• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamakan Shares His Reasoning for Leaving the Anime Industry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Someone enlighten me.
What exactly is wrong with modern anime and in it's industry according to Yamakan? What are his criticisms after all?
And what exactly he did to save anime and change the industry?
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, then.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Is this the second Miyazaki? Next year he's going to have another one last project.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This dude sounds like he has a huge ego problem. I'm sure anime will continue to do just fine without this guy.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I am skeptical that Yamakan will leave the anime industry but each time he does this it will become more difficult for him to get funding. It sounds like Hakubo did not turn out well, Yamakan knows that the movie is going to get criticized, and he has decided to once again complain about the anime industry. The same anime industry which covers a wide range of genres and last year included A Place Further Than The Universe, Bloom Into You, Cells at Work, Goblin Slayer, How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord, Planet With, Wotakoi, and Zombie Land Saga.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
So why again did he solicit money from Chinese fans for his new film, only to turn around and spew right wing propaganda about the WWII invasion of China, then get in a twitter flame war with the Chinese? Was it some sort of genius marketing campaign?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yamakan talked about how K-ON! (2009) gave him "the chills" and made him realize that he had lost his place in the industry. However, he also felt that he absolutely had to come back to the anime industry, which culminated in him directing Fractale (2011).

K-On! is a fondly remembered hit that launched the career of one of the industry's most prominent female voices. Yamada went onto direct A Silent Voice, arguably KyoAni's biggest success financially and critically. She's a sign of how KyoAni has changed for the better over the years and they're now one of the few animation studios with living wages and gender equality.

Meanwhile, Fractale flopped hard on both fronts and no one talks about it without also mentioning its failure. It made no impact, other than setting him on the path to becoming a broke woman hating racist who thinks he's Miyazaki. He's one of the few people whose departure from the industry could inspire people to cheer.

Anime isn't dead, but Yamakan's career absolutely is.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
It's still bizarre to me how much Yamakan IS the problem he complains about. K-On and Wake Up Girls occupy almost the same space in my brain.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yamakan talked about how K-ON! (2009) gave him "the chills" and made him realize that he had lost his place in the industry

Wut? I'm one of the few that didn't hate the first few eps of Lucky Star but those episodes really just a more boring version of K-On! How can any sane person trash K-On! when they allowed like 10 minutes of an episode to be about discussing how to eat a type of snack?

Fractal wasn't bad either but it wasn't unique. I just don't get it lol. Nothing this guy has done was really different than stuff we see every few seasons from other directors.

As a whole I do think anime has gotten worse in the last decade...but not for the same reasons he has. I think it's just a quantity over quality issue lately. Nothing is really unique, and that's unavoidable but executions have also gotten worse and shows seem more and more rushed.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
His he actually done anything worthwhile?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
His he actually done anything worthwhile?

He directed Kannagi, which I really have a soft spot for. Other than that he's mostly spent the last decade bitching and moaning and being a complete jerk.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
How annoying... like a person at a party who says that the party sucks, but doesn't leave and just sits brooding in a dark corner waiting for someone to feel sorry for him and ask him what's wrong just so they can say how they would throw a better party but never will.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Quote:
Yamakan talked about how K-ON! (2009) gave him "the chills" and made him realize that he had lost his place in the industry. However, he also felt that he absolutely had to come back to the anime industry, which culminated in him directing Fractale (2011).

K-On! is a fondly remembered hit that launched the career of one of the industry's most prominent female voices. Yamada went onto direct A Silent Voice, arguably KyoAni's biggest success financially and critically. She's a sign of how KyoAni has changed for the better over the years and they're now one of the few animation studios with living wages and gender equality.

Meanwhile, Fractale flopped hard on both fronts and no one talks about it without also mentioning its failure. It made no impact, other than setting him on the path to becoming a broke woman hating racist who thinks he's Miyazaki. He's one of the few people whose departure from the industry could inspire people to cheer.

Anime isn't dead, but Yamakan's career absolutely is.

Yamakan invoking K-On negatively does seem odd at first glance, but looking back at some of his previous statements about anime being dead, it becomes both clearer and less sensible. He said moe was becoming "fascist" because you couldn't show panties, which a) moe hasn't prevented anime from showing panty shots (or other fanservice), and b) not showing panties wouldn't mean anime was dead even if moe had lead to that. K-On probably figures in to his narrative as a popularizer of moe, though moe has much older roots than that (or Yamakan's involvement in the industry for that matter).

Beyond that, I'm not sure what Yamakan's problem with the industry was (aside from how they increasingly didn't want to work with him and critics and audiences didn't think a number of his works were a fraction as good as he thought they were) or why he thought the industry hasn't changed, even after reading this article. Does he elaborate, or was that it? Otherwise, it just seems like he is fishing for people saying "you've got a point there, Yamakan". Just vaguely gesturing at genuine issues, like industry conditions, or bete noires, like moe (though it is a bit passe as such these days), otaku, or China, and hoping people will project their own gripes onto it, even if they contradict his own views or those of others, even if he would include them as part of the otaku he is griping about. If there are problems with anime or the industry, Yamakan has not demonstrated any knowledge of it, and I will not give him credit until he does, and even then I am skeptical to give him such affirmation.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Proof that some people are their own worst enemy. Makes me cringe to see someone post garbage and reap the consequences but it's his own darn fault.
halo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
This sounds like someone who seems to value his own "genius" way more than the industry or fans do and since no one can understand how great he is and people aren't flocking to make his vision of the whole industry that the industry must be dead. Bye, don't let the door hit your posterior as you exit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2