• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Girls Gotta Go Fast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee, I have only one question: what about the results of the last poll you ran -- what now seems to be the final poll? I was pretty curious about it.

Also, Rideback is a pretty good show; I recommend it. And watching the K-On girls sprinting for last place never gets old.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the bottom poll is getting tossed out

I'd imagine this will not be a liked opinion.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Total kudos for giving Rideback and Battle Athletes a mention!
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Bring back the polls!
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Battle Athletes Victory was the first thing I thought of. Fun and weird mid-90's show.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Lynzee, I have only one question: what about the results of the last poll you ran -- what now seems to be the final poll? I was pretty curious about it.

Seconded. Especially since the list of nominees was so long, just seeing who cracked the top 20 was going to be interesting.

And kudos to Lynzee for coming up with a couple of entries I'd never heard of before, even in a list where I've already watched (and enjoyed) the majority of these shows.
2weird4u

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
But why get rid of the polls? They were fun! Please bring them back!

Edit: forgot to say this but good job with the new lay-out.

Last edited by 2weird4u on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell is the Utena car? Don't you know how many revolutions per minute she gets!? Razz
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You had never heard of sidecar racing? You should really watch Ah! My Goddess: The Movie.

Also, I'd like to join everyone else in saying I liked the polls. I do otherwise like the new layout with it's focus on images though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Battle Athletes. Definitely my first thought as well.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Where the hell is the Utena car? Don't you know how many revolutions per minute she gets!? Razz

:: cue symbol crash::
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering where this column had gone to the past couple of weeks. I was getting worried.
Quote:
[Special Week] embarks on a high-speed journey alongside her personal idol Silence Suzuka and other similarly silly named characters like El Condor Pasa and Grass Wonder.

Silly names?! Ok, you're right, race horses have silly names, but they're not nearly as bad as show dogs (e.g., Propwash Reckon, Nanuke’s SnoKlassic No Boundaries, Cookieland Seasyde Hollyberry) and cats (Wyndchymes Baby's Got Blue Eyes, Songgwangsa Everybunny Wants 2B Me, Castlegate's Toy Soldier of AOL).

I really enjoyed Uma Musume Pretty Derby. Sadly the real Special Week died unexpectedly during the airing of the series, and I was suprised that that didn't warrant so much as a title card at the end of any following episode to acknowledge his passing. Sad

Yes, bring back the polls!
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
Two Car was an.... annoying watch at best (mostly due to our main duo, but some of the supporting cast hardly helped either.) Uma Musume turned out to be pretty fun, though, in addition to making me wonder if the whole "giving race horses silly names" thing is a global phenomenon. Meanwhile, Bakuon could've taught Two Car a thing or two about how to make good use of somewhat jerk-ish characters in a story and make it fun. And finally, Ride Back was just plain great.

I haven't seen any of the other shows on that list, but Long Riders and Hill Climb... Girl, was it? ...sounds like things I would enjoy very much. As for Initial D, I really need to watch some of that some time, if nothing else to see how all those amusingly similar facial expressions (and bad CG cars drifting) come into play to make the show the meme-ish thing it is (or was.) I mean... you chose that screenshot on purpose because of the facial expression thing, right? I still remember that Anime News Nina strip about the subject. You complained about this OAV being more about romance, but personally, I think seeing two characters being romantic while wearing those stone-faced expressions all the time sounds like a recipe for knee-slapping hilarity.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
@Northlander

Pure bred animals, (horses, dogs, cats etc.) have to be registered. The registry agencies usually prohibit duplication of used names. As a result all of the non silly names were taken years ago. A country can have dozens, if not hundreds of people named John Smith but only one race horse.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
So why are the polls getting removed? Were they just too much work for too little gain? I liked them polls (at least whenever I remembered to participate in them).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2