• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse's Japanese Animators Share Their Experiences

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It had to be really interesting for these animators to be working on Spider-Verse. Especially considering that movie was made by a studio owned by a Japanese powerhouse like Sony.
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
I will preface this by saying that I've never held a job in Japan, but I've had friends work for Honda in the states. My perception is that work in Japan follows very rigid procedures. It is always A then B then C then D then E. There seems to be great respect for the process and doing your best within it. In the US, the truly inovative create a process that is more like A then Z then B then 4 then E.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like the work environment for the film was pretty healthy, which is a good thing. Hopefully this film becomes a positive influence for the industry overseas too.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
It sounds like the work environment for the film was pretty healthy, which is a good thing. Hopefully this film becomes a positive influence for the industry overseas too.

It wasn't that well received in Japan so I have doubts on that
meruru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I've never held a job in Japan, but I've had friends work for Honda in the states. My perception is that work in Japan follows very rigid procedures. It is always A then B then C then D then E. There seems to be great respect for the process and doing your best within it. In the US, the truly inovative create a process that is more like A then Z then B then 4 then E.

Japanese workplace culture seems in general much more formal (suit and ties are still very much a thing!), whereas I can't conceive of American animators having a formal workplace culture, as nearly every one I've met is a little nutty. I'd be curious to know what their impression of the workplace culture was. We got a little mention of it with the mention of the decorate your desk thing.

I haven't worked in Japan either, but having worked on teams working with people from Japan, one major difference I can say for sure is that Americans have a tendency to throw out a request just to test the waters, expecting if it's unreasonable, their team will pushback. Which is a TERRIBLE clash with the Japanese culture of, if the boss even remotely suggests something, we must get it done no matter what it takes, no objections. The Americans were puzzled that the Japanese said yes without any discussion, and I can only imagine the Japanese workers were off overworking themselves to death to meet what was obviously an unreasonable request.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:

All this talks reminds of that Cartoon Network show Steven Universe that people rag on because it's always off model and can't be consistent with it's proportions. One episode the main character goes up to a character's knee, another he's just as tall as them. Apparently the creator wants everyone to do whatever they want so it leads to huge inconsistencies and off model stuff each episode so there's not much in the way of guidelines. People complain about QUALITY in anime, but it sounds like it's deliberate in cases like this.

The art style and animation for Spider-Verse never appealed to me so I never saw it, but hearing they did it the way CG anime does explains a lot. Especially if the guys behind Knights of Sidonia were involved. I never liked that kind of CG style or the "animated on twos" thing where it looks like a computer game chugging on a bad PC.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuko Ikeda said that working on Spider-Verse expanded her outlook as an animator. Depicting Miles's father was a challenge for her because he is a black man, and Ikeda could not use her own expressions as reference.

This reminds me of something I once saw about Japanese animators or manga artists looking at celeb references when they draw black people so they don't end up looking...awkward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1