• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madhouse Production Assistant Says He Worked 393 Hours in One Month

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That comes down around 12,5 hours a day, assuming no rest days. A good example why unions are still needed, I hope he's able to claim that overtime pay...

Wonder what anime the production was working with?
Kaiser_senpai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
That comes down around 12,5 hours a day, assuming no rest days. A good example why unions are still needed, I hope he's able to claim that overtime pay...

If I remember correctly, it is Diamond No Ace Act 2 (the one that started this season)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, workaholic, sleep-at-your-desk, people are like alien creatures to me. Humans like me need freaking food, sleep, and at least 12 hours to wind down away from work we have to go back.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kaiser_senpai wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

If I remember correctly, it is Diamond No Ace Act 2 (the one that started this season)

I was going to guess Boogiepop and Others because that show had to air 18 episodes over the course of just 3 months, which must have been a crazy-tight schedule. If the show really is Ace of the Diamond Act II, then that's very worrisome, because a series that just premiered and is slated to run for a full year should be a lot more ahead of schedule than this.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the assistant said that by coming forward, he worries that he's lost his chance to ever be promoted.

I think we found the problem.

Quote:
People have been asking me if I'm trying to destroy Madhouse, but that's not what I want to do. I just want working conditions to improve."

The source of the problem is not exactly hard to find.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Oh, overwork huh." I had some IV dripped into me, paid the 10,000 yen ambulance fee, and then went home just like that."

He's lucky. That's like ~$100 for an ambulance. Typical ambulance ride in the US is billed in the thousands and the officer probably would have given him a ticket for sleeping in the street because why not maximize fines.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Kaiser_senpai wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

how can it be ace of diamond when he was working on one of the later episodes of the series, for a show that just started, how can it be a "later episode"? Are you sure youre not thinking of another show?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
@kinghumanity

Did you really just try to assign the blame on the assistant? Really?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
He didn't blame the assistant, he was pointing out that fear of being retaliated or demoted by the company just because they asked for basic humane conditions is the source of the problem.
(The company's policy)
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
how can it be ace of diamond when he was working on one of the later episodes of the series, for a show that just started, how can it be a "later episode"? Are you sure youre not thinking of another show?

I forgot about the "one of the later episodes" part of the PA's comments. It's definitely not Ace of the Diamond Act II then, so I'll stand by my guess that it's Boogiepop and Others. One of the last episodes featured some cuts that seemed unfinished to me, with characters "teleporting" between key frames with no in-between animation.
Alcest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Yeah, no. Unions are an unnecessary evil.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather be underemployed or outright unemployed rather than suffer the sort of labor exploitation described.

Some unions can be abusive and corrupt. But the lack of unions is the greatest abuse of all. In the end, the fact is collective efforts and bargains are necessary, because a single person's health or life are worth nothing to a company. Groups such as unions are needed in order to push for better working conditions.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I literally live right next to this building. Me and my boyfriend have had an ongoing joke for awhile every time we pass by how the lights are always on. Then this happened and now I just genuinely feel bad when I walk by at 3am on a Saturday and the lights are still on...
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
"Oh, overwork huh." I had some IV dripped into me, paid the 10,000 yen ambulance fee, and then went home just like that."

He's lucky. That's like ~$100 for an ambulance. Typical ambulance ride in the US is billed in the thousands and the officer probably would have given him a ticket for sleeping in the street because why not maximize fines.

He is not lucky, the USA in particular just sucks that much when it comes to the health care industry
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Yeah, no. Unions are an unnecessary evil.

OMG ... do you know what a union actually is? A union is a group of employees who agree to form a collective to allow them to have greater strength in bargaining against an employer to even out power imbalances. That is it. Nothing else. How exactly is that evil?????

Of course when you get a group of people together sometimes they can be not-so-nice-people, just like some employers can. That is just people being not-so-nice-people, nothing more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2