• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film to Shoot in California, Receive US$18.5 Million Tax Credit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
So they’re going the Americanization route...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
The live action Alita worked as well as it did because it was James Cameron's passion project and he wanted more people to love the original manga. The live action Akira can only succeed if DiCaprio has that same level of passion for Akira but I'll try to keep an open mind to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Alita also worked because the manga is fairly neutral or already westernized to begin with. AKIRA is the most Japanese bowl cut black hair anime ever. It's about Japanese kids in Japan speaking Japanese and talking about Japanese issues that aren't relevant to places not named Japan. For all the BS talk about this anime or that begin a reference to WWII when they're really not, AKIRA actually is the one does that.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
So are they gonna do to California what they did in Big Hero 6? Because I am not entirely adverse to that. I'm concerned for the story itself, but I would still love to see a live-action interpretation of San Fransokyo.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the title reveal. They'll probably call it ANTHONY.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

With main characters Kyle and Theodore
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Romuska wrote:

With main characters Kyle and Theodore

As they ride on their Harley Davidsons!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that tax credit is the budget for the film or even higher than the film budget, I do wonder wonder how much will be needed for the WB and the producers to make a profit! Even if it made $150 million at the U.S. box office, there is this thing called Hollywood Accounting.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Taika Waititi said if he directs the film he will cast Asian teenagers for the role which California has a lot of.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Taika Waititi said if he directs the film he will cast Asian teenagers for the role which California has a lot of.

Although I was a lot more excited for a Taika Waititi film BEFORE "Thor: Raganarok" came out. Confused
Now I'm worried it's going to be just as danged goofy.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of over it at this point. If it DOES happen, I won't be nearly as excited as I was 10 years ago, and I'll wait until it pops up on a streaming platform before I will go see it in the theater. If it DOESN'T happen--again I might add--my emotional investment is really low at this point.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I really think this is gonna be a box-office flop. I appreciate Leonardo DiCaprio's Akira fandom and all, but it's just very difficult to successfully make a good live-action adaptation of an anime no matter how hard he tries. It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football from Lucy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I'm kind of over it at this point. If it DOES happen, I won't be nearly as excited as I was 10 years ago, and I'll wait until it pops up on a streaming platform before I will go see it in the theater. If it DOESN'T happen--again I might add--my emotional investment is really low at this point.

And if it does happen, it won't be better than Alita. Don't underestimate a 20 year passion project that also cost $170m.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:

Waititi cast Tessa Thompson as Brynhildr for Thor Ragnarok, which isn't exactly an accurate casting choice. I wouldn't put too much stock into his comments on Akira.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Waititi cast Tessa Thompson as Brynhildr for Thor Ragnarok, which isn't exactly an accurate casting choice.

Because Valkyrie in the comics is white?

Which no one really cared about?

CastMember1991 wrote:
I really think this is gonna be a box-office flop. I appreciate Leonardo DiCaprio's Akira fandom and all, but it's just very difficult to successfully make a good live-action adaptation of an anime no matter how hard he tries. It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football from Lucy.

And yet Alita happened, it's possible to make a good adaptation of something it's just rare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2