• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Amazing Stranger is the Guilty Pleasure of the Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
You mean, the gall force, you say.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I need to watch this. It sounds a little like a more fantastical HoiHoi-san.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The main thing that bothers me about this show is just that it's another "recursive anime," heavily referencing The Culture and made solely for otaku. All we've got in that category this season is this and Isekai Quartet, so maybe that trend is finally dying out, but it's still kind of disappointing that it exists. Especially when it takes the Big Bang Theory approach of "lol he's such a creep but also a harmless dork, so it's funny."
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
When Nona was freaking out about the reality of her situation, I can't be the only one who thought "Don't you get it!? You see the hat!? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!!!" right?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Just noticed the music in the opening scene is Luminous and Unstoppable. I wonder how they got the rights to that?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
... it's another "recursive anime," heavily referencing The Culture and made solely for otaku. All we've got in that category this season is this and Isekai Quartet, so maybe that trend is finally dying out

You do realize that you just jinxed yourself, right? You could have said the exact same thing about the Isekai genre (which has only two new series this season and one of them is said low budget short) and no one is expecting that to kick the bucket any time soon (unless truck-kun is involved).
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Steve wrote:
Well, the bar for short anime this season is just rolling around on the ground, so it's not hard for AMAZING STRANGER to clear it.

Maou: "Apologize! Apologize to all the fans of Senryu Girl and Isekai Quartet across Japan!"

In all seriousness, if this weren't a short-form anime, I would've dropped this series like a rock many times over by now. It isn't outright offensive or anything (or even its "short" status wouldn't be able to save it), it's just dull and filled with characters that might as well be actual plastic figures. Granted, Isekai Quartet is only decent at best, and this is coming from someone who has experience with all four franchises and gets all of the jokes.

Senryu Girl is held up by its centering around possibly the cutest couple of this season (which is helped by it not having much competition in that department).
Take notes, Wise Man's Grandchild. And go and sit in the corner and reflect on what you've done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1