• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Futari H Live-Action Films Unveil Trailer, Visual for 1st Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Wtf...posting this in my Christian site? Shocked
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
Oh my Hikaru-chan she is breathtaking in this outfit Embarassed
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
wow, lots of interesting things here!

@AkaRed you're not wrong!!

First off, I'm puzzled how this even works as a movie. I've read a lot of the manga and it is...shall we say....rather graphic? In fact, you might say that the "sex ed" angle is the point of the manga. This movie appears to have changed that and now it's a romcom? (or am I misunderstanding?)

Second, I was going to point out that I'm surprised to see them make the movies after the (IMHO) rather bad anime adaptations...but then I learned from the article that there were previous TV shows made too? How did those work, were they romcomish like the movie seems to be or were there more like the "sex ed" content of the manga?
eekin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
wow, lots of interesting things here!

@AkaRed you're not wrong!!

First off, I'm puzzled how this even works as a movie. I've read a lot of the manga and it is...shall we say....rather graphic? In fact, you might say that the "sex ed" angle is the point of the manga. This movie appears to have changed that and now it's a romcom? (or am I misunderstanding?)

Second, I was going to point out that I'm surprised to see them make the movies after the (IMHO) rather bad anime adaptations...but then I learned from the article that there were previous TV shows made too? How did those work, were they romcomish like the movie seems to be or were there more like the "sex ed" content of the manga?

It wouldn't be the first time a film took the name of something popular, took out the "undesirables" that make it unique, pigeon hole it into a "standard genre", and present a generic and watered down version for the mass market.

I also recall there being more men in the manga, but then again I also remember being about how this loser somehow appeals to every girl and "almost" accidentally cheats on his wife. So, there probably are more women than I recall.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
eekin wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time a film took the name of something popular, took out the "undesirables" that make it unique, pigeon hole it into a "standard genre", and present a generic and watered down version for the mass market.

You're right about that it's not the first time that kind of thing has happened. I'm still surprised about this specific case. The Futari Ecchi manga was hugely popular, so it was clearly reaching a much much larger audience than just some otaku niche that the general public wouldn't "get". I'm especially surprised that this was "watered down" given the popularity of the original, and the fact that the "sex ed" angle is pretty much Futari Ecchi's raison d'etre. Take that aspect away and it's a rather generic, mediocre, story.

Quote:
I also recall there being more men in the manga, but then again I also remember being about how this loser somehow appeals to every girl and "almost" accidentally cheats on his wife. So, there probably are more women than I recall.

Yes, there are more male characters in the Manga. The main character's older brother Akira, and his sister-in-law's on-again/off-again boyfriend Yamada are the main ones, though there are others too. There were plenty of female characters as well though it seems that the cast list here has all the major ones. I don't recall any instances of the main character cheating, but there were plenty of fantasies presented in "thought balloons" showing that--from the perspective of a variety of both male and female characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1