• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex USA to Release Sword Art Online II BD Box Set in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is always the most expensive releases out there. These are like 1999 prices, not 2019.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
Sorry Aniplex, if you are going to sell overpriced BD sets long after a show airs containing what some argue is the worst installment of a show, especially after releasing the best parts already separately, you should put in a load of extras as compensation and I don't mean a couple of illustrations. Wonder what you are thinking. Title me "Not Buying"...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
RommieSG wrote:
Aniplex is always the most expensive releases out there. These are like 1999 prices, not 2019.
Their releases aren't as expensive as PonyCan USA's, although they are more frequent and visible. But I'd disagree on the "1999 prices" bit; this Sword Art Online II release is still considerably cheaper than what things were back then. Take the Tenchi Muyo OVA Ultimate Edition from July 2000; adjusted for inflation, its $119.98 MSRP = $176.50 today. And it's just over half the runtime of SAO2. On a price-per-episode basis in 2019$, that's $12.61 for TM vs. $6.67 for SAO2. Even mid-00s single DVDs were more expensive than what Aniplex is asking here.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't they just release the DVD set as well? I'd rather pay $70-80 for a set of DVDs than BDs for $140-160...
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
$160 for SAO is nuts to me, but what's worse, I saw a listing on RightStufAnime for a pre-order(?) for Cells at Work... for $140. Gotta love that $10/episode pricing right there.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
$160 for 25 episodes that are old and have been streamed to death... Hahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kudos for adding Spanish subtitles but might as well just add the Spanish dub.

We'll find alien life elsewhere before I ever shell out $$$ for an Aniplex release. This isn't Japan. People think here.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
This isn't Japan. People think here.

The problem is that people in Japan don't think(which isn't very nice to say), its that US and Japanese economies are different.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Their releases aren't as expensive as PonyCan USA's, although they are more frequent and visible. But I'd disagree on the "1999 prices" bit; this Sword Art Online II release is still considerably cheaper than what things were back then. Take the Tenchi Muyo OVA Ultimate Edition from July 2000; adjusted for inflation, its $119.98 MSRP = $176.50 today. And it's just over half the runtime of SAO2. On a price-per-episode basis in 2019$, that's $12.61 for TM vs. $6.67 for SAO2. Even mid-00s single DVDs were more expensive than what Aniplex is asking here.
It's interesting to note that both Pioneer and Aniplex are/were run by Hideki Goto.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I honestly cannot fathom the logic in these prices. They actively deter me from buying. You have to really, really, really (really) want to own the set if you're gonna shell out that much money.

Every time I'm interested in an Aniplex title, I always second guess myself and reconsider. How in the world is that good business? You want to entice people to buy your stuff, not scare them away...

I mean, the SAO movie alone was like $60. $80 if you got the LE. For a movie. And there is no way that you are going to convince me that material and labor costs to not just localize the movie, but even create it in the first place, are more expensive than a multi-million dollar blockbuster live-action film that I can buy on bluray for a quarter of that price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1