• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Would Crunchyroll Partner With Adult Swim?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll could have instead done a partnership with their corporate parent AT&T where they could offer a phone plan for anime fans and give them a free Crunchyroll partnership just by switching to their wireless service.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Crunchyroll could have instead done a partnership with their corporate parent AT&T where they could offer a phone plan for anime fans and give them a free Crunchyroll partnership just by switching to their wireless service.

AT&T already does that with VRV with AT&T's WatchTV service.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
If this means more dubs from Crunchyroll's catalog getting produced and being aired on TV, I support this. It would be the best of both worlds. More dubs = win
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Haven't Adult Swim always had little interest in Anime, when they brought it back it was because the staff volunteered to stay after work and run it. And even then they only allocate it a few hours late at night.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Haven't Adult Swim always had little interest in Anime, when they brought it back it was because the staff volunteered to stay after work and run it. And even then they only allocate it a few hours late at night.

That in turn did far better ratings than their old block and convinced streaming services that mass quantities of legal anime would entice subscribers.

And then we get Netflix greenlighting a freaking Spriggan adaptation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
If this means more dubs from Crunchyroll's catalog getting produced and being aired on TV, I support this. It would be the best of both worlds. More dubs = win

Yeah, that is definitely a big positive in my book. Also, I do have a cable subscription, but not one with Crunchyroll, so this might save me from subscribing to watch their dubbed stuff . I was taking a wait-and-see approach since Crunchyroll still seemed interested in producing dubs, but the bulk of it was made during the Funimation partnership, so there wasn't much in the way of new content to convince me to subscribe.

Considering that both companies now fall under the same umbrella, it would be strange if they didn't collaborate to some degree. It has to be a positive for Toonami to have access to a steady stream of anime to fill those slots not used by long-running shonen series rather than have to periodically seek something new.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I see no point in this, Toonami is dedicated to airing extremely dated battle shonen series and barely even sniff at the chance to air anything new or different if ever and its been getting much much worse each year to the point where the block is about 95% shonen anime that literally everyone has seen, and don't get me started on the almost 10 yr old episodes of Shippuden. Tbh i personally feel Toonami needs to just go by the wayside and cut the cord, their viewership is low, they're too scared and conservative to try anything new and they rerun everything in their catalog to death like its still 2002. Were glad for the memories but Toonami needs to go, maybe streaming an online programming block might help but honestly I doubt it at this point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Does Funimation signing that exclusive deal with Hulu have anything to do with Toonami partnering with Crunchyroll? I think they'll obviously continue airing the popular Funimation shows they already have like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia, but I can see they might have less shows from Funimation in the future if Hulu gets first dibs on their simulcast shows.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does Funimation signing that exclusive deal with Hulu have anything to do with Toonami partnering with Crunchyroll? I think they'll obviously continue airing the popular Funimation shows they already have like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia, but I can see they might have less shows from Funimation in the future if Hulu gets first dibs on their simulcast shows.

I think this is more of what was inevitably going to happen once ATT acquired both companies. My impression is that Funimation struck that deal with Hulu because it saw that something like this was coming and it was better to pursue other deals before they were mostly shut out. I have a hard time seeing Toonami dropping Dragonball considering its status as a cornerstone of the block, but I don't think they'll look at much outside of new episodes from prior shows.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
I see no point in this, Toonami is dedicated to airing extremely dated battle shonen series and barely even sniff at the chance to air anything new or different if ever and its been getting much much worse each year to the point where the block is about 95% shonen anime that literally everyone has seen, and don't get me started on the almost 10 yr old episodes of Shippuden. Tbh i personally feel Toonami needs to just go by the wayside and cut the cord, their viewership is low, they're too scared and conservative to try anything new and they rerun everything in their catalog to death like its still 2002. Were glad for the memories but Toonami needs to go, maybe streaming an online programming block might help but honestly I doubt it at this point.

I have to disagree. If anything, this seems designed to help Toonami get other types of shows while offsetting the risk by making it cheap to acquire new anime. It might be a case where money still changes hands, but I have to think it will be at a pretty preferential rate. Shonen series have always been Toonami's bread and butter so it's current format is no surprise. If anything, I think it shows that those shows are steady performers, so it doesn't seem like people are all that bothered that some are "old." Also, they haven't been in the habit of rerunning series like that in quite some time. A shorter series might get shifted to the last slot for a single rerun, and then it disappears. They have gone back to old titles now that their are HD materials, but even those were dropped shortly after completion.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Why do you have to look at things so negatively?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I think That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime would be a perfect fit for Toonami. It's got a lot of fantasy action and could appeal to the SAO fan crowd. I could also see them airing Steins Gate 0 since they aired the original series several years ago.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As the different brands in WarnerMedia's new "Global Kids & Young Adults" unit start to join forces, I would look for all of those brands -- Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, VRV, Rooster Teeth, Cartoon Network and Boomerang -- to collaborate on more and more, and possibly combining.

So what you're saying is if all those brands collaborate, it could possibly result in, for example, Crunchyroll putting some of their kids and family anime on Boomerang?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I’m wondering if this means potential dubs for older shows to be put on Toonami that didn’t get dubs prior. I’d imagine this is mostly being done to increase the viewer base of Crunchyroll’s new seasonal content, but if they can do shows like Kuroko’s Basketball, Gintama’s older seasons, and others, it would be incredible, and a great way to incentivize the “cord cutters”.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime would be a perfect fit for Toonami. It's got a lot of fantasy action and could appeal to the SAO fan crowd. I could also see them airing Steins Gate 0 since they aired the original series several years ago.

Toonami never aired Steins;Gate.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutting the cord is not limited to one demographic. People are getting fed up with increasing cable/satellite bills while only regularly watching a fraction of channel lineups offered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2