• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Force Game's 1st of 9 DLC Characters is Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Seto Kaiba

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
Eh - I know a lot of people are happy/were expecting this, but I personally would prefer they add new franchises. That'll create true surprise.
Napul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Eh - I know a lot of people are happy/were expecting this, but I personally would prefer they add new franchises. That'll create true surprise.

Seto's inclusion was absolutely needed. Leaving Atem as sole YGO character in game would be utter waste.
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
I don't want to spoil any of you, but according to the datamine and leaks, there isn't any new franchises.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Not surprising considering that there are several franchises that only have one character, while others have multiple. When I saw that Deku was the only MHA character, I initially thought it was odd not to include All-Might, but then I figured he was probably going to be DLC.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Screw the DLC, I have money!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Miss Shiori wrote:
I don't want to spoil any of you, but according to the datamine and leaks, there isn't any new franchises.

Yeah I heard about that. I’m hoping it’s not entirely true.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Not surprising considering that there are several franchises that only have one character, while others have multiple. When I saw that Deku was the only MHA character, I initially thought it was odd not to include All-Might, but then I figured he was probably going to be DLC.

Considering the datamine, he's one of the DLC with Bakugo.

I do wish Joey Wheeler was also included. That poor guy gets the lower end of the bar all the time. Someone on YouTube said, "Who wouldn't want to see the Red Eyes Black Dragon?!" and I said, "Of course! Why include Atem's reincarnated cousin and not add his best friend?"

But I am glad they put Seto in. He'd more likely have Obelisk to Atem's Slifer. If they did add Joey, he could have Ra.
Napul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
If they did add Joey, he could have Ra.

Jonouchi never had Ra. That would be Marik. And thus he is far more likely choice.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Glad, they adding more Yugioh characters. But I still mad that they only have Asta from Black Clover, I personally don't like the show. But I feel Black Clover should get more character added instead of more One Piece, DBZ, and Bleach (why Bleach get more characters)
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Glad, they adding more Yugioh characters. But I still mad that they only have Asta from Black Clover, I personally don't like the show. But I feel Black Clover should get more character added instead of more One Piece, DBZ, and Bleach (why Bleach get more characters)

Probably because even though it lost a lot of popularity later on in its run, historically Bleach was a pretty popular series, far more than where Black Clover is right now. Black Clover's doing fine, but it's not doing the amount of success that My Hero Academia comparatively has. Black Clover hasn't even had a movie announced yet.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Seto seems like a good choice but I would like if they included a character from a comedy or sports series, kinda like in Smash Bros there are some weird choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, I can imagine Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa fighting using his football and some of the most iconic moves from the manga, also I think Gintoki from Gintama needs to be included as well as some characters from older and less know series like Cobra and Kinnikuman, and Fuusuke from Ninku.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Yeah thats why the DLC leak pretty much confirmed sans Kaiba that this was less a 50th anniversary game and more of a western/casual lovefest. And the shills justifying it only put me off even more.

Amazingly sad when Jump's best crossover game is a DS handheld from 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Seto seems like a good choice but I would like if they included a character from a comedy or sports series, kinda like in Smash Bros there are some weird choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, I can imagine Tsubasa from Captain Tsubasa fighting using his football and some of the most iconic moves from the manga, also I think Gintoki from Gintama needs to be included as well as some characters from older and less know series like Cobra and Kinnikuman, and Fuusuke from Ninku.

Comedy and sports manga aren't popular in the west, and this game was clearly aimed at the western market given it's roster lacks key iconic Jump characters in Japan. If you want a similar game with way more character, try J-Stars Victory VS for PS3 or Jump Ultimate Stars for the DS. They have waaaay more characters and more variety like Gintama, Reborn, Medaka Box, Fist of the North Star, Sket Dance, Kuroko, and Kochikame.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Comedy and sports manga aren't popular in the west, and this game was clearly aimed at the western market given it's roster lacks key iconic Jump characters in Japan.

I'd say Ryo Saeba is a character meant for the Japanese. I doubt most people in the West even heard of City Hunter before this game. And to a lesser extent, Dai is also likely more for the Japanese since even though people in the west have at least likely heard of Dragon Quest, it's not as big here as in Japan and The Adventure of Dai hadn't even gotten an official English release.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I'd say Ryo Saeba is a character meant for the Japanese. I doubt most people in the West even heard of City Hunter before this game. And to a lesser extent, Dai is also likely more for the Japanese since even though people in the west have at least likely heard of Dragon Quest, it's not as big here as in Japan and The Adventure of Dai hadn't even gotten an official English release.

You have to remember that "The West" isn't just North America, as other areas of the world have larger fanbases for series that never even saw release in North America. Ryo was included for the French, who absolutely love "Nicky Larson", and even made their own live-action movie that happened to come out around the same time the game did. Likewise, Dai was likely included for the Arabic players, as I remember hearing that Dai no Daibouken was a massive hit in the Middle East.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2