem very self-conscious about it when it comes to Hyakkimaru finding out (who doesn't care anyway because she's just Dororo to him).

As for your assumption, I believe its the former. Her parents were trying to protect her.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
This episode was emotionally draining. Probably the strongest anti-war story I've seen since episode 20 of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018).
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
Judging by what we've seen so far, it seems to be hard enough to live in this world if you're a (poor) man but even shittier as a woman, so i'm not surprised that Dororo doesn't want to be seen as a girl...

Another sad but impressive epsiode, i guess it won't be long before Hyakkimaru and his brother will clash now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13