• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 29-Year-Old Mie Man Arrested for Distributing World Trigger, More Anime via BitTorrent

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
Here we go, another illegal torrenter getting arrested for piracy once Japan. Piracy in Japan is still rampant to this today.

{Edit}: I edited your post and removed the link you had to a very out dated 8 year old article that's from a blatantly pro-piracy site. ~ Psycho 101
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Yikes. World Trigger ain't worth going down for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Here we go, another illegal torrenter getting arrested for piracy once Japan. Piracy in Japan is still rampant to this today, but despite all of this, some expert claims that Piracy boosts anime sales

How do you prove it? You can't. Just like companies can't prove the ridiculous claim that every time someone pirates a piece of media it's a lost sale. All you can do is look how piracy is involved in your life. Although with how little DVD and Blu-Ray sales are mattering these days compared to merchandising and other revenue avenues, it might end up being a moot point in the future. If in the future the only people buying Blu-Rays are collectors who want a physical collection, then piracy is irrelevant to them because you can't pirate a physical collection.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Here we go, another illegal torrenter getting arrested for piracy once Japan. Piracy in Japan is still rampant to this today, but despite all of this, some expert claims that Piracy boosts anime sales

How do you prove it? You can't. Just like companies can't prove the ridiculous claim that every time someone pirates a piece of media it's a lost sale. All you can do is look how piracy is involved in your life. Although with how little DVD and Blu-Ray sales are mattering these days compared to merchandising and other revenue avenues, it might end up being a moot point in the future. If in the future the only people buying Blu-Rays are collectors who want a physical collection, then piracy is irrelevant to them because you can't pirate a physical collection.

I am sure streaming service can replace DVD and Blu-ray as an alternative distribution for the Japanese release. You'll know how streaming sites has become a commonplace in recent years and Japan will definitely do it. Even digital manga has surpassed psychical manga for the 1st game. Digital music such as Itunes and Spotify may be slow, but its still steadily growing, even though Japan is still the king of Physical sales to this day.

Japan must follow the new digital trend like how other parts of the world is being accepted. But it will took years to come.

(sorry for my poor English)
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I am sure streaming service can replace DVD and Blu-ray as an alternative distribution for the Japanese release. You'll know how streaming sites has become a commonplace in recent years and Japan will definitely do it. Even digital manga has surpassed psychical manga for the 1st game. Digital music such as Itunes and Spotify may be slow, but its still steadily growing, even though Japan is still the king of Physical sales to this day.

Japan must follow the new digital trend like how other parts of the world is being accepted. But it will took years to come.

I see streaming as a replacement for TV, not DVDs and Blu-Rays since you don't own what you stream, but you can watch a stream to see if you like the show and then buy it on Blu-Ray when it comes out if you were a big fan.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

I see streaming as a replacement for TV, not DVDs and Blu-Rays since you don't own what you stream, but you can watch a stream to see if you like the show and then buy it on Blu-Ray when it comes out if you were a big fan.

That's fine, there is still a change in our society in the near future. We'll just have to wait and see.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I collect anime, manga and light novels. I colllect the stories I like and the art as well as production means something to me. I have to see a storie to want to collect it. I started with Ranma 1/2 and own all seven hard to find DVD box sets and movies. I also own five seasons of inuyasha and many more legitimate DVD, books in my collection. To become a fan of a series one has to be allowed to experience it. Without that the sale goes undone at least for me! Take Ghost Hunt, I own the anime, my local library has the manga. I would have never collected the anime due to Ghost Hunts art style in the manga not appealing to me! After watching the anime I own the DVD box set due to the change of art style to a more anime apeal.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Yikes. World Trigger ain't worth going down for.

What!? How dare you!! World Trigger is great, but not the anime
Serpenter_rex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Surely its hard build a case when the company actually told people to pirate the anime if they had to? lmao.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Serpenter_rex wrote:
Surely its hard build a case when the company actually told people to pirate the anime if they had to? lmao.

Who said this? If a director said it, it doesn't mean the animation company itself enforces it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1