• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hatsu*Haru GNs 6-7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh I really want to read this, but dammit why must Yen Press not have digital releases of everything?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm print only, I get to love this series. Laughing

All I can assume is that digital and print rights aren't always packaged together? Honestly, I wish that everything that sees print were to be released digitally too, and vice versa. There are quite a few series, not only for YenPress, that I would be buying if they weren't digital only.

As for this series, we've just crossed over the half way point with volume 7. Enjoyable ride so far.
meruru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
I only got to read the first five chapters, but I was immediately impressed by how well established the main characters are, and that they in just five chapters have very distinct personalities that aren't the typical bland, generic protagonists. I've been a bit hesitant to bite the bullet and actually buy it having only gotten to read the five chapters, because I've seen many a manga with a strong start become terrible further in, but reading this makes me think it sounds strong enough at least halfway through that I'm considering buying it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Oh I really want to read this, but dammit why must Yen Press not have digital releases of everything?

Trust me, Yen Press (and everyone else) always does everything they can to try and secure digital publishing rights. The problem is that many Japanese publishers are... deeply conservative, even by the standards of Japanese corporations. They don't trust the digital market and they don't understand it. In cases like this, it's all-but certain there are no digital copies available because the Japanese publisher insisted on it.

Kadokawa, for example, flatly refused to sell anything digitally for years... when they finally opened up to the digital market, relatively recently, they only did so with their own web app, allowing people to read many books for free... but only the first few books of each series. Because, to them, digital content is only a vehicle to advertise and drive sales of physical media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1