• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bean Bandit Premier

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I hope given the small budget that they won't be able to afford 3D cars and will hand-draw them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So the goal is a TV series.

Hey, Crunchyroll. You guys wanna make original shows right? And your previous attempt at announcing an original series ended up creating one of the biggest firestorms of 2018? Just saying.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could see that poster better.

I'm glad he changed Rally's hair back to blond. I could have rolled with the dark hair dark skinned Rally as well but I didn't care for that sandy colored version he had in that promo video. It also looks like her proportions are closer to her original Riding Bean design rather than her Gunsmith Cats design which I appreciate.
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Is it Sonada or Sonoda? Anyone know if they'll have a kickass intro as well?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope given the small budget that they won't be able to afford 3D cars and will hand-draw them.

Low-budget hand-animated cars might look worse than CGI with the same amount of money.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
JWagnesh8 wrote:
Is it Sonada or Sonoda? Anyone know if they'll have a kickass intro as well?

It's Kenichi Sonoda (or Sonoyan, to his fans). The article writer wrote it wrong, which is sad when we consider how well-known he used to be. Character designer for the Gall Force series, the original Bubblegum Crisis, Gainax' Otaku no Video, as well as his own Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats and Cannon God Exxaxion (the last two being manga series he created).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
It would be nice, if this picked up a TV series, or even got the Cannon God Exaxxion manga finished for the West.

Though Rally and gang would be in a Bean Bandit TV series, what I am really hoping for is a Gunsmith Cats TV series.

But any news about Kenichi Sonoda is good news. Though I wish Johji Manabe would get some love too.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
One thing not mentioned is that this will be a subtitled release.

The Kickstarter page is at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beanbandit/kenichi-sonodas-bean-bandit-new-anime-project
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It would be nice, if this picked up a TV series, or even got the Cannon God Exaxxion manga finished for the West.

Though Rally and gang would be in a Bean Bandit TV series, what I am really hoping for is a Gunsmith Cats TV series.

But any news about Kenichi Sonoda is good news. Though I wish Johji Manabe would get some love too.

Exaxxion will get an adaptation probably around the same time Netflix ponies up for a full adaptation of The Five Star Stories and the studio executives don’t lose their minds working with Nagano.

It’s clear there’s a market for this, so why any new studio *coughCrunchyrollcough* didn’t look at all the Kickstarter pilots out there like this, like The Mighty Grand Piton and try to get something going is a mystery to me. To paraphrase what Alec Baldwin said in Glengarry Glen Ross, people are waiting to watch these shows, they went on the website to give them money to get your attention! They’re lining up, waiting to give you money for subscriptions! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Low-budget hand-animated cars might look worse than CGI with the same amount of money.
It's only about 10 minutes long, one animator can handle all the cuts for something that short.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Really hope this gets the series greenlit!
It'll be damn good to have Sonoda characters and those car chases back on the screen. Glad I backed since this will still be really good too even though I was technically originally hoping more for finally a full GC TV series when the whole possibility of this becoming real originally started.
Can't wait!

TarsTarkas wrote:

Yeah.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
One thing not mentioned is that this will be a subtitled release.

The Kickstarter page is at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beanbandit/kenichi-sonodas-bean-bandit-new-anime-project

Hope to have this by Labor Day. Maybe.

Waiting patiently,
(signed) Kickstarter backer
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Who would I have to kill for a GSC TV series? (although the end of the Manga left me a little sad).

I've loved pretty much everything I've seen that he had a hand in, and have ended up double and triple dipping on some of it (latest being the kickstarter BD's for BGC, GSC and currently waiting for Riding Bean).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:
It's Kenichi Sonoda (or Sonoyan, to his fans). The article writer wrote it wrong, which is sad when we consider how well-known he used to be. Character designer for the Gall Force series, the original Bubblegum Crisis, Gainax' Otaku no Video, as well as his own Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats and Cannon God Exxaxion (the last two being manga series he created).

Ugh, a little embarrassed about those typos. I'll have a word with whoever edited it. They should have noticed that his name wasn't greenlinked. It's interesting to note that the first three references to Sonoda are misspelled, but the next three aren't, so I think they're just typos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1