• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Anime Gets Stage Play

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's a pleasant surprise to hear about any kind of new Tenchi content after all this time, and it's actually going to be a stage play of all things. May well be as close to a live-action adaptation we're every going to get--here's hoping there'll at least be future Youtube videos to check out.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
So...what are they going to cast as the cabbit? Cool
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi isn't as huge as it once was but Kajishima is still pumping out his OVAs and reportedly is already planning an OVA5. Yen Press just recently finished releasing the True Tenchi novels in English and I hope there might still be a chance for the GXP novels to be released. Pretty much every anime seems to get a stage play eventually in Japan so I'm not too surprised about Tenchi getting one other than I'm surprised it took this long.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
So...what are they going to cast as the cabbit? Cool

Isn't this the OVA series, where RO at one point turned into a little cute anthro-toddler?

(...The HECK?? Confused People, be smart, start with Universe, and avoid the OVA canon until you're fully prepared to deal with it.)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tenchi isn't as huge as it once was but Kajishima is still pumping out his OVAs and reportedly is already planning an OVA5.

If that's true, he better concentrate on making something happen. After watching OVA4, it was like he stopped giving a crap even trying to keep his own series interesting (Funimation seems to be in no rush whatsoever in picking this up even after acquiring Ai Tenchi Muyo), and I'm not remotely kidding when I say I find more fulfillment in the Tokyo series than I do the Kajishima OVA when all is said and done.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
OVA4 was mostly plot setup for War on Geminar and OVA5 and fanservice for fans of the novels that were never released in the US which unfortunately gives it too high a barrier for anime only fans which is pretty much all of Western fandom.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tenchi isn't as huge as it once was but Kajishima is still pumping out his OVAs and reportedly is already planning an OVA5. Yen Press just recently finished releasing the True Tenchi novels in English and I hope there might still be a chance for the GXP novels to be released. Pretty much every anime seems to get a stage play eventually in Japan so I'm not too surprised about Tenchi getting one other than I'm surprised it took this long.

I hope the True novels have sold well enough for the GXP novels to star to be brought over. It'd be great to know all these novel only characters before watching the new OVAs O_o
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
The True Tenchi Muyo novels are issued by Seven Seas not Yen Press. Three so far, is that all of them??
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The True Tenchi Muyo novels are issued by Seven Seas not Yen Press. Three so far, is that all of them??

That's it. From what I've read any further planned novels ended up getting turned in to the follow up animated content we got (OVA 3 & GXP), which then lead to the GXP novels as they didn't quite live up to what Kajishima wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1