• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Promare

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
So is it coming to international theaters or what?

I’d really like to know how to watch this.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
So is it coming to international theaters or what?

I’d really like to know how to watch this.

yes they mentioned it being licensed in 63 or so countries in one of the interviews.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
So anyone licensed this? I was half expecting Funimation, as they have gotten Triggers last 2 shows, if not them my second guess is Aniplex.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Awww yeah, I'm so in. Can't freaking wait!

Yeah I wonder who's gotten it. Hope we get another great dub cast for this as I've loved both Funi's and Aniplex/BangZoom's dubs for these.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Watched the movie at a Japanese theater, and overall I would grade it a B+. It would have definitely worked better as a one-cour anime series, and given Director Imaishi's track record, I wouldn't really be bothered with the "inconsistency" that has plagued Studio Trigger's works so much.

Some of the pros and cons:
+ Animation: As mentioned in the review, the animation is superb. This is probably one of the best use of hand-drawn animation combined with CGI this year so far, alongside Kimetsu no Yaiba and the second FS/N movie.
+ Sound: The movie has a gorgeous soundtrack, not surprising considering it's composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, whose style fits perfectly with the adrenaline-pumped, hot-blooded tone of the story. The voice acting is pretty good overall too.

- Characters: I have to disagree with the reviewer on this one - focusing on just three of the main cast didn't work quite as well with me. I would have liked to see more of the side cast fleshed out, but considering this is just a two hour long feature film, that would have been a tall order. Which is why I said that this could have been a one-cour series. The main villain of the film (no spoilers) is also quite bland with possibly one of the most generic backstories and motives imaginable.
- Plot: This is a really predictable film - once you've watched the first action setpiece, the rest of the film goes pretty much as anyone would have imagined. And while I get that this is an Imaishi's work and the pacing would be super fast, it's a little too fast for my taste. I would have liked to see the action scenes being spread out with one or two more slower character scenes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:51 am Reply with quote
For more insights about the creation of Promare, Japan's NHK channel series "Imagine-nation" just did an episode about it in English - it can be freely viewed here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2002336/
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
I really have to reiterate the review's praise for Masato Sakai's voice work—his character may not be terribly interesting, but he really goes out on a limb and delivers something unique.

I'm also with MasterGhost on the characters—somehow I knew when the teaser sequence introduced us to the various members of the squad that we'd basically never see them again, and I was right. This is one of those films that depends in part on an emotional connection to characters we just haven't been able to get to know. The sisters in particular have an arc that would be great if only we'd seen them interact as sisters at all.

At the same time, it's 1,111% worth seeing in the theaters for that Trigger bombast and pure manly vigor. You will literally have a bounce in your step as you walk out of the cinema, and you probably won't be able to stop smiling for at least a couple of hours (so don't watch Promare right before attending a funeral).
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Looking at the previews, the only thing the CG doesn't work well for is fire, which is kind of unfortunate given the premise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1